Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pikington will make saratoga tops Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb42
Does bronze have anything to do with reflecting the suns rays? Stopping fading and drying of the interior parts? just thinking here. What say all?
https://rennlist.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
Yes, all of the above But, I believe so do some other metallic reflective coatings, they are just a different and more appeasing colors
Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The folks on the 944 site really show no interest in this, yet here we are buying two at a time. Go figure.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
The folks on the 944 site really show no interest in this, yet here we are buying two at a time. Go figure.
No actually many people including myself have decided to rethink our decision.

Is it not possible to make these in a different tint?

I understand that they may have already committed to the bronze tint, but is it too late to produce some in black?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:41 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PilkClassics
Sorry, I was out of the office for a few days. The glass is scheduled to be produced (Toledo, Ohio) and shipped to our distribution center in mid-June. The hardware is still in development. Our engineers are working feverishly on it and (fingers crossed) I hope to have it ready once we receive the glass. They will be assembled here in Columbus, Ohio and shipped out immediately. Nothing's coming from China, Taiwan, or Peru! We will not be making the polycarbonate. Keep in mind, we are the orginal manufacturers of the Saratoga Top glass. We are running this batch off of the original tools to 100% engineering specs of the brand new tops you would have ordered from the Porsche dealers. Currently, there are only plans to run the frameless, powered bronze version. This is a one time batch that I've convinced our research facility to produce. We will have plenty of stock, but I cannot guarantee that the facility will run this again. On the side note, the glass will have the original LOF logo on it. We're also looking into the rights to the Saratoga Tops logo. I'll continue to update everyone. In the meantime, feel free to call me or keep posting if you have any questions.
Sorry, we can only do stock specs. All the printing is done online so it would be quite difficult to do any custom work.

Also can't do the grey at this point because of a raw material shortage. The grey glass will need to come from a different source and would up the cost significantly.
Sorry, nope. Raw materials supply shortage on the grey.... Unless something drastic changes from now to the scheduled run date, I don't think we can do that.
Originally Posted by fejjj
No actually many people including myself have decided to rethink our decision.

Is it not possible to make these in a different tint?

I understand that they have already committed to the bronze tint, but is it too late to produce some in black?
I also understand many have not read every post in this thread.

Try searching PilkClassics posts for a faster read.

I like the bronze and would also like other options too, but for this run the bronze glass was set early on and no surprise to those who have followed from the beginning.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha.. .. That reads like "thank god..... We have had a back stock of bronze roofs for 25 years...... They won't know the difference..... . Tell them they are new!"

Seriously.... "produced 100% to the original specs" Same logos and printing!?!?

Sounds to me like these are NOS parts!! Why only power roofs? Why only bronze? Why no chance in printing?

Suckas!! ;-)

Who was ranting about how much better these were than the originals? Yet produced 100% to original specs!?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha, I see you're having fun with this Cole. All your why's have answers, even if these were NOS glass tops, the hardware and seals are new/ improved, so yes the glass is 100% to original specs, or NOS... whatever you'd prefer.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:49 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

I am not sure what "up the cost significantly" means but I can't imagine it would be more than $50 a piece.

Even if it was say $75/top more, I can't imagine many people balking at $375 for a tinted top they would be happy with.

If it truly is cost prohibitive then why not just make clear ones and allow people to take them to their local tint shop to get the proper color/ darkness they prefer?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Sour Kraut's 951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew I saw the answer to the color question, so for those of you who did not see it back in post #167 this is how it reads...

https://rennlist.com/forums/9492868-post167.html

The green/grey was off the table due to material issues according to Pilk in that post.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sour Kraut's 951
I knew I saw the answer to the color question, so for those of you who did not see it back in post #167 this is how it reads...

https://rennlist.com/forums/9492868-post167.html

The green/grey was off the table due to material issues according to Pilk in that post.
Yeah, that post was also a 1yr and 4mo ago. Its possible that now, in the present, that they could possibly produce other tints by now. Or maybe in the next several months they may produce a different tint.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 970 Posts

2 things I have an original top and asked them if they would but the new seal on it they replied no just no! not even a reason why not and if you want a change in color try a window tinter they can tint it to your specs
Mike
Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mangonesailor
Yeah, that post was also a 1yr and 4mo ago. Its possible that now, in the present, that they could possibly produce other tints by now. Or maybe in the next several months they may produce a different tint.

Yeah I see that the post was 16 months ago.

Would really love to hear PILK chime in on this discussion.

1. Is it possible to now get the material to make either Black/ Smoke or Green?

2. What would be the cost difference if any?

3. Have you already purchased all the Bronze glass needed to make 800 tops?

4. If at this point other color options are impossible to produce, could you make some in clear so we can get them tinted on our own?

Would really appreciate a response from PILK.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM
30vQuattro
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They said they're only producing 800... It's a miracle they're even producing these again... I can't imagine it's even worth it for them to produce such a little quantity of the bronze tinted ones, let alone if they were to invest even more time and money in different shades. Pilkington is a big company... They make glass for tons of cars and I'm sure bring in more than enough money to even bother with little projects like this. I think making clear one's is going to be the only option, if they haven't already made them all bronze.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant we just be happy they are making them?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is all true then it seems strange to produce them in bronze at all. It would probably be much cheaper for them to produce in the standard colors they use every day!

Just pointing out that there seems to be a fishy-Ness about the whole deal now that the questions have been asked.

If, as posted before, these are being produced "100% to original specs" then what are the advantages people have been raving about?

Makes no sense to have all original printing either!?!

Originally Posted by 30vQuattro
They said they're only producing 800... It's a miracle they're even producing these again... I can't imagine it's even worth it for them to produce such a little quantity of the bronze tinted ones, let alone if they were to invest even more time and money in different shades. Pilkington is a big company... They make glass for tons of cars and I'm sure bring in more than enough money to even bother with little projects like this. I think making clear one's is going to be the only option, if they haven't already made them all bronze.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Guys
I have to admit I feel like we are "Looking a gift horse in the mouth" so to speak....
I ( I think we ?) are not trying to pee on the parade...
Trust me when I say, I was, as I am sure others were /are very excited to actually see this happen.
This is a day, most of thought would never come !
It's just so sad that there has been so little communication between the company and Rennlist members ...
I even attempted to call them last week to ask some important questions ... and left a message ... never heard back ...
I think that is sad ..
It's kinda like a teen finding the perfect pair of jeans, and then finding out they only come in pink ! It's just a real bummer
Attempting to tint a bronze tinted glass, will do nothing about changing the outside appearance color of that said glass, only the interior.
Oh well ...
I will be getting one probably, even if was pink ...
its just sad to come all this way and ..... not make it right
I also guess that there has been nothing said about shipping multiples( from the same, area to one address, to save on shipping.....?
Regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Pikington will make saratoga tops Again