wtf is going on with my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
What Bret said. I'm more likely to believe the engine had a problem and parts started getting swapped. The project manager must've had a thing for spring tensioners...
I have a feeling that it's a factory replacement motor.. i'll have to call up porsche and ask.

Originally Posted by mikeyoman
Not sure about the extras fitted to your block but AFAIK all engine numbers are at the rear of the block. Your number checks out as the correct year but not sure it's in the right place.
maybe they stamped it in 2 locations.
I realised this after i looked for a sample engine number before. i thought they're all like that.

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
No idea on your conundrum...but FWIW that picture of your rod doesn't necessarily *look* cast. Looks like it could very well be forged to me, though the pic is a bit tough to make out detail.
unfortunately that's the best photo i got. there wasn't any part numbers on the rod, just what i've listed.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Those rods look like the '83 NA forged rods from the picture. The engine serial number was on the bellhousing boss until end of 1987. In 1988 it was moved to the block near #4 like the purty engine photo. The "G" means it is a 1986 model year.

I would speculate that the engine has been out of the car before. The updated oil pan is better. Check for the updated pickup tube and baffle as well. The dipstick/guide tube are also different. You can get a blank cover for the oil level sensor and take that out. Someone went to a lot of trouble to add the spring tensioner to the early block, but that is not a bad thing. Do you have the oil level sensor wire too?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM
dp951
Racer

Looks like the block was changed out with the latter version , very common .
Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cruise98
Those rods look like the '83 NA forged rods from the picture. The engine serial number was on the bellhousing boss until end of 1987. In 1988 it was moved to the block near #4 like the purty engine photo. The "G" means it is a 1986 model year.

I would speculate that the engine has been out of the car before. The updated oil pan is better. Check for the updated pickup tube and baffle as well. The dipstick/guide tube are also different. You can get a blank cover for the oil level sensor and take that out. Someone went to a lot of trouble to add the spring tensioner to the early block, but that is not a bad thing. Do you have the oil level sensor wire too?
does that mean they're good or bad (the rods)?

yes the engine has been out, the PO fixed a few issues on it. not sure if he changed the pan or not.
I added a pan baffle in it just a few days ago.
now sure about the oil pick up differences? pictures are on my build thread. (link in sig)
The tensioner doesn't look like it's been put there. Looks factory to me, from where the studs stick out from? unless they already had the raised section for the studs to go into?
No oil level sensor wire.

Originally Posted by dp951
Looks like the block was changed out with the latter version , very common .
If the block was changed out, it wouldn't make sense as the engine numbers are original and well it's stamped as an 86 block.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

I am not familiar enough with the early engines to say for sure. Take some more pictures and start a new thread with a descriptive title. Maybe one of the engine gurus will chime in.

I would love to see some photos of how they changed the balance shaft bearings. Maybe the engine was modified before it ever left the factory?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cruise98
I am not familiar enough with the early engines to say for sure. Take some more pictures and start a new thread with a descriptive title. Maybe one of the engine gurus will chime in.

I would love to see some photos of how they changed the balance shaft bearings. Maybe the engine was modified before it ever left the factory?
what type of title?

well the bearing shaft bearings are thinner in the early compared to the late.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:23 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

What type of connecting rods are these?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Oh sorry, i didn't realise you're talking about the rods. yeah i have to. I saw a picture in the manual that looked like mine, says they're cast..
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking

Your short block was probably replaced because the forged rods in the original '86 block were bent ...
Old 11-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Your short block was probably replaced because the forged rods in the original '86 block were bent ...
im thinking it's a factory replacement short block because the stamp m44.LC
im assuming LC = low compression

I went thought my papers i got with the car, and nothing i see there with replacement engines. I did notice after it got complied in Australia (from England) they started writing m44.LC infront of the engine number.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:22 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Didn't read the whole thing, but reading this page, those are definitely not the early forged rods. They look exactly like the cast rods I've seen in NA engines.

I'd say it is a replacement engine, or someone has swapped a bunch of late parts into an early block. Are the pistons the turbo dish style? I havnt seen a picture of them. Edit; yes they are turbo pistons from your photo.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Didn't read the whole thing, but reading this page, those are definitely not the early forged rods. They look exactly like the cast rods I've seen in NA engines.

I'd say it is a replacement engine, or someone has swapped a bunch of late parts into an early block. Are the pistons the turbo dish style? I havnt seen a picture of them. Edit; yes they are turbo pistons from your photo.

I wonder if the part numbers are the same on the rods?
Yes turbo pistons.

I have my money of a replacement engine as it should say m44.51 not LC

Quick Reply: wtf is going on with my engine?