Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pikington will make saratoga tops Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:26 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Baptizo
I've decided to forgo buying a bronze unit since it wouldn't look right on my red '86 but if they come out with a dark tinted version I might buy one (if I still have the car).
I don't think it looks to bad
It's a bronze on a red car.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2013, 02:11 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
I don't think it looks to bad
It's a bronze on a red car.
Yup, if you don't have tinted glass elsewhere. Which that one pictured does not.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Indeed... Tint the roof on the outside lol. My cars Zermatt so bronze will look good
Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good news is that you got a bronze at a very cheap price, the grey they mentioned earlier in the thread would increase the price a great deal. Still sounds like its up in the air they may not do any more tops at all, the sales really are going to be the deciding factor.

I am curious however how many tops were sold yesterday in total?

I'm betting 350 tops
I'm staying by my decision because I know the top will not be very well seen much of the time, and I'll be getting my windows tinted so it will sort of "go along with" the tinted windows, and I need to get my current top resprayed anyways.

Its not like I regret getting bronze, but, I'm bothered that Pilk did not inquire with the forum or the potential actual purchasers what they wanted. They made 800 units based on a couple of people requesting it... not scores. Now that the information that they will potentially make grey/smoke/rhino-colored tops is out... people are probably going to wait and not purchase until the others, if they ever will be available, are produced.

I can't be mad at them for giving a damn and making these tops for us (I bought one despite my fears that they may produce grey tops later for crying out loud), but it bothers me that the liaison(s) for this whole shibang had them make JUST ONE color.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangonesailor
I'm staying by my decision because I know the top will not be very well seen much of the time, and I'll be getting my windows tinted so it will sort of "go along with" the tinted windows, and I need to get my current top resprayed anyways.

Its not like I regret getting bronze, but, I'm bothered that Pilk did not inquire with the forum or the potential actual purchasers what they wanted. They made 800 units based on a couple of people requesting it... not scores. Now that the information that they will potentially make grey/smoke/rhino-colored tops is out... people are probably going to wait and not purchase until the others, if they ever will be available, are produced.

I can't be mad at them for giving a damn and making these tops for us (I bought one despite my fears that they may produce grey tops later for crying out loud), but it bothers me that the liaison(s) for this whole shibang had them make JUST ONE color.
When I read the reason for making bronze was " the original people putting forth the idea" I just laughed out loud. Really? I would said that's great you two want bronze but what about the majority? I guess their effort paid off for them personally, and they probably got theirs for free to boot.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

The good news is that you got a bronze at a very cheap price, the grey they mentioned earlier in the thread would increase the price a great deal. Still sounds like its up in the air they may not do any more tops at all, the sales really are going to be the deciding factor.

I am curious however how many tops were sold yesterday in total?

I'm betting 350 tops

I was told late yesterday afternoon that the number was less than 100.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fejjj
I was told late yesterday afternoon that the number was less than 100.
Wow really, it would be interesting if we had a hard time beating the 100 mark lol.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I called 2 hours ago and ordered one for $345 shipped. just saying. yay
Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

^ ah so they still honored it thats awesome. I had cancelled my order and call this morning to see if I could reinstate it and they did at the discounted price. The final deciding factor for me was by the time I fix my warped interior sunroof panel, change both seals and get the roof painted I would have a saratoga top that I could just leave in and look nice without the possibility of saggy vinyl.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie

A special thanks and shout out, to all those that help bring this to fruition!

Stephencs601

951Saga Jason...

and who ever else ( sorry I don't know all the names ) ?
Thanks Ed!

trirod Rod, in Toledo and my friend Andy, not on the list, provided their cars for testing too.

I apologize for the delayed photos. The new top I picked up yesterday was one of the first few assembled, the seal was not positioned quite right. The outer seal would hang up when the top was lowered. Today I stopped by Pilkington, exchanged with another top which fits very well.

I am extremely pleased with this top!
Compared to the original Saratoga, this new top exhibits no wind noise and due to the new seals, is even more quiet than the factory GRP top, lighter too.

In MY opinion the bronze looks great on my red car, honestly the bronze color is not noticeable due to the black interior. I only notice the tint when looking from outside the top through the front or side windows and of course when looking from inside to the sky.
I also like the added light in this dark interior, not too bright.

Will pop the top on my friends black/ linen 944 to compare.
My friend Andy, who also provided his '86T for this project, has the double black combo, should have photos form his later this week too.

Central OH is due some rain this week, will report back with the WT results also.

My apologies for the huge/ poor quality iPad photos...
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

next:
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

next,,