Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project back on.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Project back on.

Finally recieved my new harness and can't wait to install I will need to pick up a few connectors and change a few things. But I thought I would start a thread since I am sure I will need advice along the way.

Also waiting on another heat sheild that I plan to modify so I dont have to pull the turbo.

PLan to add an J&S unit to monitor and control knock. The harness that came with the engine and EMS was in such poor shape, I could not get a good crank signal. I have a few busy weeks , which I hope to get in everything else I need.
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2012, 08:33 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! Who built the harness?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Thanks,

Wayne @ TPG. It took longer then expected but the quality was nice. I will need to source the following connectors.

- the oil sending unit terminals and rubber plugs
- for the engine temp sensor for the dash, I would like to find some spade terminals that bend in a 90 deg, but not sure how to find these.

I am hoping to have time to lay it out tommarrow.
Steve
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

I will need to wait untill I recieve some connectors, J&S harness, and the heat sheild. Then I can put the intake back on.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a "map" for these harnesses to scale that can be blown up or projected?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Got a chance to work on the car a good bit this weekend. Was able to get the heatshied back on w/o removing the turbo, by splitting the heat sheild. it worked pretty good with a few complications mostly where the sheild had the most metal to secure was in the worst spot to access under the downpipe. Although I would have known this if the sheild was on in the firstplace. wont forget it again.

Also wired in the J & S knock controller and alot of the electrical for the ECU. I hope I dont have to add anything else. The port I had made earlier in the firewall is stuffed with accesories

I have a few things to finish on the harness and on the engine before the intake goes back on hopefully next weekend.

Having a harness that is not all hard and brittle in really nice. Nite and day difference.
Attached Images   
Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Have the intake back on, so engine bay is about done except for the catch can, I need to have a new mounting bracket made.

I had forgotten but does the ICV go to the boost tube leading to TB?
and the cranck case vapors go to the intake tree?

I have a few more wires for the ECU that I forgot, then hopefully tommarrow I can start to power on the ECU and see what happens. Hopefully the wiring is all correct. I am eager to see if the dash cluster all works correctly.
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice job. Harness looks well made. Worth the wait.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice cam gear cover ;-)
Old 06-03-2012, 09:29 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Finally found issue with crank sensor not seeing flywheel. Just noise when running the test oscillioscope on the the ECU.

The engine (87) and standalone came without a bellhousing. So I used one from a junk car(87) then the engine sat for a while. When fianlly installing saw that the bell housing did not have a bracket. So I used the one from my car (86). Then I fought the stock harness for 3 months and waited another 5 for the custom harness. Same problem. Funny thing was when we moved to the speed port over the ring gear, the sesnor would pick up the signal even at a gap over 3 mm.

I must pause to thank Brian Broderick who has been helping me try to fiqure this out the whole time. He definately shared in my frustration.

I was talking to Chuck @ Paragon the other day about the sesnors and he mentioned an updated bracket sensor bracket which started in 87. When i looked it up on their website, it mentioned a problem with early cars having an issue with the starter. The updated bracket had an insert to help reduce noise. I figured it was worth a shot before pulling the starter or trying another ECU. I went down to shop and found one. Installed and a signal came up first try..

Would have never guessed, everyone involved was stunned...........

Like a needle in a haystack.

Last edited by DrZ1; 06-03-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:25 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Fantastic info. It seems the greatest problem that myself and everyone else on here has with an aftermarket ECU is with noise on the reference sensor. Great find. This will help many in the future.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Happy to help, it only took a year and countless weekends.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:55 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I was kinda lucky in this regard. My tuner has tuned MoTeC for a retarded amount of time and used his "best Guess" as to what was wrong. He connected the lead to an oscilloscope and showed me the noise. We then hooked a temporary shielded wire and better sensor up to it. He showed me the new signal that was much nicer. He then told me it still sucked compared to what the computer should see.. lol. That was when I made the 60-1 aluminum Flywheel, but never got around to using it since I get to use all Stock stuff on the V8. Problem should never come up again.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:32 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

It idles!!!

Last night we started it for the first time in 2 yrs. I have been fighting this no start for a year, and the problem was the reference sensor bracket the whole time. It was nice to hear it alive.

Need top do some general maintance on the new brakes and suspension to have it road worthy. Hopefully next weekend.

Interior is a wreck will start to putting things back. I modified the glove box by cutting it in half. So I can get acess to all my wiring a little easier. Hate it back there. ALso so rats decided that my resistor fan wiring looked good. So I have to change some of it out again.

Major changes waiting will be the roll bar and finally paint.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

After fighting bleeding the clutch, was able to finally drive a little. Planned to tune but having issues with the PLX wideband. Sent it off to rule out module. Ordered a new sensor only to findout they changed the harness connector to accept diffent style sesnor connector. Should have this ironed out next weekend.

I thought I would share the modification I made in the display. Did not really want on the A-pillar where I have my boost guage. I have the AFR and oil temp modules.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Project back on.