Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Watercooled wastegate?
Yep, the most recent Tial waste gates have a water cooling provision that allows them so be smaller (no cooling fins). They also have vband clamps that make it much easier to install and remove them.

The wastegate in the picture is a 44mm wastegate!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chris:

Nice, exactly what I was referring too! By the way, since you did/do a lot of business with SFR, do you know who's car is n the picture above? That is a beautiful motor.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Yep, the most recent Tial waste gates have a water cooling provision that allows them so be smaller (no cooling fins). They also have vband clamps that make it much easier to install and remove them.

The wastegate in the picture is a 44mm wastegate!
I have the same, check a view pages back and you'll see my current WG, it has also the possibility to watercool it!

***Nevermind; here is the picture of the newest Tial 44mm WG:

@Chris; i'll get the bellows this saturday as well as the other vband flanges so we can finish the crossover pipe!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Man, those new smaller wastegates are huge.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Chris:

Nice, exactly what I was referring too! By the way, since you did/do a lot of business with SFR, do you know who's car is n the picture above? That is a beautiful motor.
I remember seeing some pictures of it quite a while ago but never heard anything more about it.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If the WG is located for example right behind the turbo directly on headers I could understand the benefit of a smaller WG lung and the need to cool it down because it's very close to the engine, but on our cars, routing coolant lines down to the WG all the way through the various heat points of the engine adds potential issues more than additional space of a smaller WG lung, that is actually not that much smaller than on a std Tial of the same valve size.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thom
If the WG is located for example right behind the turbo directly on headers I could understand the benefit of a smaller WG lung and the need to cool it down because it's very close to the engine, but on our cars, routing coolant lines down to the WG all the way through the various heat points of the engine adds potential issues more than additional space of a smaller WG lung, that is actually not that much smaller than on a std Tial of the same valve size.
Proximity to the engine is pretty much meaningless for a wastegate. The exhaust gases do not cool down by the time they have traveled a couple of feet to the wastegate. (BTW - mounting the wastegate behind a turbo doesn't work so well!).

Using the water cooling feature is optional, I won't use it on the street car but would use it on a track car.

Here is a picture of the full Tial line - the second from the left is the wastegate that I am using and the second from the right is the 'old' air cooled version. The size difference in person is more noticeable!

perhaps one of the best features is the V band clamp mounting. Much nicer to work with than the bolt in version - due to the heat those bolts are the first thing to seize up!

I have not heard the term Wastegate 'lung' before, interesting term to use to describe a wastegate.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dutch944

@Chris; i'll get the bellows this saturday as well as the other vband flanges so we can finish the crossover pipe!
Make sure you get the bellows that are rate for high heat AND pressure. Many of them are not suited for preturbo use and will not last long in the cross over pipe.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dubai944
^^ Man, those new smaller wastegates are huge.
If you look at the full line picture I posted you can see that the ports are much bigger than the old style wastegate. 2nd from left is a 44mm valve and the 2nd from the right is a 46mm valve - but the 44mm valve has much bigger ports!

See - smaller is bigger!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, so basically Tial came up with this water-cooled lung because the valve guide could stick under prolonged exposure to heat. I wasn't aware it was a problem on track cars. It sort of suggests the stock WG design is superior for handling heat.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you get the bellows that are rate for high heat AND pressure. Many of them are not suited for preturbo use and will not last long in the cross over pipe.
I will and have already found them!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thom
Ok, so basically Tial came up with this water-cooled lung because the valve guide could stick under prolonged exposure to heat. I wasn't aware it was a problem on track cars. It sort of suggests the stock WG design is superior for handling heat.
Sort of - if you mean the stock Porsche wastegate then it cannot handle the heat of a high power motor at the track. If you mean the original Tial wastegate the yes, it san handle the heat OK - but the new wastegate is smaller and less expensive. The MVR (44mm) is about $350 and the older 46mm is about $525. In addition the MVR comes with all the V band flanges, multiple springs and all connectors.

Tial came up with the new design for applications where space is at a premium. In addition racers are getting more and more into aerodynamic set ups - which means less airflow around the wastegate.

In my case the 968 bellhousing does not allow for the 951 style placement of the wastegate.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look at the full line picture I posted you can see that the ports are much bigger than the old style wastegate. 2nd from left is a 44mm valve and the 2nd from the right is a 46mm valve - but the 44mm valve has much bigger ports!

See - smaller is bigger!
Got it!

Actually I was referring to the size of the posted picture which is about 5 miles wide on my screen and takes 5 minutes to load.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Got it!

Actually I was referring to the size of the posted picture which is about 5 miles wide on my screen and takes 5 minutes to load.
dial up connection?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:58 PM
kont5u
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Well, finally an interesting update; the engine builder finished the cilinderblock! all the cilinders are bored and sleeved so the next thing is the pistons. Pistons are being measured and calculated now and headgasket as well. So here some pictures:

Bas, it seems like no deck plate was used while machining the cylinders on your block? I'm going through the same process in the near future but my concern has mostly been related to the need of a costly deck plate while machining to prevent the cylinders from deforming after cylinder head has been installed. I have understood it should be used for machining a 2,5 l block, but not sure if it is necessary for the 3,0 l block machining.

Does anyone know if it should be used for dry sleeving a 3,0 l block? Anyone have experience doing that? I know at least Duke has dry sleeved his 3,0 l block, but any knowledge how that was carried out?

Quick Reply: 3 Liter 16v Turbo build