Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:48 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by autokurl
Yes I the 951 parts prices have fallen like Snookie at closing time. And to some degree the same goes for 968 parts so my expectations are adjusted accordingly. As I said, I haven't pulled the trigger quite yet but am leaning in that direction. Only time will tell....
how much do you expect gross on that 951, I'll tell you if you are realistic
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm parting out my '87 951, I'm done trying to fix everything. Not looking to get rich, just looking to get rid of it. I have a trashed '86 motor, '87 used leaky long block, misc parts right now.
Attached Images  

Last edited by chris951; 06-19-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
I bought several years ago smashed '86 951. Paid 3K€ and so far have made about 9K€ of it

Looks like I need to spend the $2500 and send my 951 to europe....get it into Europe on a 6 month tourist plate...and make some money...
Old 06-20-2012, 09:28 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

a lot of good points made in this thread. Lart obviously has this process down.... but 944Ts are discarded for less $$$$ in places like Massachusetts, Connecticut and California because the masses moved on from these cars a long, long, long time ago..... it's so bad here, you'll be more likely to see an old Jaguar e-type than a 944 on the first warm, spring day... a 944T that sells for $8 k in many parts of the country wouldn't even get a phone call here in Massachusetts.... that being said, i saw my first 944 in more than 15 years on Speen Street in Natick, Mass yesterday (Silverish color. anyone out driving this car yesterday) ?

parting a perfectly running car has got to be one of the weirdest phenomenon in the modern used car world. weirder still - that we're talking about doing that to a P 0 R S C H E. yet with the 944T, this seems to happen fairly often to (apparently) decent running cars, or at least not in need some horrific amount of work to put them back on the road.... even 968s (when one comes up) sell for nothing dollars (now) here in Mass. the public has simply moved on to Boxsters and Caymans (and even that represents a different type of car-buyer altogether)..... nobody wrenches their own Porsches in this part of the country... we had a running 968 in need of just some TLC sell for just a couple of thousand dollars on ebay only a few weeks ago.

this scenario raises alarms when considering the possibility of purchasing any 924, 944 or 968. the danger lies in new buyers, new to the brand, virtually clueless about what they're getting into -- but, can get into the Porsche game for cheap money.... but, it's even getting weird with the Boxsters and 996's.... there's a ton of upside down P-car projects waiting out there... one more reason why i think if you're going to put a ton of money into any '80s or '90s Porsche, i suggest you do it to a 911 (where 1 dollar back for every 2 dollars in is not unrealistic).....

if you do choose a 944, 944T or 968, plan on keeping the car for a very long, long, long, long time and in so doing, think very seriously about changing the engine over to reliable, V8 power at some point. knowing i'll be keeping my car for 25 years or more (barring any unforseen event) takes a good amount of the anxiety out about keeping and maintaining relatively expensive parts on the car. your 944Ts might not have a ton of super expensive parts on board, but the cars are extremely expensive in terms of wrenching time per X number of driving miles. no doubt that this situation causes a lot of the 944Ts significant downtime (stress). especially when running high hp cars.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris951
I'm parting out my '87 951, I'm done trying to fix everything. Not looking to get rich, just looking to get rid of it. I have a trashed '86 motor, '87 used leaky long block, misc parts right now.
You actually installed that motor? The one with coolant in the oil that was a 14k mile rebuild. You didnt check the rod bearings?

Last edited by carlege; 06-20-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE the avatar this week...

Speen St -- that's where my hotel is during the week. Funny coincidence. There is that performance pcar shop (mostly 911's) near Central and Speen; maybe they were going there.

