3 Liter 16v Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3 Liter 16v Turbo build

Hi all!

I've been on rennlist quite some time and have been reading a lot of topics, but until now i haven't been posting a lot here. Which is probably about to change!

First to introduce myself; I'm Bas Henneman, 23 years old and from the Netherlands.

And here a short version on the way to long story about my car:

2.5 years ago on my 21st birthday my parents gave me my 944, it was only 1500 euro's and was still running.. So the rebuild began. I actually got the complete rear axle removed, had all the suspension replaced (yellow koni's) added the S2 torsion bars and replaced the brakepads for CL6's.
Added the 10w60 racing oil and keep on going.. Got it repainted in the original colour and added the 968 turbo RS rear spoiler. Got some new rims, original Artec's

And ofcourse, i went to the track to test it all out and it was wonderful!

But now to the point:

I got a little bit tired of the fact that every modern car is keeping up with me or even passing me so I got myself a new engine.

I bought a S2 engine, which was completely redone early this year. But i has a strange "tick" in it, which is probably a connectingrod bearing. Next thing is to get is all weight out and balanced. Further i want to get a turbo on it (looking for something like a T67). The turbo itself won't be a problem, the intake manifold as well. We already started working on a manifold.

My goal is to achieve a maximum of 350bhp but mostly i'll be running at 300.

But now the main question. What should i really be looking into?
Is it really necessary to get the compression lowered?
And what would be the best way to do it? Get a Cometic headgasket or is it better to get connecting rods which are shorter than the original ones?
Further, will the original pistons work?

Later today i'll be posting some photo's. I've got some pictures of the car and the current engine rebuild.

Kind regards,
Bas Henneman
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

You're best off getting custom rods and pistons made up. That way you know what you're dealing with. For a turbo S2 build have a look at this thread. T67 is too big for only 300-350bhp.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-together.html
Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Read all of it.. Nice! And thanks!

T67 was going to be from a friend of mine.. But as i'm not going to get over the 350bhp, i'll be getting something smaller than. Probably something like a 6262.

I also read in the topic that with standard 951 rods, those rods can take this power easily!! I'll start looking for the pistons, but i also read that someone used the 951 rods with standard s2 pistons.. Still, you're right, that way i'll now what i'm dealing with.

So here for some other questions:

How about the injectors? are 72's enough? I'll be putting an 044 pump in to make sure they're running properly.

Engine management will be a megasquirt 3.

Sparkplugs will be powered by single coils for exact ignition timing.

Cometic headgasket would be a good idea but i also found this one:

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/gcs_head_gasket.php

And what about the standard intercooler of a 951, does it do the job or is it too small..

Wow i've got just too much questions.. Is there any chance i can give someone a call someday?

Here are the pictures:

Current view of the car

Engine bay how it looks like at the moment (just altered a view things more, dont look at the poor quality..)

Beating on a boxer s at the Dutch TT Circuit Assen.. Guess what.. I won.. :O

This is how the engine arrived at my house

Yesterday evening i started like this

Quickly went to this:

And onto these:

Greetz,
Bas
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Check if that water pump has got the larger impeller for the 104mm block. The stamping suggest otherwise, and it looks like a "new old stock" Porsche pump.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Oke thanks Thom! I'll take it apart tomorrow. Balance shafts, water pump and the head!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Well.. Today i started taking of the waterpump. And than I found out what the "tick" in the engine was. The gasket which closes off the thermostat in the waterpump was the wrong type so the thermostat was tinkeling around in the waterpump which makes a really worn connectingrod bearing sound..

So this probably saves me a lot of money!

Tomorrow i'll start on the rest and i'll update about what the machineshop is going to do on the engine!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Very cool and very nice looking car.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Read all of it.. Nice! And thanks!

T67 was going to be from a friend of mine.. But as i'm not going to get over the 350bhp, i'll be getting something smaller than. Probably something like a 6262.

I also read in the topic that with standard 951 rods, those rods can take this power easily!! I'll start looking for the pistons, but i also read that someone used the 951 rods with standard s2 pistons.. Still, you're right, that way i'll now what i'm dealing with.

So here for some other questions:

How about the injectors? are 72's enough? I'll be putting an 044 pump in to make sure they're running properly.

Engine management will be a megasquirt 3.

Sparkplugs will be powered by single coils for exact ignition timing.

Cometic headgasket would be a good idea but i also found this one:

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/gcs_head_gasket.php

And what about the standard intercooler of a 951, does it do the job or is it too small..

Wow i've got just too much questions.. Is there any chance i can give someone a call someday?
72's are big enough for your goals

There's nothing wrong with the cap and rotor.

the cometic HG is good but you'll need solid studs and get your head and block decked.

the standard intercooler is good for your goals.

I wouldn't use mexa squirt, I'd rather just get the M-Tune or N/A tune (depends on your DME you've got in your car and have a near perfect tune.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Oke thanks!

I know there is nothing wrong with the cap and rotor, but i'd like to be able to fit a mini computer in my dash with a 7" lcd touchscreen.. And that's only useful if i can use the megasquirt.. And when i use the megasquirt, i'd also like to be able to get some pre-ignition to keep the turbo spooling.

Solid studs will be ordered! And i'll get the cometic HG. But what do you mean by getting the head and block decked?

I'll get myself a standard intercooler than, I was already thinking about it but i wasn't sure if it would be big enough.

And by the way. I found myself a nice Turbo S gearbox with lsd because the NA gearbox will probably be schredded to pieces..!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Make sure you keep those camshaft caps in proper orientation. They were line bored.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Make sure you keep those camshaft caps in proper orientation. They were line bored.
Got that covered! I placed all caps on the camshaft in the right way on my storage shelf and made pictures of how there were installed!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Good. I figured you knew about it, but wanted to make sure!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Good. I figured you knew about it, but wanted to make sure!
Thanks for caring! There are lots of things i know.. But there are a lot of things i don't know as well.

Like: The waterpump, I took it out and appears to be the 2.5l version. As i'll be running a Precision turbo without watercooling, will it matter?

And another one, can i use the standard S2 throttle body and put some plugs on the water lines? Or is it better to use a turbo throttlebody? Or one completely different? As i'm building my own intake it doesn't really matter kind of flange i'll weld onto it.

By the way, has anyone ever tried a "front mounted" turbo, as in, in the place where the airbox of the NA engine? Not because of function but just because of looks?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would stick to the standard turbo set up.

I would switch to another style of TB, the S2 uses a dual Oring sealing method that can be an issue.

Also put the proper water pump on there.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Hi Doug,

It was just spinning through my mind, but i always like to do things different than anyone else has done, just like the twinturbo setup on the left side of the engine instead of the standard right side..

What kind of TB would you recommend? The turbo version or a complete different type?

I'll just sell my current waterpump as it's very new (replaced about 5k ago) and get the proper one! Do you have a partnumber for that one?

Quick Reply: 3 Liter 16v Turbo build