Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
There are lots of reasons metal can be in the oil, what make them sure it is a rod bearing? I am off the the track to try and break my car and have fun..I hope things get worked out soon.

BTW: I have no experience with the shop in question, I just hate seeing accusations throw around without facts. There are several very good engine builders on the board, I would suggest you drop a line to Chris White. Always nice to have a second opinion.
speculations? that time has passed, they already gave him the bill if he wants to fix the # 2 bearing is $ 8100.00 for a engine overhaul. BTW those $ 8100.00 are on top of the $ 8000.00 he already paid the shop for x work tuning etc etc.

Originally Posted by p5th
they gave me a quote of $8,100 to fix it. There is no way I'm going to the wife and saying I'm paying ANOTHER 8k to fix car.3) 2.5 more than likely,I figured I'd have one built for less than 8k?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P5th. I think before you started this thread you should talk to them and figure out what happened. At this point there's a lot of speculation. I understand your fustration since I have been there already. I'm very mechanically inclined but I'm always affraid of blowing something. I spent ~7K at a mechanic just to do maintenance. After that I started seing things I didn't like + the attitude 1 one mechanic there that I told him to go F***** himself. After I received the car sometimes the car would shut off randomly. I had paid for new Porsche Speed/reference sensors, and I even replaced the other part of the harness even after checking continuity with a Multimeter. The problem persisted and after that I was in disblief that they broke the cable right by the sensor. After replacing it with a BMW sensor I have been shut off free for the last year. These cars are not that hard to work on. My biggest problem actually is not having enough height on my garage to put a lift. You have people by you that are very knowlegble like Joka and other people.Good luck, I hope you keep her.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

It's certainly odd that they haven't posted the charts yet, but that's hardly an admission of guilt....
Old 04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

I have called,PM'd,Text messaged about dyno sheets.Maybe Dan just has not seen them yet? Don't know,I will give them benifit of doubt.Hopefully they will be up soon.Trying to stay positive.Just want car working is all.No not getting rid of car,have too many brand new parts still.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by minho78
P5th. I think before you started this thread you should talk to them and figure out what happened. At this point there's a lot of speculation. I understand your fustration since I have been there already. I'm very mechanically inclined but I'm always affraid of blowing something. I spent ~7K at a mechanic just to do maintenance. After that I started seing things I didn't like + the attitude 1 one mechanic there that I told him to go F***** himself. After I received the car sometimes the car would shut off randomly. I had paid for new Porsche Speed/reference sensors, and I even replaced the other part of the harness even after checking continuity with a Multimeter. The problem persisted and after that I was in disblief that they broke the cable right by the sensor. After replacing it with a BMW sensor I have been shut off free for the last year. These cars are not that hard to work on. My biggest problem actually is not having enough height on my garage to put a lift. You have people by you that are very knowlegble like Joka and other people.Good luck, I hope you keep her.
Part numbers for the bmw speed-ref sensors?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dillon410021
where can I get that cover that covers the cruise control and brake booster?
It's from a 968. I've actually got the same cover on my car -- really cleans it up right? Note how it doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the engine bay: that's because the hood on a 968 is narrower...

I think I paid $10 for mine at a junkyard.

Originally Posted by toddk911
Part numbers for the bmw speed-ref sensors?
There have been a number of threads on the BMW S&R sensors. A search should tell you what you need. The only difference in the BMW sensors is the length of the lead.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Yes please search since I might be wrong. I think the part is the following Bosch 0261210002. They were used in the ~ same year BMW 535i and 735I.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

These are for last two years
Attached Files
File Type: zip
car stuff.zip.zip (430 Bytes, 5 views)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

hmmmm

Last edited by p5th; 04-27-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: mispoke
Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

I'm going to assume that there was a mis-communication about what number is my personal cell phone, and which number is the shop phone, because my wife says that my celll is blowing up at home, but I haven't received any calls here at work... Sorry about that Pernell, let's see if I can get a copy of the dyno up.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
pernelldyno.pdf (319.7 KB, 121 views)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Don't take this the wrong way but why are dyno sheets so necessary to figuring out the extent of the issue?

More important than dyno sheets, I would be focusing on whether IMA are being communicative and if they are, what they are saying. This is an issue you and IMA should be dealing with, alone. If, after you have each had an opportunity to clearly vet the context surrounding the issues, causation, and perspectives on potential application of blame and you are unable to reach an agreement, then I welcome you to bring your case to RL and raise hell.

My concern is that you and IMA haven't had an opportunity to discuss things at length and may be jumping to conclusions. I really don't know either one of you all that well so my perspective is that you are both right until proven otherwise.

I'm very sorry for all this tribulation you've gone thru with your car; if you ever need a wrenching buddy I'm your man.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

Originally Posted by lart951
where is the dyno sheet,? Didn't you paid for the dyno too? Aren't you entitled to see them?
Dyno sheet showing Boost and HP is posted, as soon as we fix our printer for the dyno, I'll scan some more in. Pernell also has copies that were given to him.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Dan -- what gear was that pull done in? That's an awful lot of torque; makes me wonder if it was done in 3rd?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

I have that sheet,no afr numbers and all of that. After sheets are posted this thread will close. I got more and more down the more I heard that day.Thats why I left,couldn't take anymore.Friday car was fine,Monday morning car was fine,monday afternoon car dead.That was hard to deal with for me. I left without them,just wanted a drink after hearing what happened.

Last edited by p5th; 04-27-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
$8k to fix?

Yikes.

Times like these, I'm happy I do all my own work. I would have never guessed that a bottom end bearing job would be $8k.
Well, it's more than a bearing job. The #2 bearing spun, damaging the crank and the rod. The estimate given includes:

Remove engine/teardown
repair crank/rod
replace bearings
flush oil system(debris throughout oiling system, best to be sure)
new rings
gasket sets
and labor.

Our initial hope was that we caught it in time, and that there was no damage to the crank or rod, but that wasn't the case. If we are going to fix it, we want to make sure it stays together, plain and simple. Oh, and here's a picture of the bearing from #2

Quick Reply: I'm done!!!