Originally Posted by odurandina
a lot of good points made in this thread. Lart obviously has this process down.... but 944Ts are discarded for less $$$$ in places like Massachusetts, Connecticut and California because the masses moved on from these cars a long, long, long time ago..... it's so bad here, you'll be more likely to see an old Jaguar e-type than a 944 on the first warm, spring day... a 944T that sells for $8 k in many parts of the country wouldn't even get a phone call here in Massachusetts.... that being said, i saw my first 944 in more than 15 years on Speen Street in Natick, Mass yesterday (Silverish color. anyone out driving this car yesterday) ?

parting a perfectly running car has got to be one of the weirdest phenomenon in the modern used car world. weirder still - that we're talking about doing that to a P 0 R S C H E. yet with the 944T, this seems to happen fairly often to (apparently) decent running cars, or at least not in need some horrific amount of work to put them back on the road.... even 968s (when one comes up) sell for nothing dollars (now) here in Mass. the public has simply moved on to Boxsters and Caymans (and even that represents a different type of car-buyer altogether)..... nobody wrenches their own Porsches in this part of the country... we had a running 968 in need of just some TLC sell for just a couple of thousand dollars on ebay only a few weeks ago.

this scenario raises alarms when considering the possibility of purchasing any 924, 944 or 968. the danger lies in new buyers, new to the brand, virtually clueless about what they're getting into -- but, can get into the Porsche game for cheap money.... but, it's even getting weird with the Boxsters and 996's.... there's a ton of upside down P-car projects waiting out there... one more reason why i think if you're going to put a ton of money into any '80s or '90s Porsche, i suggest you do it to a 911 (where 1 dollar back for every 2 dollars in is not unrealistic).....

if you do choose a 944, 944T or 968, plan on keeping the car for a very long, long, long, long time and in so doing, think very seriously about changing the engine over to reliable, V8 power at some point. knowing i'll be keeping my car for 25 years or more (barring any unforseen event) takes a good amount of the anxiety out about keeping and maintaining relatively expensive parts on the car. your 944Ts might not have a ton of super expensive parts on board, but the cars are extremely expensive in terms of wrenching time per X number of driving miles. no doubt that this situation causes a lot of the 944Ts significant downtime (stress). especially when running high hp cars.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Jerry Peligrino's shop. Jerry, Bill and Matt are as good as they come.

best in New England anyway.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

If anyone wants what's left of my car and 2 motors, let me know because if not, it's all going to the junkyard.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pm sent Chris
Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

I'm going out of town next week and I need to park my 964 in the garage, so $1500 for the car, extra motor, I have an extra front bumper too. I am keeping the passenger foglight, front coilovers, strut brace, cat back exhaust. I have some 16'' wheels to go with it. I want to start off with a clean slate and buy a real nice 951 to go with my almost perfect 964.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Chris
What city do you live?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Amarillo
Old 06-22-2012, 06:21 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

I made the decision to part out my totaled 951 about 4 years ago.
Thats right, and I bought the AC compressor - and guess what ... it still holds a charge... Going on 3 years with cold AC...in a Porsche??? No way.

"Yes way, Ted" [movie quote]...;]
Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
If the car runs, don't part it....just price it for a quick sale and be done with it.

There are several on here that can testify that the hassle isn't anywhere near worth it....and neither will the $$$ return you may think as of now you will get from it.

1. people will nickel dime you to death.
2. you have to pull all the parts (lots of time).
3. you have to pack and ship all the parts (GIANT PITA)
4. half the people that bug you to death about a part never actually pay for it
5. what YOU think it is worth and what someone is willing to pay for it are 2 very different things
6. you'll sell a $1000~$1500 worth of parts pretty quick and think "man, this is going good"...then it drops off like a rock and you are stuck with a hundred bits and pieces you never get rid of.
7. you should estimate that only 25% of the parts on your car will sell. So try to avoid adding up the price of every part and thinking that is what you will get if you part it.

Not trying to discourage you from parting it, but it does take A LOT of time and effort to dismatle, clean, picture/list, chase money, answer a 1000 email questions, sell, pack, ship, track...rinse and repeat for every piece.

Then of course you have the ones that want to return a part.....
Friend of mine parted out an '86 951 ~3 years ago and this was pretty much his feedback he shared with me as well.

Lots of requests for teeny tiny stupid little 50 cent parts, that took hours to figure out how to remove without destroying... then packaging, shipping, and then the buyer never pays anyways. He ultimately made money on the deal, but it took quite a few months (and a lot of BS) to get there.

I guess it all comes down to: what's your time worth?

Quick Reply: Total Sales $$ from parting 86 951?