Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3 Liter 16v Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, don't know how to copy and paste link. Here is a picture, analog for $50 and digital for $100, I prefer the analog dial indicator. Easier to see the fluctuation.

Name:  image-846510226.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  187.0 KB
Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
If I were home, I would ship you mine. It is one of those tools that collects dust most of the time. However, they are quite cheap on Amazon. You don't need a super expensive one.
Thanks. Though TBH unless I find a great deal on a set of Alusil compatible pistons I wont need to measure the block anytime soon.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:34 AM
pa951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates Bas?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I would definitely trust that YouTube video over Chris White's opinion, NOT!
I have great respect for opinions from Chris, and he surely has a good reason for deck plate.

That said, factory manual does not require deck plate of any kind for re boring or exposing alusil silica particles and factory standards usually work.

It requires however that the griddle is bolted on and torqued to values provided.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Voith
I have great respect for opinions from Chris, and he surely has a good reason for deck plate.

That said, factory manual does not require deck plate of any kind for re boring or exposing alusil silica particles and factory standards usually work.

It requires however that the griddle is bolted on and torqued to values provided.
Judging by the piston/bore clearances and the number they built Porsche were doing it right, but who knows if they were machining the blocks hot or taking plenty of time to machine them.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Judging by the piston/bore clearances and the number they built Porsche were doing it right, but who knows if they were machining the blocks hot or taking plenty of time to machine them.
The factory was only trying to make 217hp......
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris White
The factory was only trying to make 217hp......
Good for them the Cup cars made 290 . I'll be going with a company that uses a deck plate and a bar through the mains though.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Good for them the Cup cars made 290 . I'll be going with a company that uses a deck plate and a bar through the mains though.
I would guess that the cup car engines got a little extra attention when they were assembled!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do hope so!

But back to the first question:

Next week my engine will be installed permanently (i hope), we will make the downpipe, the exhaust and weld in the bellows on the cross-over pipe!

Than i only have to make my inlet, inlet piping, look for a suitable AWIC and lots more..
Old 02-14-2014, 11:22 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts

I've prepared many 944 blocks, and certainly have no aversion to using a deck plate. We use them on everything that has threaded holes in the deck surface, like typical V8's and many other engine types. Porsche designers were smart enough to have the head stud anchor well down in the block; purpose being to minimize distortion of the cylinders when the head is installed and torqued.

I've tested 3L blocks with high quality bore gauges and have found that distortion is minimal (one or two ten-thousands of an inch). I never advise cutting corners, but I can say with confidence there is no need with factory torques and factory studs. I also tested distortion with special head studs I had made that are torqued to 85 ft. lbs. Still no distortion.

I never tested distortion with aftermarket head studs (I don't use them), nor with extreme cylinder head torques. Maybe others have.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
Finally got a chance to shoot a pic of the cross over with the bellows and the rest of the exhaust.
I am waiting for a new Tial flange to complete the wastegate exhaust pipe. The Wastegate is one of Tial's watercooled versions - more compact and easier to fit (the 968 bell housing does not leave room for the 951 style vertical mounting).
I spot ugly Mig welds.......
Old 02-15-2014, 12:08 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
I've prepared many 944 blocks, and certainly have no aversion to using a deck plate. We use them on everything that has threaded holes in the deck surface, like typical V8's and many other engine types. Porsche designers were smart enough to have the head stud anchor well down in the block; purpose being to minimize distortion of the cylinders when the head is installed and torqued.

I've tested 3L blocks with high quality bore gauges and have found that distortion is minimal (one or two ten-thousands of an inch). I never advise cutting corners, but I can say with confidence there is no need with factory torques and factory studs. I also tested distortion with special head studs I had made that are torqued to 85 ft. lbs. Still no distortion.

I never tested distortion with aftermarket head studs (I don't use them), nor with extreme cylinder head torques. Maybe others have.
I re-read my post and I don't think my point is clear: There is no reason to use a deck plate when boring/honing cylinders on a 944 block. The only important thing is to bore with a machine that references the main bore housing, and hone with a proper automated cylinder hone (no hand hones). Oh yes… hone stone selection is based on the piston ring material being used.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

So.. Now another update.. Have been sourcing a lot of parts and have spend 2 weekends on the entire exhaust. It's almost finished now , just the muffler and the tip to have it finished!

So ofcourse, here are some pics. You will notice the non-standard location of the WG..

All exhaust parts have been put into a nice bath to get all the welding residu off.. Unfortunately the bellows suffered from it; the ring which holds the net which is around it wasn't proper stainless so it melted in the bath. Had to get a new one afterwards.

New flywheel, original Turbo Cup flywheel!

New Clutch, Spec Stage 3. Many thanks to Duke!

So.. Next thing will be installing the clutch and flywheel, making a support for the oil pickup tube and than onto the intake.. Which will be challenging looking at this picture i just made..:

Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awesome looking build and exhaust.

What hoist are you using there? Looks like it goes nice and high. Is it stable?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Well.. That's a good question! It's from a local company called Datona (so it's Dutch)

This is the one: http://www.datona.nl/auto-schaarhefbrug.html

It goes to about 190cm and the garage is exactly high enough to get the car all the way to the top. It's also completely sunken into the floor. Very stable and stay's up without leaking

Quick Reply: 3 Liter 16v Turbo build