Ripped off by member Supes6

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

You said "another wise thing is to make sure the shop doesn't grind the head flat" ??? So warped heads are ok?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:18 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
No comment on the transaction and who should be doing what, but you might want to really make sure about the condition of the head. Extra carbon on certain valves is not necessarily an indication that there is anything wrong with the head -- that's often related to tuning or other aspects of the motor. I've also never seen a used head without black soot all over the exhaust ports. As for your machine shop's assessment, I have no reason to question their report, but you might want to have them show you the warp with a straight edge -- should be easy to see if as bad as they say. Call me a skeptic, but I've had several machine shops identify lots of "issues" with parts that they graciously offer to "fix" at a cost... That said, I'm sure most shops are honest, including yours, but always wise to keep a healthy skeptism...
The valve seats were distorted to the point that the machine shop didn't offer to fix to make more money. Their input was that I was better off starting with a head in better condition.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:02 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I've also never seen a used head without black soot all over the exhaust ports.
This soot wasn't in the port, it was on the outside of the head where the manifold flange and gasket is supposed to be. Looked like it was running with a deteriorated manifold gasket on that cylinder and exhaust leak for a while.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kinglenario
The valve seats were distorted to the point that the machine shop didn't offer to fix to make more money. Their input was that I was better off starting with a head in better condition.
The valve seats are replaceable...

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-9...eats-srch.html

$20.98 for intake
$11.98 for exhaust

So I too am puzzled regarding the "better off with a new head" from the machine shop..

Have you had work done by them before?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

$20.98 for intake
$11.98 for exhaust

So I too am puzzled regarding the "better off with a new head" from the machine shop..

The machine shop is highly regarded, the shop does machining for several of the Porsche mechanics in town.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

$20.98 for intake
$11.98 for exhaust

Yep, really good shop. I didn't buy the head to rebuild. I bought it because it was supposed to be ready to go. If it needed to just be decked then fine, but it needed over $500 worth of work to get it up to spec. Lindsey charges $577 for a rebuilt head ready to go.

It's really the fact that Supes6 will not take back something that was falsely described and that is the problem. In fact he won't even return an email or reply to the paypal dispute. I would return something in a second for any other person on here or on ebay if something was poorly represented or malfunctioning. In fact I've had a couple other people on here offer me heads in good condition ready to go through PM and offer a 30 day return since I've posted this thread...

Last edited by kinglenario; 05-04-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kinglenario
It's really the fact that Supes6 will not take back something that was falsely described that is the problem. In fact he won't even return an email or reply to the paypal dispute. I would return something in a second for any other person on here or on ebay if something was poorly represented or malfunctioning. In fact I've had a couple other people on here offer me heads in good condition ready to go through PM and offer a 30 day return since I've posted this thread...
And Colin to his credit was a great seller when he sold me some tires. Great communication and was completely up-front with what he was selling. Even cut me a break on the price because I had competing priorities.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Thanks Aaron, I kinda miss those Bridgestones! They were awesome in the rain and tracked really straight compared to my Khumo XS's.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 AM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by [B
lart951;9501638]You said [/B]"another wise thing is to make sure the shop doesn't grind the head flat" ??? So warped heads are ok?

To clarfiy Lart 951 allot of older shops who repair heads Grind the heads straight with a large stone , The newer style machines $$$ should only be used ( they cut with blades ) , the grind methods works but doesn't leave the head surface as smooth. and usually take off too much material ,
heads and block resurfacing should be done on a milling type machine...My point is if you don't see these types of machines your probably in the wrong palce .

One of the main reason why allot of people get into car binds is the lack of experience ans knowledge, \ as well as what to LOOK FOR

"And Warped heads aren't good "
... But you should drill holes in the pistons this make them go up and down FASTER
Attached Images   
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm kidding about the Piston hole drilling ....... just in case
Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

It seems to me that some form of communication would have appeased this situation. Personally, I would not have bought a head sight unseen. But I do not own a 951. I probably would have asked the seller to send me some kind of PPI, so that I would better have a leg to stand on. But I am still learning about cars other than mine.

That said, I really hope you two can work this all out. $300 is hardly worth the trust we all have here with one another. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:03 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by Bonster
It seems to me that some form of communication would have appeased this situation. Personally, I would not have bought a head sight unseen. But I do not own a 951. I probably would have asked the seller to send me some kind of PPI, so that I would better have a leg to stand on. But I am still learning about cars other than mine.

That said, I really hope you two can work this all out. $300 is hardly worth the trust we all have here with one another. Good luck.
I agree completely. I emailed him multiple times and let him know of the issues. I assured him that I would send back the head EXACTLY as it was shipped to me. He basically said he would not issue a refund or take it back. This was a week before I posted here. I also let him know that if he didn't refund me that I would post the story here. So he was warned and I gave him every opportunity to do the right thing and return the head.

I agree as well that $300 isn't that big of a deal but it would have been more entertaining and a lot less frustrating to just watch it burn. I also think that people on the board should know that this may happen to them if they buy something from supes6 or ksudar on pelican.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I also think it says A LOT that Supes6 has been on the board several times over the past few days and has not responded to this thread!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, I do t know what is up. Everybody seems to have great dealings with him in the last, yet he has not even responded to my reply to his complaint about this thread. Maybe he is just having a really hard time right now or something. But if he is, many of us, if not most of us, would have had an understanding. But that takes communication. Hopefully he sees what we are posting so be knows we don't dislike the guy - we just want to know what is going on. This needs to get worked out. Good luck to him and to the OP.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 AM
supes6
Racer

Originally Posted by refresh951
I also think it says A LOT that Supes6 has been on the board several times over the past few days and has not responded to this thread!
Yes, I have not responded.. what would be the point? I've already responded to king lenario's emails and he is not open to dialogue on the subject. He is convinced that I ripped him off and is demanding a full refund, plus an extra $60 for shipping.

The fact is, I did everything in my power to describe the item accurately, I packaged everything carefully, and I shipped it out the next day. I even threw in a water pump and rollers for free when he asked if I still had them.

This head was running perfectly fine when it was bolted to my engine block. It wasn't leaking, eating coolant, or causing any power issues. When I pulled it, the head gasket sealing rings looked brand new (and I kept the gasket to prove it). I had no reason whatsoever to believe there were any issues with it.

He claimed it was warped 30 thousandths, then later said it was warped 3 thousandths. I never checked the flatness or sent it out to be checked, nor did I state that I had.

He claimed the valve seats are distorted and unrepairable. I searched this whole site and couldn't find one instance of this happening.

He filed a paypal dispute, crippled my account and then launched a character attack on this site. At this point, I feel that the damage is done and I would not feel comfortable accepting a return. I don't feel that I did anything wrong but it probably doesn't matter, paypal rules in favor of the buyer about 95% of the time in these situations.

Quick Reply: Ripped off by member Supes6