Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Universal fit O2 sensor or exact fit for more $$

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Universal fit O2 sensor or exact fit for more $$

Just wondering if the sensors are the same? The universal Bosche is ~$60 and the exact fit is ~$100. Is the extra $40 worth it?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always used the universal kit with the posi-lock connector kit. Never had any problems. If your a stickler for OEM i can see getting one, but i cant see spending the extra money.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Techno is the smartest Duck I know, so his advice is good.

I did mine last summer and used the OEM fit, just seemed easier to me.

Remember, when you unplug the connector at the top of the engine, tie a string to the wire lead on the old sensor, then pull the string down through the bottom when your remove the sensor.

That way, you can tie the string to the new wire lead on the new sensor and pull it up through the top. Easy that way.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. And thanks for the string tip chrenan!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:41 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

I did search (on O2 sensor in this forum) and read for about 30+ minutes before I decided to save some time and just post, Reno my friend. Then went out in the garage, converted a 24-pin DME to 28 pin, came inside 15 minutes later and had my answer. Multitasking is a wonderful thing.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What is your 89 doing with a 24 pin chipboard??
Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

I had a wierd no start problem recently which turned out to be related to the DME I've been using for the past 5+ years (possibly). I also have a relatively pristine 24-pin unit (tabs apparently never been openned until now, exceptionally clean inside) that I thought I'd throw in there for good measure. I'm going back to stock chips/injectors/etc. for a smog check and want a new O2 sensor in there to boot.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I have an O2 sensor still attached to an 87 951 motor in my garage in Riverside, I have no need for it. Car it came off of had 97k miles, don't know if it's original or really even good but it looks not-so-old. You can have it for $free.99.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:03 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I did search (on O2 sensor in this forum) and read for about 30+ minutes before I decided to save some time and just post, Reno my friend. Then went out in the garage, converted a 24-pin DME to 28 pin, came inside 15 minutes later and had my answer. Multitasking is a wonderful thing.
Then you dont know how to search. Theres even pictures on the how too. clarks might have it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Mtnman, not sure if you have a wideband? If so, lots of them -- such as the zeitronix -- have a simulated narrow band output you can wire into the DME in place of the factory O2 sensor. You can keep closed loop at 14.7 or adjust it too...
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom, but don't have a wideband just yet. I know I really, really should have one at this point. Especially bummed I've been putting it off because my local good friend/exhaust guy just quit his shop... Does (or can) the wideband sensor install in place of the narrowband?

Thanks for the offer V2! The one I have appears to be working fine too, but I'm not sure how old/many miles is on it and I'm on a little quest to return to stock for emissions testing just to see where things are.

Reno you dufus, ..... I'm not even going to waste my time.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Then you dont know how to search. Theres even pictures on the how too. clarks might have it.
RENO Give it up !!! PLEASE !!!
Will you just leave people alone?
Go bother people on some other board !!!
What is it with you ....??
If you can't help out, then just go find something else to do.....
There are a lot of people on this board that are frankly tired of your," DO A SEARCH antics ...
Most of them, too nice to say anything ( sadly I'm not one of them )
It's old and worn out! It may have been cute or funny the first 20 times
If you can't add something to the thread, then please don't post anything
I think at times, you really try to help, but a lot of times your just squashing the exchange of information ... and frankly, who died and made you King ?
No one here needs to be the traffic cop!! Rennist has moderators, and last I checked, you were not one of them !
I am trying my best to be civil... Please stop with the," DO A SEARCH"....
Thanks
Ed
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Thanks Tom, but don't have a wideband just yet. I know I really, really should have one at this point. Especially bummed I've been putting it off because my local good friend/exhaust guy just quit his shop... Does (or can) the wideband sensor install in place of the narrowband?

Thanks for the offer V2! The one I have appears to be working fine too, but I'm not sure how old/many miles is on it and I'm on a little quest to return to stock for emissions testing just to see where things are.

Reno you dufus, ..... I'm not even going to waste my time.
I wouldn't try it putting the wideband in the factory o2 location. The sensor is only good to 800c according to Zeitronix, which is less than 1500 degrees -- well within range of the cross-over gas temps. If you have access to a MIG welder, you can buy an O2 port on ebay for next to nothing and stick it right on there. I'm no welder AT ALL, but was able to put a port on my test pipe -- it is functional and merely ugly to look at.

(Not sure if or how Robstah's post relates to what I said, but sounds like he's not a fan of all the MAF systems out there that use an external controller to fine-tune the fuel. For what it's worth though, who among us wouldn't want a perfect tune without the need for external devices... )

Quick Reply: Universal fit O2 sensor or exact fit for more $$