Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

T04B Too Much Lag for Street Car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
The exducer is probable 3" and not 2 3/4. Which would make the turbo a 60-1 hifi with a 57 trim turbine. Aka stage 3.

Its actually not a bad turbo. Very common upgrade in the 944 turbo seen about 7 years ago. If the turbo is in good shape I would just add a restrictor in the oil line and have fun with it. Will produce 325 rwhp on pump fuel easy. As long as you have accompanying mods like injectors and MAF exc. Also keep in mind that the stock clutch will slip at around that figure as well. I would also definitely recommend Vitessi maf because of the easy of tuning. Is that spelled right?
I think he already has a MAF setup from Rogue Tuning. So he should be good there. 325 rwhp sounds like it shouldn't too terrible of a spoolup.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Not to be a dick, but the amount of speculation without any real world experience to back it up is amazing.

I wonder how that plate of food in that picture will taste? Well in the picture, it looks good. But these ingredients listed make it sound spicy...

I wonder how spicy it is? Well, I had a friend who was a chef, and he says anything more than a teaspoon of that ingredient is way too hot and spicy for a serving. But since it has less than 1, I guess it should be ok.

Well, I have a friend who likes at least two teaspoons of that condiment, and he said it really wasnt quite enough....

How about trying it first, and then giving your opinions?

I've had 4 or 5 different turbos on my 951, but I dont have experience with the turbo the OP was talking about...so I cant say much about it. I personally like my turbos on the laggy side, because when im alone on the interstate at 3am and im trying a set a land speed record, a little bit of extra lag is ok....so long as the turbo doesnt fall flat on its face after 90.

All the 951 guys with stock turbos or that havent driven one with a big turbo should try it before speculate on it. You'd be surprised guys, sometimes an extra 600 rpm of lag really isnt that bad. On paper, its huge. But in the car, maybe its an extra half or a full second...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lee101315
Not to be a dick, but the amount of speculation without any real world experience to back it up is amazing.

I wonder how that plate of food in that picture will taste? Well in the picture, it looks good. But these ingredients listed make it sound spicy...

I wonder how spicy it is? Well, I had a friend who was a chef, and he says anything more than a teaspoon of that ingredient is way too hot and spicy for a serving. But since it has less than 1, I guess it should be ok.

Well, I have a friend who likes at least two teaspoons of that condiment, and he said it really wasnt quite enough....

I've had 4 or 5 different turbos on my 951, but I dont have experience with the turbo the OP was talking about...so I cant say much about it. I personally like my turbos on the laggy side, because when im alone on the interstate at 3am and im trying a set a land speed record, a little bit of extra lag is ok....so long as the turbo doesnt fall flat on its face after 90.

All the 951 guys with stock turbos or that havent driven one with a big turbo should try it before speculate on it. You'd be surprised guys, sometimes an extra 600 rpm of lag really isnt that bad. On paper, its huge. But in the car, maybe its an extra half or a full second...
Yep!!

Having run a LR Super 75 (always told "thats wayyyy to laggy") even on my previous 2.5 for many years and 90% street driven, a little lag is not very noticeable. And spool times I see listed are full boost at said rpm not just building boost at those rpms.

With the 2.5L I would see 1 bar in 4th by about 3,600 with leaking headers. This turbo being discussed should be even quicker spool than that.

Plus, as a street car if you tap the guess and always have full boost around town is not fun or very "streetable" either in my opinion.

Oh, and as Lart and others alluded, if people are driving around at 2,500 rpm then you don't need to be giving opinions about the performance of anything. LOL!!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
The exducer is probable 3" and not 2 3/4. Which would make the turbo a 60-1 hifi with a 57 trim turbine. Aka stage 3.

Its actually not a bad turbo. Very common upgrade in the 944 turbo seen about 7 years ago. If the turbo is in good shape I would just add a restrictor in the oil line and have fun with it. Will produce 325 rwhp on pump fuel easy. As long as you have accompanying mods like injectors and MAF exc. Also keep in mind that the stock clutch will slip at around that figure as well. I would also definitely recommend Vitessi maf because of the easy of tuning. Is that spelled right?
Sadly it is 2 3/4, 70mm which tells me TO4B... the 3" with a 76mm is for a TO4E. Thanks very much for the input.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Originally Posted by toddk911
Yep!!

Having run a LR Super 75 (always told "thats wayyyy to laggy") even on my previous 2.5 for many years and 90% street driven, a little lag is not very noticeable. And spool times I see listed are full boost at said rpm not just building boost at those rpms.

With the 2.5L I would see 1 bar in 4th by about 3,600 with leaking headers. This turbo being discussed should be even quicker spool than that.

Plus, as a street car if you tap the guess and always have full boost around town is not fun or very "streetable" either in my opinion.

Oh, and as Lart and others alluded, if people are driving around at 2,500 rpm then you don't need to be giving opinions about the performance of anything. LOL!!
Ya honestly I was driving my car and paying attention to spool compared to RPM and that's why I decided to go ahead rebuild it and try it out. The spool doesn't really look that bad as long as I can get a few psi in first, most if not all in second then I'm happy. I think it will be a great addition, just need to figure out what's needed to install it.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by toddk911
Yep!!

I never heard anyone complain about the lag on a NA 944! And those things take FOREVER to redline 1st 2nd and 3rd gear

And I agree, I usually keep my car around 3-4000 rpm in town anyway....
Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've probably ran all of the above turbos or a close variant. Now I like the Holset reliability.

Like I said, there is something to be said for transient response.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

^ I like the Holset turbo's haven't ran one on the 951 but like the company. I originally was going to run one but my welding skills aren't that good and in my line of work money is a myth lol.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Alot of truth to this post.
And to add:
People assume that topics that get discussed alot must have merit, when really it only serves to cloud reality and good judgement.
The compressor side (especially, the trim levels) plays only a very small part in the spool-up characteristics of a turbo system. What's important is everything to do with the exhaust, from your exhaust valve all the way to your tail pipe.
When it comes to turbo compressors (I'm talking only the compressor side, here), all you need to know is that it flows enough air (but not more than you really need) for your application. Differences in trim and brand "x" vs brand "y" is negligible.
The real magic is engineering your entire system for "area under the curve" which is spool-up vs back pressure.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:40 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what you're saying is that nobody should have responded to this thread because nobody on the thread has used this exact turbo on a 944 before, right? Yeah, I think that would have been really helpful for the OP.

Quick Reply: T04B Too Much Lag for Street Car?