Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone know how many oz. of urethane required to fill the factory mount
Old 02-02-2021, 07:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

If you are ordering the material mentioned earlier in this thread from McMaster-Carr, the 1lb size was more than enough to do a mount.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I ordered one can and had plenty. I did it as shown in post 12 (wrapped up the mount only and didn't fill the crossbar channel). If you fill the cross member channel like some of the early posts, I guess it depends how much you fill, but no need to do that. I also used the 60 hardness stuff and it's been doing fine for years. Also check the C bracket pieces for cracks and consider boxing them in with a bit of scrap steel.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:19 PM
RonD.
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just finished and installed urethane factory trans mount. Turned out well, I used 3M Super Fast drying window weld $24 at local auto parts store. 3M estimates 55-60 durometer. I haven't been able to drive it yet or even start the engine, headers are out for Cerakote, any way I'm curious what to expect since I have a Spec 2+ clutch (Hate It) Will it increase engagement chatter or possibly make it better??? Wishful Thinking
Old 02-11-2021, 09:59 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I did this a year ago on both my cabrio and turbo and the most noticeable effect on the turbo, albeit subtle, is that the motion of the transaxle seems much less when the car is being driven hard. So entering a turn or cornering hard one can feel a slight swing or awkward transition in the rear that I always interpreted as the transaxle swinging around a bit. With this change it is still there, but not as noticeable. On the cabrio who the heck can notice anything with all the slop in the chassis...
Old 03-10-2021, 10:34 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

Great thread. Inspired me to give it a shot and super happy with the results. Also totally amazed it was so easy to remove and reinstall everything. Kudos to the reenlist community for the great tips!

Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 PM
Minispeed
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just followed this how to guide to install my lindsey racing semi solid mount. (They had it on sale and o bought one on impulse before i knew about this mod). I would recommend to people to take the fuel filter strap off and leave the mounting bracket in place as i had one bolt break and didn't attempt the other. They are about $1 at rock auto so if you are planning this and ordering something else might want to get 2 just in case.

I also used the lower tranny without the mount as an opportunity to install a short shifter and ball joint linkage which was a massive pia on my car as old shifter did not want to come off even after lots of penetrating oil and heat. I couldn't imagine doing the full job with the tranny higher and the mount in place.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:25 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have vibrations in my shifter during acceleration and am replacing everything in the shifter to tighten it up. Also have the Only944 short shifter plus linkage installed. If my vibrations are indeed from the transaxle mount after all this, I'm looking forward to using my new Quick Jack system I just purchased since I expect to be under my car a lot during the cooler winter months.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:07 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I have vibrations in my shifter during acceleration and am replacing everything in the shifter to tighten it up. Also have the Only944 short shifter plus linkage installed. If my vibrations are indeed from the transaxle mount after all this, I'm looking forward to using my new Quick Jack system I just purchased since I expect to be under my car a lot during the cooler winter months.
FWIW i had vibrations in my shifter.. further investigation proved the main shift rod was rubbing a bit on the trans.. must have bent it ever- so- slightly.. bent it back.. problem solved!
Old 09-27-2021, 11:32 AM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what are the symptoms that a bad transmission mount exhibits?
Old 03-08-2023, 01:33 PM
Covkiller
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to the forum and found the above guide, so tried it for myself. Great result, thank you gents.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:48 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great thread, thanks Spencer for the write up, it definitely made things much easier! The only trouble I had was getting the fuel filter out of the way when sliding out the carrier. First I loosened the filter clamp to rotate the bracket out of the way but still not enough. Then I ended up removing the small intermediate bracket that goes between the transmission and the mount which was enough room. Also, I would recommend before attempting to slide out the carrier, you go around to driver's side wheel well and look at the clearance between the carrier and the selector lever. I tried twisting the carrier at first to clear the fuel filter and got it hung up on the selector shaft rubber boot. You have to pull the carrier straight out without twisting since the clearance is limited.

Oh, did you guys leave the old rubber from the mount and just fill in the gaps with urethane or did you cut the old rubber out and apart as much as you could? How much can you remove?

Thanks for this thread and all the help within!

Last edited by superloaf; 03-29-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

When I did this I left the old rubber in place and just filled the voids with urethane. No reason to remove the rubber really.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:35 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

+1 to V rocket. Followed his instructions a few years ago, worked like a charm.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:44 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
When I did this I left the old rubber in place and just filled the voids with urethane. No reason to remove the rubber really.
Originally Posted by ElRicardo
+1 to V rocket. Followed his instructions a few years ago, worked like a charm.
Many thanks, looking forward to getting this renewed and in the car as it killed my CV joint and left me stranded for 6 hours, thanks AAA! The old rubber doesn't look too bad; I expected it to be cracked and falling apart. However, there is evidence that the trans was swinging from side to side from the shiny metal inside the mount on the 2 metal side mounts where the mounting screws attach. It's a weird mount but nice to see it has metal parts to keep the transaxle from falling down if the mount fails completely. The rubber is fairly soft in there but that's after 160k miles. I suppose leaving the rubber intact and surrounding it with harder urethane will leave more vibration isolation and comfort as the softer OE rubber will still flex first while the new urethane will not allow the transaxle to move much, kind of a progressive mount. I just hope the original rubber doesn't disintegrate but that's just me overthinking it all!

Quick Reply: Any DIY for the transmission mount?