Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I forget, what about water cooling? My understanding is these turbos don't have coolant ports. Are there any issues running w/o coolant?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darud35
Geoff, when you say greater performance potential can you give an idea of what to expect vs the Garrett single scroll option?

Will I have a significant increase in peak power, where peak boost will be achieved, transient response, etc? If you can give some expectations vs the known dbb T3/T04E results: http://refresh951.com/Dyno.htm
First of all , are you running E85 ? Because that was used in the link you posted, if not , are you prepared to run racegas all the time or are you investing $700 in a Aquamist ?

The above turbo BB or not will get you to approx 350whp depending on dyno and spools well.....a T04E/50 trim coupled with a KKK hot housing will bolt right up and has been done countless times. The problem are the the KKK hothousings, no matter #6,8 or 10 they are very similar in size and of a ancient design. They do induce fast spool due to the large backpressure / high EGT's and are really only efficient up to around 18 psi, if you want to go up it will be a point of diminshing returns. All what you are going to get is a TQ increase, you will plateau HP and especially coupled with large cold sides they are laggier than s**t.

To answer your other question, yes you will see significant improvements with a modern turbo, billet wheels , efficient hot housings, twinscroll etc etc but you need boost to get them to shine.

Now to the expense..........a TO4E BB approx 1200-1400 depending where you go, should fabricate a 3'downpipe so another 100 or so with v bands......I do not know if the new BW will fit so you might need to fab a mount or modify it....200 for oildrain/feed lines.....321 v bands flanges merge collector (can make one DIY) another 350-400.......twin Tials 500........if you do the fab work you have already roughly 1100 in material right there and I am counting on that you are getting Bro deals not paying full retail plus the turbo vs 1500 max with the bolt on. That is the reson those threads with big turbo dreams hardly ever materialize.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Originally Posted by pole position
First of all , are you running E85 ? Because that was used in the link you posted, if not , are you prepared to run racegas all the time or are you investing $700 in a Aquamist ?
I still need to look into local E85. I haven't seen it at any gas stations. At 18psi I should be able run pump gas?

Originally Posted by pole position
Now to the expense..........a TO4E BB approx 1200-1400 depending where you go, should fabricate a 3'downpipe so another 100 or so with v bands......I do not know if the new BW will fit so you might need to fab a mount or modify it....200 for oildrain/feed lines.....321 v bands flanges merge collector (can make one DIY) another 350-400.......twin Tials 500........if you do the fab work you have already roughly 1100 in material right there and I am counting on that you are getting Bro deals not paying full retail plus the turbo vs 1500 max with the bolt on. That is the reson those threads with big turbo dreams hardly ever materialize
So a T04E will bolt right up to the stock location? Only difference is the downpipe?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

^
Yes, as long as you use a KKK hotside you are good to go.Don't need a downpipe , stock one bolts up but is not 3 inch.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Pole position, I really appreciate "the voice of reason". Is LR the only distributor currently to mate a KKK hotside?

If I recall correctly, the Garrett will work if you weld a T4 4-bolt flange up to the crossover?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh I'm fully aware that it is two separate nozzles hitting the wheel, with half of the exhaust volume.

Go ahead and sell these guys a 1.06 t4 twin scroll setup and get back to me. I'm pretty sure you won't have many happy customers.

My comparison was between the nozzle area of a t4 ts .48 and an open .82 t3.

Considering the exhaust energy is dramatically reduced with the extra distance I personally don't feel it is worth the effort over and above a well sorted properly sized t3 or t4.

Again, build one, install a large t4 twin scroll and prove me wrong.

These engines don't have the rpm capability to utilize much over .6 ts t4 IMO.

Until I see it done -on a 944t- it's a pipe dream.

Thanks for your time and insult, have a good day.

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
It seems you do not realize that twinscroll is literally (2) seperate scrolls. Try and think of each scroll like a nozzle on a water hose, spinning a pinwheel. In the case of singlescroll you have 1 hose spinning the pinwheel, in the case of the twinscroll you have 2 hoses (nozzles) spinning it. The A/R must not be thought of the same as (1) scroll a/r sizing. IE: a twinscroll 1.0 a/r is actually (2) x 0.5 A/R nozzles, spraying exhaust gas at the turbine wheel

again - this would be common knowledge for those who are familiar with twinscroll, but your particular platform has been dominated by singlescroll configs for a long time. Nothing wrong at all with a proper singlescroll setup, but the torque/midrange/powerband can not hold a candle to a properly constructed twinscroll performance

you can not have the same A/R for an accurate singlescroll vs twinscroll test, the singlescroll would be wayyyy too lazy and laggy at 1.06 a/r OR conversely the twinscroll would be way too restrictive at .63 a/r

the question you need to decide is whether you want something bolt-on: T3/T04E

OR

a fabrication intensive project with greater performance potential: twinscroll
Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know where you are getting your t4 housings from, but there is not a lot of difference between 1.06 T3 and T4 housings that are available these days, and certainly not a gigantic gap in performace.
Based on my experience I think T4 is the way to go in the future.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darud35
Pole position, I really appreciate "the voice of reason". Is LR the only distributor currently to mate a KKK hotside?

If I recall correctly, the Garrett will work if you weld a T4 4-bolt flange up to the crossover?
I believe LR is the only supplier now. Pauer Tuning can no longer get the KKK replica last I heard.

The TO4E is pretty much a direct bolt on with a few minor modification (bracket mods/TB spring mount/alternator shroud/Oil drain spacer). The turbo also requires minor oil and water plumbing.

Some have said that DBB is not necessary and it may not be. I liked the results Nize had posted a few years back. I did a lot of research and could not find any true side by side comparisons and my goal was 325 rwhp with as close to K26/6 spool as possible. For a few hundred extra dollars it was worth it to me to get as quick a spool as I could as my car is primarily a street car.

I am running the stock down pipe with a bursch test pipe. I am sure I would benefit some from a more free flowing exhaust but still I am very happy with the results.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

You can use a good used hotside core from a 26/6 or 8, for the # 10 Turbonetics has a small batch left of their replicas.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
jgrace
3rd Gear

Default 930

Any thoughts on a gt35 for a 930
Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by thingo
I don't know where you are getting your t4 housings from, but there is not a lot of difference between 1.06 T3 and T4 housings that are available these days, and certainly not a gigantic gap in performace.
Based on my experience I think T4 is the way to go in the future.
Directly from Garrett, I have a.96 t4, a .82 t3, .58 t4 open, .48 ts t4 and a few others. The .96 ts would hardly spool the turbo, it is huge. All are for p trim wheel.

Maybe there are different sizes? From what I have there is a huge difference between t3 and t4.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 PM
jgrace
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jgrace
Any thoughts on a gt35 for a 930
Need some help or advice
Just put one on my 930 having trouble running rich on boost and it doesn't boost until 4500 ish. I have adjustable wur but it seems not able to lean out enough
Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

So, what would be a garrett hotside equivalent to a turbonetics number 10 replica?
Anybody know?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 PM
blown 944
Race Car

I'd say just over .63 t3....Closer to .73 ar but hey what do I know...... I apperantly have a bunch of oddball hotsides.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Directly from Garrett, I have a.96 t4, a .82 t3, .58 t4 open, .48 ts t4 and a few others. The .96 ts would hardly spool the turbo, it is huge. All are for p trim wheel.

Maybe there are different sizes? From what I have there is a huge difference between t3 and t4.
I think the naming convention may have changed over time. The twin scroll housings I have seen for gt30 size turbos are not a lot different in size, and a/r is a/r.

Quick Reply: Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett