Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cylinder stabilization

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
contact Jeff Lemons - he is working on a pretty trick head stud with integrated bed plate.

jeff@4451asr.com

Will do, thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 AM
AL951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SId, Have you consider running lower boost,but higher RPMs to make the power you want. This way your max cylinder pressure would be lower, and the higher RPMs would net you more HP. I really like your set up, I think it has a lot of potential. I don't know how fast your running the engine, but if you have a head that flows great should not that hard. I am sure it could work.

Regards,
AL
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Al,

In the past I have not had good luck running more rpms. I have spun a couple bearings. I shift at 6800 right now. I think that is as high as I want to push it. I am however, going to limit the boost until my other engine is put together fully.

I just got it back together without any coolant or water in it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it behaves.

I do think it is a great setup for a lower boost application. This thing rpms like none of the others I've had in here. It's pretty good sounding honestly.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AL951
SId, Have you consider running lower boost,but higher RPMs to make the power you want. This way your max cylinder pressure would be lower, and the higher RPMs would net you more HP. I really like your set up, I think it has a lot of potential. I don't know how fast your running the engine, but if you have a head that flows great should not that hard. I am sure it could work.

Regards,
AL
It's expensive to build for high rpm's (8000+ rpm). Lot's of work of the cylinder head, solid lifters, aggressive camshaft, dry sump etc...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

There are a couple of ways to minimize the cylinder movement. I have been using the Darton MID sleeves with good success on engines over 600 crank HP – but the head lift problem is still annoying.

So I am finally trying the best fix. It starts with a large rectangular chunk of aluminum and you remove the material you don’t need until you have a block…..(cue sound of cat getting out of a bag)
Features –
Solid closed top deck (with coolant passages of course!)
Siamesed cylinders
Steel main caps (cast aluminum girdle is not a very high strength solution!)
Nikasil or iron sleeves
Revisions to cylinder floor position, cylinder wall thickness, oiling passages, and head stud type and length.
All stock accessories will bolt on.
Options for gas filled oring grooves in the block / head surface, special dry sump configuration, and just about whatever else you might wish.

I may accept a couple of Beta testers if anybody is interested. I won’t fully market it until I have some real world testing done……
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
There are a couple of ways to minimize the cylinder movement. I have been using the Darton MID sleeves with good success on engines over 600 crank HP – but the head lift problem is still annoying.

So I am finally trying the best fix. It starts with a large rectangular chunk of aluminum and you remove the material you don’t need until you have a block…..(cue sound of cat getting out of a bag)
Features –
Siamesed cylinders
Nikasil or iron sleeves
Revisions to cylinder floor position, cylinder wall thickness, oiling passages, and head stud type and length.
Options for gas filled oring grooves in the block / head surface, special dry sump configuration, and just about whatever else you might wish.

I may accept a couple of Beta testers if anybody is interested. I won’t fully market it until I have some real world testing done……
You do realize Beta testers usually receive product for free in return for their feedback and input??

Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Features –
Siamesed cylinders
Nikasil or iron sleeves

Sounds like a good plan. Billet block would be quite the improvement. That's gonna be one expensive venture. Kudos to you for supporting such a small group. Looking at the 16v head I could see some ridiculous power.
I'm looking forward to you guys maxing that out.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sooooooo Chris. What about building an inline 6 that fits the dimensions of the four? I was thinking about that a while ago but, well....... I am lacking the engineering resource I do however have a good friend with a pretty high tech machine shop. I'm trying to convince our chief engineer at my work to hire this engineer thats a car nut.....he is leaning towards another guy

Very cool to hear your trying something like this

good luck with the project,

Jason

Features –
Siamesed cylinders
Nikasil or iron sleeves

Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Features –
Siamesed cylinders
Nikasil or iron sleeves

Garrity was talking about trying that but don't think it ever came to life. Better fasteners can help the bottom end hold together when pushing the power, but the skys the limit with a clean slate design. Would love to see you post up dynos and/or more info on those 600hp+ motors.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, I like your ambition. However, realistically speaking it's just a lot of money for some cool factor. Which, don't get me wrong, I do respect. The problem is that you wouldn't be allowed to run anything like that in PCA club racing. Why wouldn't you just adapt an already factory superior motor from another car to a 944 than designing something that. There is no doubt that it will have one or more expensive failures before a successful design. Realistically, no one will ever really do this. It's a nice idea to think about, though.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:51 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Would love to see you post up dynos and/or more info on those 600hp+ motors.
Yeah, same here.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
You do realize Beta testers usually receive product for free in return for their feedback and input??

That depends - if you use the Microsoft Beta testing model you charge the same as retail but then release a buggy product so that everybody else can do you R&D…..
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by DDP
Chris, I like your ambition. However, realistically speaking it's just a lot of money for some cool factor. Which, don't get me wrong, I do respect. The problem is that you wouldn't be allowed to run anything like that in PCA club racing. Why wouldn't you just adapt an already factory superior motor from another car to a 944 than designing something that. There is no doubt that it will have one or more expensive failures before a successful design. Realistically, no one will ever really do this. It's a nice idea to think about, though.
I am working on the club racing aspect, hopefully it will be allowed as a replacement due to the unavailability of new 944 blocks. The 911 guys only have to have a factory case – their cylinders are free (GT class) and I don’t believe that is reasonable. If they won’t allow a nonfactory replacement block then the 911 class GT cars should only be allowed factory cylinder barrels.

Fitting other motors in to a 944 has been done by many, that’s just not my style. The other problem is that some PCA clubs won’t allow a V8 944 at a DE ( I think that’s a little silly but it does happen). I happen to like the 944 motor. In reality I could do all the things I want by welding a 944 block solid and then machining out what I wanted…..that might be a little over the top but it is doable!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by DDP
Yeah, same here.
OK – here is a tease – it’s a 3.1 8v that I had on the dyno a couple of weeks ago. The dyno controller died before I got to fine tune it – this is the first pass at medium boost – wheel horse power.

Add some tuning (spark advance is very conservative) and another 3 lbs of boost – that will get it to over 500rwhp (approx. 600 crank HP)

Nice flat torque curve for a first session! (boost controller was not set up yet)
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Features –
Siamesed cylinders
Nikasil or iron sleeves

Very awesome!

Quick Reply: Cylinder stabilization