Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cep fuel rail install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012 | 01:01 PM
jb-kix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cep fuel rail install

I'm having one put on my car today and have only seen it installed with a remote fuel regulator ,is that the only way?anyone have any pictures?
Thanks for any help.
Old 04-12-2012 | 01:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be done with a 'saddle adapter'. I think Dave offered one as an optional 'add-on' for the kit, but you can purchase one that will work with it.

This is basically the same thing, and compatible with the stock FPR.

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/p...il_FPR_Adapter

Here is the above product mounted on my car with the CEP rail. Line routing is a mess as this was for test purposes, but you get the idea.

or with an adjustable regulator..

Old 04-12-2012 | 02:05 PM
jb-kix
Instructor

Perfect thank you !
Old 04-12-2012 | 03:45 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

What's the difference between this fuel rail and the one from Lindsey?

Looks like they are both a pile up of stuff that can be seen in parts catalogs for classic V8 pushrod engines.
Old 04-12-2012 | 04:36 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thom

Looks like they are both a pile up of stuff that can be seen in parts catalogs for classic V8 pushrod engines.
Spacing and depth of the injector holes, as well as the spacing and length of the supporting legs.

Not rocket science, but is bolt on....
Old 04-12-2012 | 04:37 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom

If by pile up of stuff you mean the AN fittings/lines and fuel pressure regulator, then yes. Obviously the rail, mounts and dampner are all custom built. I think Lindsey has updated their old fire starter rail with 4 legs now so the only difference between the two is how they look and price. Lindsey might still have NPT fittings too, which I don't care for but they might have changed that by now too. The rail is a nice replacement if the stock one is old and leaking and if you want an adjustable FPR like the Aeromotive one in the pictures.
Old 04-12-2012 | 05:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Both the LR and CEP rail are very nice parts. Here is a little comparo between the two as i have used both on my car.

With that said the LR rail is a bit longer and can be a bit trouble some to mount due to space constraints between the end of the fuel damper and the firewall (wireharness, vacuum lines..etc are all there). The LR rail also still uses NPT ports on the rear for the damper adapter aswell as the inlet fitting. The CEP rail uses ORB fittings on everything. The LR rail is slightly lower profile (marginally) so more clearance with a strut tower bar. But both the CEP and LR rails are so much lower than the stock rail its a moot point.

The LR rail also lets you change around the injector harness routing a little. It is designed so spin the injectors around 180 degrees and have the injector connectors on the intake side.. see my pictures for reference. The other thing is the mounting legs on the LR rail are non adjustable. In my opinion this kind of a moot point also.

LR rail on my car, you can see the damper is pretty squished against the bundle of wires / vac lines.

CEP rail on my car..

Much more space between the firewall and damper

Much more space between the rail and strut bar (KLA) now. Note, the round portion you see is the damper all the way at the back of the rail.. the actual top of the fuel rail if you look closely is basically the same height as black fitting at the front. Mind you this is with brand new engine mounts also, so engine height is as high as it will go.

And the two rails side by side. Note i am using a different damper on the CEP rail in these pictures, but you get the idea.

Both fuel rails are really nice parts. I preferred the damper on the LR rail personally (made by Marren). But the ORB fittings on the CEP rail give me more peace of mind than NPT. The length thing is not a huge issue, i just had to play around with the routing of the negative battery cable and rearrange some vacuum lines.. but it can be a tight squeeze. Mine was a special case i guess with the extra stuff i have running across the firewall (Iceshark cables..etc). On a stock car it is a non issue probably. The difference in injector harness routing is up to you which you prefer. My main gripe with both rails is the lack of provisions for injector clips. So when pulling the fuel rail, unless very careful it can be a mess. Or you can do something like this to drain the rails.. Disconnect the return line and blow through it to push the fuel out the feed.. .

Last edited by Techno Duck; 04-12-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2012 | 08:46 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

anyone got pricing on the CEP fuel rail?been thinking of purchasing one.
Old 04-12-2012 | 09:13 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a group buy some time ago.
http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10443
Old 04-12-2012 | 09:58 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
anyone got pricing on the CEP fuel rail?been thinking of purchasing one.
$295 http://customengineeredperformance.com/aboutus.html
Old 04-12-2012 | 10:51 PM
jb-kix
Instructor

Hey thank you techno duck those pictures did the trick! We got it done .I did a m-tune too,now where trying to make a cool air trap for air cleaner.
Old 04-13-2012 | 12:09 AM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by jb-kix
Hey thank you techno duck those pictures did the trick! We got it done .I did a m-tune too,now where trying to make a cool air trap for air cleaner.
Is it noticeably noisier? I've heard that there will be louder pulsing sounds with a billet rail. I've had a new CEP rail kit sitting in a box for a year and a half now, STILL waiting for me to install it.
Old 04-13-2012 | 01:08 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Great explanation, Jon. If I could have it my way, it would be ORB ( O-ring boss) fuel in and ORB fuel directly out the back. No dampner. Much simpler, less risk of leak. However, Dave and I have argued that one to death.
Old 04-13-2012 | 03:48 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a first gen (?) LR rail but swapped it for a stock rail as I got tired of the ticking noise at idle, even with the Marren fuel damper on, and couldn't stand the blue/pink colour scheme anymore on an otherwise stock-looking engine.

Jon, have you been able to notice any difference in noise with either units over the stock fuel rail?
Old 04-13-2012 | 02:13 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

There was some extra taping / pulsing i noticed at idle and when backing out of my driveway. Its not really all that loud, but noticeable. My car is pretty loud though, so i may be missing more. This is with 72lb Deka injectors.

Quick Reply: cep fuel rail install