Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ripped off by member Supes6

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripped off by member Supes6

So I hate to have to post this, but I feel I need to. I bought a rebuilt head in 'good working condition' or so I thought, with only 5,000 miles on it from supes6, a member here. Buyer beware! Here is word for word what he said...

"I have a 951 head that I had freshened up, and I only put around 5k miles on it after the refresh. It was decked, valves ground, checked for cracks, and they installed new valve stem seals. The ceramics are all good, no chips. I was looking to get $300 for it (I paid $500 for the refresh). I took the head to a local shop that was recommended on here and told them to do a full refresh. So I assumed that they checked everything out and would have replaced any parts that were worn. There was a broken exhaust stud, which they fixed with a timesert. I didn't have any leaks at all, the head and cam tower gaskets sealed up fine. I just decided to swap an LS1 in and no one wanted to buy the whole engine, so I decided to part it out."

I've bought and sold lots of parts from members here with no issues until now. I just asked him for a refund and told him that I will ship the head back in the same condition I received it in but he won't do it. He's just blowing me off. So I had to file a claim on PayPal. He said "what if you send me back a different head"? Well since the picture below is the reason I was buying a head in the first place I'm pretty sure you'll notice a broken off tap in the exhaust stud hole!

Here are some pictures from when I took the head out of the box.

I was a little suspicious when one of the valves had a lot more carbon on it than the others. There was also black soot all over that same exhaust port where the exhaust manifold bolts up. Here are some pictures from when I took the head out of the box.

I took my car to a really good local shop. These guys have been working on and 944 Turbos since '86. They had the head checked out by the machine shop and the head was overheated and not holding vacuum. It was warped top and bottom as well as the valve seats being distorted from the warp. They did a vacuum test on the ports and it doesn't hold vacuum. Not to mention 2 of the exhaust valves are screwed. I called the machine shop myself yesterday to get the details and emailed them to Supes6, no response...

I mean, if you sell something that's not as advertised, even if you didn't realize it, just take it back! It's not that big of a deal. Don't try to rip people off and argue with them about it.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Oh and I forgot...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
sparkyman215
Instructor

Can't say anything about this transaction but have bought stuff from Supes6 in the past and everything came as described and I was very happy. He even sent one part a second time (on his dime) to me because my mailman is an idiot and decided for a week to start sending everything back to sender that came to me.

Kinglenario, hope everything works out for you. I am like you and do lots of buying and selling online. For the most part everything goes very smoothly but it seems like once a year something happens.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:23 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a problem with him but he refunded me some money and made it right but it was only $ 125.00 or so for the total transaction, ask for a partial refund and sell the valves, alone I get $ 179.00 for a full set of oem valves and springs
Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

now... for the response?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
kinglenario
Racer

I just want to return the head how I got it (screwed up) for a refund. It's not that big of a deal. He just needs to do the right thing. I'm always fair with sales here, on ebay and on other forums. I've never had an issue like this where someone doesn't make any effort at all to make it right.

All I wanted was good head
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by lart951
I had a problem with him but he refunded me some money and made it right but it was only $ 125.00 or so for the total transaction, ask for a partial refund and sell the valves, alone I get $ 179.00 for a full set of oem valves and springs
Interesting that you had a problem too...
Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kinglenario
So you're saying Supes6 doesn't...nevermind
Old 05-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont we all?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Having met Karl (IIRC) in person last year, he is a straight guy...

Not sure what is happening with this head, or the transaction, but he helped me out when I needed it!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Colin - You have a PM
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I was a little suspicious when one of the valves had a lot more carbon on it than the others. There was also black soot all over that same exhaust port where the exhaust manifold bolts up. Here are some pictures from when I took the head out of the box.

I took my car to a really good local shop. These guys have been working on and 944 Turbos since '86. They had the head checked out by the machine shop and the head was overheated and not holding vacuum. It was warped top and bottom as well as the valve seats being distorted from the warp. They did a vacuum test on the ports and it doesn't hold vacuum. Not to mention 2 of the exhaust valves are screwed. I called the machine shop myself yesterday to get the details and emailed them to Supes6, no response...

No comment on the transaction and who should be doing what, but you might want to really make sure about the condition of the head. Extra carbon on certain valves is not necessarily an indication that there is anything wrong with the head -- that's often related to tuning or other aspects of the motor. I've also never seen a used head without black soot all over the exhaust ports. As for your machine shop's assessment, I have no reason to question their report, but you might want to have them show you the warp with a straight edge -- should be easy to see if as bad as they say. Call me a skeptic, but I've had several machine shops identify lots of "issues" with parts that they graciously offer to "fix" at a cost... That said, I'm sure most shops are honest, including yours, but always wise to keep a healthy skeptism...
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 AM
carlege
Drifting

Sorry to hear of this Colin, i know you needed the head sooner rather than later
Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 AM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 944 head LUV THE 944s

Hello most of the times you pull these heads off youll see carbon as pictured the main thing is the carbon on the top of the valves from bad guides, when ever you purchase a used head it wise to have it pressure teted for cracks, it a simple process and cheap to do ,( unlike dye ) another wise thing is to make sure the shop doesn't grind the head flat. and that they have the proper machine shop tools , Usually these heads look worse than they really are and the sad thing is most guys are way over charge when you buy part or get work preformed ... Its not like it use to be ...???
head distortion is a big killer

see my pick copy paste
http://photobucket.com/promotionporsches

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58808122@N02/
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Ripped off by member Supes6