Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Total Sales $$ from parting 86 951?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SH944: Never received your PM.

Thx for the input guys. All things are pointing to me parting it out, starting in the next week or so. You'll certainly be amoung the first to know ;-)
Old 06-19-2012, 02:06 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car runs, don't part it....just price it for a quick sale and be done with it.

There are several on here that can testify that the hassle isn't anywhere near worth it....and neither will the $$$ return you may think as of now you will get from it.

1. people will nickel dime you to death.
2. you have to pull all the parts (lots of time).
3. you have to pack and ship all the parts (GIANT PITA)
4. half the people that bug you to death about a part never actually pay for it
5. what YOU think it is worth and what someone is willing to pay for it are 2 very different things
6. you'll sell a $1000~$1500 worth of parts pretty quick and think "man, this is going good"...then it drops off like a rock and you are stuck with a hundred bits and pieces you never get rid of.
7. you should estimate that only 25% of the parts on your car will sell. So try to avoid adding up the price of every part and thinking that is what you will get if you part it.

Not trying to discourage you from parting it, but it does take A LOT of time and effort to dismatle, clean, picture/list, chase money, answer a 1000 email questions, sell, pack, ship, track...rinse and repeat for every piece.

Then of course you have the ones that want to return a part.....
Old 06-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Where are you located, somebody will buy this thing running. There is no way on earth that you will get a bunch of money parting one car
Old 06-19-2012, 02:40 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some things have been changing around here prompting me to consider parting out my daily driver 86 951. I'm curious as to what others have managed to gross on sales when doing this.
I bought several years ago smashed '86 951. Paid 3K€ and so far have made about 9K€ of it

Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Where are you located, somebody will buy this thing running. There is no way on earth that you will get a bunch of money parting one car
Amen.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 AM
2bridges
Drifting

if you have a ton of money in high end mods it makes sense to recover more $$ buy parting at least the high $$ parts.... but for a closer to stock car (like yours) you will be far better served to sell it outright.

If you are out of work with lots of time, go for it. If you are a busy man, the $$ will cost you lots and lots of your precious time and space.

Until you have done it, you just can't anticipate how much time is involved. You will spend an amazing amount of time for communication, packing/locating boxes/pallets/making crates, shipping items.

Good luck
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2bridges
if you have a ton of money in high end mods it makes sense to recover more $$ buy parting at least the high $$ parts.... but for a closer to stock car (like yours) you will be far better served to sell it outright.

If you are out of work with lots of time, go for it. If you are a busy man, the $$ will cost you lots and lots of your precious time and space.

Until you have done it, you just can't anticipate how much time is involved. You will spend an amazing amount of time for communication, packing/locating boxes/pallets/making crates, shipping items.

Good luck
Honestly even with high end mods it just doesn't seem worth having all that left over. I probably could have sold my new tranny, interior, motor, and turbo system pretty quickly. The rest of the car would have been a nickel and dime show that I didn't have time for. Better to just sell it outright as a package and be done with it.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:40 PM
2bridges
Drifting

yep agreed.

I sold off $15,000+ in high end goodies, and rebuild my car back closer to stock and sold it whole.

Don't even want to know how many hours it took to do it.... purposely did not keep tabs on it.
Also it was an odd situation to have most everything (stock parts) I had upgraded, and a bunch of spares,etc to replcae what was sold off the car.

For anything close to a running driving stocker would be a total waste - especially a high mile car like the OP is dealing with.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

As a point of reference, I made the decision to part out my totaled 951 about 4 years ago. I just needed to make sure I made more than the $3k insurance was charging me to buy it back.

Between the motor and transmission, I recouped my $3k. I then continued to sell various interior bits, body parts, suspension stuff...and then it all stopped.

Fast forward four years and I'm left with about 10 or 12 boxes of parts I can't get rid of. Nowadays, I just don't have time to try and sell every last little bit on the car...

Your car is FINE. Sell it for $5-6k and be done with it. You'll have made more money off of it than you ever will by parting it, and even better: you'll have made it all at once -- guaranteed money.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:46 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I don't know about you, but my time is worth a helluva lot more than I'd ever make selling car parts on such a small scale.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

We'll see.... I have parted a few 968's in the past and actually came out quite good in terms of sales. My first 968 netted about $25k in parts. and for the most part, I was able to completely tear it down in about 80 hrs. Granted the 968 has parts that will bring higher prices and that was a few years ago but I have a pretty good idea of the effort involved. All the other issues, like the remaining little parts and shipping, I'm set up to handle those things and they're not an issue for me.

I still haven't completely decided what I'm going to do with the car but a lot of things are pushing me toward parting it. Depending on what happens in the next week or so will set the stage.....

Thx for all the input.

Michael
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM
2bridges
Drifting

If you have done this a couple times, sounds like you know what you are in for

no doubt you know 968 stuff is ten fold more desireable
with the least desireable 1986 and 200K+ miles, you will have limited buyers for any mechanical/wear items
Old 06-19-2012, 05:27 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by autokurl
We'll see.... I have parted a few 968's in the past and actually came out quite good in terms of sales. My first 968 netted about $25k in parts. and for the most part, I was able to completely tear it down in about 80 hrs. Granted the 968 has parts that will bring higher prices and that was a few years ago but I have a pretty good idea of the effort involved. All the other issues, like the remaining little parts and shipping, I'm set up to handle those things and they're not an issue for me.

I still haven't completely decided what I'm going to do with the car but a lot of things are pushing me toward parting it. Depending on what happens in the next week or so will set the stage.....

Thx for all the input.

Michael
968 is a whole different enchilada, 951's did bring a lot more money before but now since a nut guy from California started to part them like if they were going out of style, there is a lot of competition. Just to give you an idea AOR trannies sold for $2500.00+ shipping six year ago now the last 3 that I sold went for $ 1399.99 shipped, I just sold a 6 speed 968 for 890.00 shipped to a fellow lister.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by sh944
I'd be happy to give away my storage unit full of spares at this point. To get $8-10k out of parts, you'd have to start with a 968 TS. lol
What kind of parts do you have?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Yes I the 951 parts prices have fallen like Snookie at closing time. And to some degree the same goes for 968 parts so my expectations are adjusted accordingly. As I said, I haven't pulled the trigger quite yet but am leaning in that direction. Only time will tell....

Quick Reply: Total Sales $$ from parting 86 951?