Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking at this helmet, any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Looking at this helmet, any comments?

Hi
I am doing a DE event ( first in some time ) as such, my current helmet is out of date ..
I would hope to do more events, but as of now, this will be the only one I will be doing for some time ...
Hence, I didn't want to spend too much....
This helmet looks like a pretty good deal, considering the next level is almost 100 dollars more
http://www.saferacer.com/zamp-racing...productid=2405
Does anyone have experience with this helmet ?
Thanks in advance
Ed
Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Probably have better luck in the Racing/DE section.

I have no direct experience with that helmet. If it's SA2010 compliant, then that means it at least meets the minimum bar for safety. I have a basic Bell helmet which IIRC was ~$100 more than the one you posted. Most of my experience is with motorcycle helmets (longtime motorcycle racer here) and assuming the same holds true with car helmets, once you get up into the big dollar helmets, the main difference is with comfort. Nicer liner materials, etc. Cheap helmets tend to feel exactly like that: a cheap helmet.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Try Driving Impressions in NJ.. Link below goes right to Zamp Helmets on there site. Call and ask for BOB the owner he really knows his stuff.

http://www.teamdi.com/index.php?opti...d=43&Itemid=61
Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

What exactly are you trying to protect?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I miss a thread with pictures of your finished car?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:31 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the exact helmet as mine went out of date for PCA needed one in a hurry and cheap. Its not real comfy on the head. styro foam with a little covering. kinda looks funny too with that hump in the front. Ordered a Bell and gave the ZAMP to the kids for riding 4 wheeler's and stuff. Spend an extra $100 .
Clifton
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

I have no direct experience with that helmet. If it's SA2010 compliant, then that means it at least meets the minimum bar for safety. I have a basic Bell helmet which IIRC was ~$100 more than the one you posted. Most of my experience is with motorcycle helmets (longtime motorcycle racer here) and assuming the same holds true with car helmets, once you get up into the big dollar helmets, the main difference is with comfort. Nicer liner materials, etc. Cheap helmets tend to feel exactly like that: a cheap helmet.
Makes sense
Thanks Jim

Originally Posted by Jeff951NJ
Try Driving Impressions in NJ.. Link below goes right to Zamp Helmets on there site. Call and ask for BOB the owner he really knows his stuff.

http://www.teamdi.com/index.php?opti...d=43&Itemid=61
Will do .. I would rather buy it on the East coast as then I don't have to bring it on the plane

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
What exactly are you trying to protect?
LOL ... I nailed you !!!
I know you like a book !!
Originally Posted by kevincnc
Did I miss a thread with pictures of your finished car?
LOL
Hey Kevin
Hope all is well No .. I am actually going to the Glen in a few weeks .. My brother and nephew, have a few Porsche's that they are going to let me drive ...
Actually the Beast is running now ...
I just bought new tires ( still have a few issues to sort out though )

Originally Posted by C ANDERSON
I bought the exact helmet as mine went out of date for PCA needed one in a hurry and cheap. Its not real comfy on the head. styro foam with a little covering. kinda looks funny too with that hump in the front. Ordered a Bell and gave the ZAMP to the kids for riding 4 wheeler's and stuff. Spend an extra $100 .
Clifton
Right on info ... That's what I was looking for, hoping that the 100 more I spend will make the difference ... If I was going for the extra hundred, I was thinking of this one ....http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro...productid=2342
but I am going to look at the Bell as well
Thanks guys ( except Tom )
Regards
Ed

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 07-06-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

BTW I meant to originally post in that section but must have screwed up
thanks
Ed
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As said before, if you are going to be wearing this frequently and for a long time get something good. A hundred dollars sitting on a shelf could have gone to the more expensive helmet that you will eventually buy. FWIW, I prefer Arai.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that helmet, is it the best ? no... but for the money it is hard to beat, I have been very pleased

Fits as good as my outdated $500 Bell, I decided to take a chance on the Zamp, I was told Zamp and Bell were made in same factory ????
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
As said before, if you are going to be wearing this frequently and for a long time get something good. A hundred dollars sitting on a shelf could have gone to the more expensive helmet that you will eventually buy. FWIW, I prefer Arai.
I wish I could say I am going to do more events but I just don't know if its in the cards .... ? So For three days ?? and then hopefully, maybe ?
Originally Posted by David Floyd
I have that helmet, is it the best ? no... but for the money it is hard to beat, I have been very pleased

Fits as good as my outdated $500 Bell, I decided to take a chance on the Zamp, I was told Zamp and Bell were made in same factory ????
Hey David ..
Thanks for that feedback
Best regards
Ed
Old 07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Ed, try as many brands on as possible in an SA2010 helmet, they all fit differently. The goal is to find a good safe fit that is also comfortable. While higher price often means better materials and less weight, if the shape doesn't fit your melon its of no use. I use an RCI helmet, usually for 15+ events per summer, its sort of a middle of the road brand, not complete bottom of the barrel but not top line by any means. However, the fit was perfect for my head after trying many on. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

My $0.02. You are about to spend $350 for the DE, you will destroy about $400 worth of tire life, burn $150 worth of gas, abrade $100 off your brake life, probably require $75 oil change because of piston blow by, eat $30 of really pretty basic track food, not to mention accommodations and you are worried about saving $100 on a helmet that will last you a minimum of 5 years? To put that into perspective if you do 4 events par year for 5 years a $500 helmet will cost you $25 per event. The cheapest thing on your spend list. If you don't compete after only one event you can get anywhere from 85% to 90% of new cost on this site for a decent helmet.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrenan
Ed, try as many brands on as possible in an SA2010 helmet, they all fit differently. The goal is to find a good safe fit that is also comfortable. While higher price often means better materials and less weight, if the shape doesn't fit your melon its of no use. I use an RCI helmet, usually for 15+ events per summer, its sort of a middle of the road brand, not complete bottom of the barrel but not top line by any means. However, the fit was perfect for my head after trying many on. Good luck.
Believe it or not to try on something here is 350 and way up
1+ hrs drive probably less but I hear ya its nice ( a must) to try the thing on, no question

Originally Posted by rlm328
My $0.02. You are about to spend $350 for the DE, you will destroy about $400 worth of tire life, burn $150 worth of gas, abrade $100 off your brake life, probably require $75 oil change because of piston blow by, eat $30 of really pretty basic track food, not to mention accommodations and you are worried about saving $100 on a helmet that will last you a minimum of 5 years? To put that into perspective if you do 4 events par year for 5 years a $500 helmet will cost you $25 per event. The cheapest thing on your spend list. If you don't compete after only one event you can get anywhere from 85% to 90% of new cost on this site for a decent helmet.
So true.....
This wouldn't even be a question, if I was doing more events ...
Thanks Guys very much
Regards
Ed
Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Update

Well finally I picked up an helmet ...
Believe it or not, last years track event at Watkins Glenn was cancelled, do to an issue with the track, so I didn't end up getting a helmet ...
Probably a good thing ...
Last year, I was communicating with Clark at Apex, and frankly I was pretty sold that if I was going to buy a helmet, I wanted to buy it from him...
So a week ago, I called and spoke to his wife Linda and she helped me with the sizing etc ...
This showed up in like 3 days and I couldn't be happier, both with the service, the products, and the price. They even threw in a helmet bag.
And all with a Rennlist discount !!! How can you beat that ...
If you need a helmet, this is the place....
Extremely nice and knowledge people.
So God willing, I will be at the Glen at the end of July RTR event
Best regards
Ed
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Looking at this helmet, any comments?