Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Opinions on my GT3076R setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Also, I thought that the earlier 7 blade wheel was more adept at early boost but fell away a bit earlier than the current designs? Maybe I had that backwards.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCab
Greetings Raj:
I think you have a problem that is not related to the turbocharger sizing. If your GT30R is in good mechanical condition there is no way that you have 2 psi @ 3K RPM and should go up to basically 5K RPMs to achieve full boost of 15 psi. The Garret GTR series are ball bearings turbos and spool up faster than non ball bearings turbos. Your dyno sheet shows positive MAP pressure @ 2600 RPM. Which means that your Turbine AR is not the cause for the big turbo lag your experiencing. To the contrary it could be a power robber if you crank up the boost. Remember I have a GT35R with a .82 hot side and my car achieve fool boost (21psi) at about 4K if I remember correctly. My GT35R .82 AR turbine flows more gas than your GT30R .82 AR, which means that my car should have more lag than yours.

Before you spend money and time in a new turbo, I suggest you to check your BOV and your Waste Gate valve. If you have a too soft spring on your Waste Gate Valve it will open before is needed, specially if you have too much backpressure in the crossover pipe. Believe me, it happens to me when I have a #8 hot side installed in my car. Also a defective BOV can leak air not allowing a quick pressure build up on the manifold.

The amount of blades in the compressor wheel or any other efficiency improvement's on current turbos will not improve your lag issue. As another forum member says before, it could mask the problem.
Hi my friend, how are you? We have no way of knowing what exactly was being done when they did this dyno. They spent days tuning this car. This could very well be a run where they were purely concentrating on high rpm runs, which would means they didn't get on the boost hard (WOT). I think it is assumption on my part to think this that is a WOT graph. I know they were working the powerband with idle maps, midrange maps and high rpm maps at different points.
My best approach is to dyno the car 1st at WOT and see what I get. It is too much guess work at this point. It would tell me the correct AFR's, Boost level and peak hp and tq.
Once that is out of the way and the graphs match, I can start looking into restrictions/leaks.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Update:
Took the car for its 1st long trip (260 miles back and forth to hershey) and it ran flawlessly. Boost comes on strong but no way to compare until I get her on a dyno. So far, very happy with the results.

Will probably require some tuning to get the afr's right with the smaller hotside. Let's see where she is currently.

More to come..

Last edited by RajDatta; 09-11-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Bump... Raj, any dyno results? At what RPM do you see 15 psi now?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Thom, no dyno yet but the boost comes on quick and I hit maximum boost aound 3-3.2k. As expected, that dyno run was for tuning purposes only. Been too busy to get the car dynoed, but plan to shorly.

Quick Reply: Opinions on my GT3076R setup