First rides in a 944 turbo at the track

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First rides in a 944 turbo at the track

I have never once thought any Porsche to be anything but excellent, but this past weekend I rode along in two different 944 turbos at Barber Motorsports Park. One was a modestly race-prepared car, the other a track rat.

The race unit not only made me smile, it had me showing teeth. The track rat was mild in comparison, but it still gave me those happy butterflies. I gotta hand it to you guys/gals, these babies are a blast.

Just thought I would share. No, I do not have plans to buy one, but I sure hope to ride in one again.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you enjoyed the ride They can be pretty potent machines on the track.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, indeed, Josh. The track rat was a little rough - but that is to be expected. I can feel for these babies as "momentum cars" by comparison to say, the Cayman R that sped by us. You being in Atlanta ... I bet a ride in your car at RA would be magnificent!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ill never forget the first 'proper' ride i had gotten with an experienced driver and a well equipped car. It was at Lime Rock, the first track day i had ever done. My friend John (Wormhole) asked his friend Al to take me for a ride. I thought we were going to go out for like 3 or 4 laps, ended up staying out the entire 20 minute session. My face and hands were buzzing from the adrenaline.. the grip and stopping power was something i had never experienced in a car before.

Ill also never forget the first track day i did with a good set of summer tires and and track pads. Took me the entire day to relearn how to drive the track!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Beautiful car, Duck!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for popping into our little corner of the Porsche world. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

btw...no Cayman would go past a real track rat. ;-)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Haha - wait until you get to ride in a GT3 cup car.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Van
Haha - wait until you get to ride in a GT3 cup car.
As an instructor, I have ridden in all kinds of cars. I do hope someday for a ride like you describe, but not from a student! Lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Real race cars are a relevation on track compared to the compromise of cars used on the street, even if they are track prepared.

Race cars and racing also give you a different perspective when you instruct. You are forced to use the tool to do a lot more and also get much closer to the edge.

Oh, if you don't want to let that Cayman R by, take my car out.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Ill also never forget the first track day i did with a good set of summer tires and and track pads. Took me the entire day to relearn how to drive the track!
Ha! Hear hear. It still makes me smile, when I think of how surprised I was.

Nice of you to stop by -- thanks for the kind words. I think it's an unfortunate fact of life that we 944 guys have a bit of a chip on our shoulder...always wanting to show the "real" P-car guys that our cars can compete, too!

"Challenge Accepted!"

On a related note, the first time I had the opportunity to drive a 911 on track, it was a hoot. SUCH a great torque curve; loved how it behaved under braking.

I'm assuming the cars you rode with had modified turbo setups? Definitely one of my favorite -- and least favorite -- qualities of the car. Teaches one to be very judicious with the throttle. Every once in a while an instructor will ride along with me and will say, mid corner, "foot to the floor! Foot to the floor!" Ok, you asked for it....this is why I don't put my foot to the floor (as we induce copious throttle oversteer on corner exit).

I'm telling you, it's the 951 and 911 guys who should be banding together against those Cayman/Boxster guys. Both the 951 and 911 have definitive driving-at-the-limit quirks, but by comparison the mid-engine guys are positively easy.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I raced Spec Miata years ago ... talk about a challenging little beast. I love the power in my 911s, but I sure miss the way a Miata can corner. The 944s reminded me of that crazy cornering ability. And yes, I definitely can understand how one would want to be careful in a 944 in corners when the turbo spools up. I would have probably spun many times. Lol. I think it takes a lot of patience and skill to bring a 944 to its peak. Hats off to those that can. I will be watching my mirrors a little closer now.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice to see a 911 guy giving props to our cars. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I call it like I see it is all, Michelle. If some folks are in denial, they are missing out. You must have forgotten who I am, silly ... I was in the WOR calendar the very first year. Lol. No big ... my nick is kind of weird. It's for "Bonni", my first name. Remember now?

Anyway, I know what 911 type of whom you speak. I have been looked down upon by them, too. Most folks are cool, but that occasional bad apple sure makes the pie taste crappy. I will never be "that guy". Unless you start saying Aztecs are cool. Then I might have to wake you from your nightmare.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:39 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Caymen R passed you!? I'm sorry you rode in a slower 944 turbo!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, in their defense, we weren't allowed passengers in groups four or five, so we went out in three, which had passing restrictions. And that new Cayman is pretty dang fast. I am so jealous of their horsepower.

Quick Reply: First rides in a 944 turbo at the track