Old 12-02-2012, 01:41 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see knock counting on the list. I think it would be a useful feature, is it hard to add?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
I don't see knock counting on the list. I think it would be a useful feature, is it hard to add?
Yes, it would be very useful...
Yes, it is hard to add...
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Too bad. Anyway, there are several options for counting knock available. I guess I'll just have to log it separately. Thanks for putting in all the effort on developing these tools for us.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Many of my mates are running OBD II cars and they are using an extremely nice android app called Torque to log and display the data going through the ECU and other systems. Considering how Rogue's logger already sends a custom serial stream of codes to his logger, my suggestion is to change or add an option to translate these codes to OBDII codes so they can be read and displayed by Torque or the other OBD apps available, also for the iPhones and iPads.

I realise it will take some work and some changes or additions to the electronics, but technically it should not be too difficult and it would make the logger even more user friendly and valuable than it already is today.
Here are a few of the benefits:

1. You would be able to use your android phone or pad to monitor and log every drive, no need to bring a clunky power hungry PC to your car.
2. Smart phones and pads have internal G-meters which are used by Torque to log and display G-forces.
3. By adding more analogue inputs to the DME logger we would be able to display additional data, such as oil temp, fuel pressure, gearbox temp, etc. on screen alongside the data from the DME.
4. You would be able to use the internal GPS or a super-accurate external GPS to track laps and lines. This is used to log lap times and can be quite powerfull when combined with to other data. You can see where the drop in oil pressure occured. Was it under braking?, acceleration? Corner entry, mid or exit? etc. How many Gs were you pulling? Very very usefull data.
5. There are plugins such as Track Recorder which would allow you to measure lap times and to overlay your logs with onboard video.
6. Telemetry could be displayed on beautiful digital gauges and displays, you can even custom make your own.
7. A braket for your cheap pad could be permanently installed in the car. My mates have gone further and permanently integrated the pad into the dash and the results are stunning and extremely usefull.

Here's a link to a test of the app.
Here are some shots.

Last edited by bebbetufs; 04-15-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be awesome
Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what Joshua has done already in converting the Motronic data stream to a format readable in Tunerpro is a significant accomplishment in itself. Your OBDII idea sounds great, but I suspect the effort involved in translating this into OBDII is another level again. Really, to log the data stream for a 1980's car is beyond most peoples' expectations. Nice idea, but let's not play down how impressive the M-Tune logging is in itself.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I've mentioned this to josh before. Yes his logger is beyond impressive, but the only issue is hauling a laptop around is something not all of us can do.

If he does make an OBD2, i don't believe it would be on the cheap side, because it's not so easy but i do hope he does something like this.

But then the list wont stop. Soon we'll be asking if you could make it read trouble codes with obd2 ect ect.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

I do not in any way want to belittle Joshuas work. I think it is fantastic and a to me it is a no-brainer to have his M-tune on my car. I will also buy his logger sometime in the near future, whether this comes about or not.

But then the list wont stop. Soon we'll be asking if you could make it read trouble codes with obd2 ect ect.
While I agree that we will probably never have enough I see no reason why we shouldn't suggest improvements to products we like. Technically to incorporate this is actually fairly easy. The real problem is finding the time, and I appreciate that Joshuas time is both limited and very valiuable.

There is already a box for the motronic DME's available. Joshuas logger could be adapted to use this hardware. This would cut down on the work needed on his side, but we would have to buy more hardware and could possibly make it easier for others to copy his hard work.

I am truly impressed with what Joshuas has done and the time and effort he has put in. He has opened a wealth of possibilities which, in my opinion, are too good to pass. This would bring his package to the highest possible level.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Sorry to bring this back up, but I just had a blast at the track in my Renault Clio RS. The obd2 interface together with the Android apps Race Chrono laptimer and Torque Pro was fantastic on my tablet. The possibilities are vast, so I'm just gently hoping to nudge Joshua into thinking about adding OBD2 translations
Old 09-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I simply do not have the time to do an OBD2 'converter-box' at the moment...
I do like the idea, and if anyone wants to try - I will be happy to help with the M-Tune serial output info.

I'm really trying to finish up a couple of really cool items currently.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Time for cloning Rogue?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:58 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a question if OBD-2 was to happen... Would the data rate not be real time, since the Motronic code gets translated into M-Tune code- then would have to go to another box and convert to OBD-2 code, Your refresh rate/data rate would suffer I'd think, even our $8,000 Toyota Techstream at work has a slow refresh rate

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning: DME Logger!