Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dry sleeve v Alusil ?.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:08 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood

i would point to the success enjoyed by Refresh951.

Countless dyno pulls, auto cross events, DE events and daily driving over several years with no piston/liner issues whatsoever.

A great testimony in real life experience from where I sit.
Are you implying iron is equal or superior to Alusil or Nikasil for a 944 cylinder surface?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:37 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Wow, i thought wossner (and mahle) were the only game in town for alusil.

if they can coat an SBC piston to work, that would cut 600$ or better out of a stroker build.
Of course, any piston can have coating applied.
The pre-send requirement for the Swain is to glass bead the piston to bare aluminum surface.

My top running engine in the Sp2 I show here in race vids is stock cast pistons coated with Swain PC9.

It's the last engine I will do with cast but all you have to do is use the factory clearance since it's the exact same piston still.

When you move to forged, you have to pay attention to any difference in piston/cylinder clearance recommended by the manufacturer, taking into account them film build thickness of the coating you use when fitting to final cylinder dimension.

What I would do additional to skirts, is have DLC or equivalent done to the ring groove area.
This lessens the stiction of the rings when transitioning between between upward and downward moments where they otherwise might not keep optimum ring seal with only ring tension to keep them expanded.
Ring mass can have an effect here and I don't see anyone talking about the SB Chevy piston rings being 25% more mass than the 944 stock rings @ 1.5mm v 2.0mm for the top ring and 1.2mm v 1.5mm for the #2 ring.
Gas porting the piston either vertically or radially and/or adding a machined semicircle void between the top two ring lands adds an insurance margin against ring flutter (less than optimum sealing, increased wear) which is a product of engine speed + stiction + ring mass - ring tension.
Adding ring tension is counter productive...

T
Old 08-26-2018, 01:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 498 Posts

I had thought that only wossner and mahle had an alusil compatible coating. Have heard of swain And others over the years but no success stories in 944 or 928.

interesting...
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Are you implying iron is equal or superior to Alusil or Nikasil for a 944 cylinder surface?
How did you read that into my response?

Merely shared real world experience that we've both read posted by Shawn.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:23 PM
blade7
Drifting

How did you read that into my response?

Merely shared real world experience that we've both read posted by Shawn.
You seemed to be endorsing the hybrid stroker iron liners. Which cylinder finish/material would you prefer?
Old 08-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

How much power are you wanting? That would be the deciding factor I would think and how long do expect it to last between rebuilds? The more power the less time between rebuilds regardless. Dry sleeves offer more potential power benefits but with more power other items are the weak link. I would think alusi would handle up to 450hp in a 104mm block and would last a good 60 to 100 thousand miles depending on how much your foot is into it. But like stated before there is a point where aluminum will egg shape the cylinder walls with lots of boost.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
You seemed to be endorsing the hybrid stroker iron liners. Which cylinder finish/material would you prefer?
What I'd prefer is to better duplicate the experience documented. My apologies for reviving your old thread that I thought may prove beneficial for information regarding recent sleeving experience.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:43 AM
blade7
Drifting

What I'd prefer is to better duplicate the experience documented. My apologies for reviving your old thread that I thought my prove beneficial for information regarding recent sleeving experience.
No apology necessary. If the plated ali liners than Penguinracer mentioned work, I learned something new. I'm still interested what your preferred cylinder material is though?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:49 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Just a follow up because I mentioned but didn't have full info at home.

PoyDyn (Polymer Dynamics) is the piston skirt coating company that CP/Carillo recommends for their forged piston to be compatible in Nik/Alusil.

In Houston.

http://www.polydyn.com/pistons

T
Old 08-27-2018, 10:06 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Any leads on alusil type rings that would fit a generic piston?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Two things:

Arias has been sold to CP Carillo. We used to get all our piston forgings from Arias, but they are Carillo forgings now. That is an improvement. We were surprised to find that some metric pistons sizes were no longer available to us after the switch. We use Wiseco pistons now and are happier than we were with the Arias ones. Coatings for Alusil (usually none) and Nikasil are different.

Same with pistons rings. Because the Nikasil has a harder surface, the piston rings for it need to be softer and are usually a form of cast iron. Alusil, although tough, is easily scratched and relatively "soft". Because of this, rings for Alusil are harder, and often chromed. Order your rings when you order your pistons, from the same supplier and at the same time. That's the best way to get it right IMO..
Old 08-27-2018, 10:57 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Any leads on alusil type rings that would fit a generic piston?
Total Seal

Ductile-moly top ring, cast second ring, and a chrome faced 3 piece oil control ring.

By "generic" if you mean @ 100mm bore, part number for above at EBS Racing Don Weaver (don@ebsracing.com) should be -
Total Seal 100 944 - 944 SET 100mm - 100x1.5-1.75-3.0

T
Old 08-27-2018, 04:54 PM
steven74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Just a follow up because I mentioned but didn't have full info at home.

PoyDyn (Polymer Dynamics) is the piston skirt coating company that CP/Carillo recommends for their forged piston to be compatible in Nik/Alusil.

In Houston.

http://www.polydyn.com/pistons

T
I can second PolyDyn. I used to help on some dirt track sprint cars that always used PolyDyn for over 20 years and they know their stuff. Many positive reviews from area engine builders too. I live about 20 minutes from them and can assist with any local Houston work.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Total Seal

Ductile-moly top ring, cast second ring, and a chrome faced 3 piece oil control ring.

By "generic" if you mean @ 100mm bore, part number for above at EBS Racing Don Weaver (don@ebsracing.com) should be -
Total Seal 100 944 - 944 SET 100mm - 100x1.5-1.75-3.0

T
was wondering if TS or anybody made a alusil type ring set (is it barrel shape? or something like that) in "Regular size" like 4"/101.6.
if there's an easy way to buy an off the shelf SBC piston and ring set, coat it and stick it in alusil barrels.

Quick Reply: Dry sleeve v Alusil ?.