Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrace
Need some help or advice
Just put one on my 930 having trouble running rich on boost and it doesn't boost until 4500 ish. I have adjustable wur but it seems not able to lean out enough
You should be able to run a gt35 on a 930 with better spool than that. What are you doing for tuning? I would have thought there'd be plenty of info about this, but not in this particular forum. Search around, there should be plenty of info of modded 930's.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by thingo
I don't know where you are getting your t4 housings from, but there is not a lot of difference between 1.06 T3 and T4 housings that are available these days, and certainly not a gigantic gap in performace.
Based on my experience I think T4 is the way to go in the future.
Rod, do you mind me asking which A/R you chose for your 968T project?
I have looked at the pictures in your build thread but it's hard to tell from the pictures.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Rod, do you mind me asking which A/R you chose for your 968T project?
I have looked at the pictures in your build thread but it's hard to tell from the pictures.
It is a 1.06 T3 , there were not many options then, I am going to try that turbo on a 8 valve 3L now as it is pretty close fit to my old turbo but with a housing that shouldn't melt.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Thom
Race Car

Thanks!
I have been toying with the idea of implementing a TS set up on my 3.0 8V if I move to a GT35 so I will be following your progress with much interest.

Just to add some illustration to this thread here is a quick draw showing the differences in sizes between the T4 Divided and the T3 Divided turbine inlets.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Thom; 02-14-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that CATIA??

I think I'm going to order the turbo today.. I know Geoff really pushed the BW, but he's been a great resource on turbo information and provides excellent customer service! I definitely recommend Full-Race, as long as you know what you're getting into.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm now the owner of a HTA GT3076R Twin scroll T3 0,78AR which I plan on putting on the 2,5 to make everything work and then move over to a 3 litre project.

I'm however planning to try the Quick spool valve from Sound Performance instead of dual crossover all the way.
According to dynos the spool, torque and hp will come on earlier and with higher numbers.

What's the opinion on this setup?

Also when I measure the v-band outlet to downpipe it's about 2,7" or 66mm so should I use a 2,5" v-band flange or what?

/Peter
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 PM
AL951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peedster , that sounds very interesting. I think that is a good set up. I want to try a set up like yours. It's simpler than two pipes and I think will have better performance. I would like to follow your progress, Please keep us posted.

Regards,
AL
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Thom
Race Car

Darud35 : yes, V5 R19.

The QSV was discussed in older threads (eg here) and I too would be interested in some feedback.
Even if it makes miracles the price tag makes me wince when I see such a relatively simple hardware.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

A man of your technical expertise could knock one of these things out in a weekend I'm sure Thom!
An interesting concept. Wonder how well it works? Tempting to think of setting up a ts with all the extra room now.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
A man of your technical expertise could knock one of these things out in a weekend I'm sure Thom!
An interesting concept. Wonder how well it works? Tempting to think of setting up a ts with all the extra room now.
My crude setup worked great. Actually too good, I was seeing 10 psi at close to 2200 rpm and 25psi shortly after. I didn't have a good control mechanism in place though. With the clutch I had at the time it just accelerated the slippage. At the time we didn't have full 3d timing so the rapid boost increase took its toll on one connecting rod (bent). When driving in fifth it was always in boost (crappy fuel mileage)

Since I started using anti lag and now with this high compression I couldn't see using it. I'm already at a serious lack of traction.

With all that said, if I had the extra $$ (for the unit and a separate controller). This is the way id go.

Honestly, I could hardly imagine using it with a smaller dbb turbo. Car would probably feel like it had a bbc stuffed in there. Better get some spare tires!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Thom
Race Car

Sid, did you control it with a digital output (fully open or fully closed), or had you worked an analog signal to smoothen boost build up? Or manually with a cable going through the firewall and a lever on the dash?

Patrick, thanks for the kind comment, but I must say I'm looking at this kind of project on the very long term, already busy building a long ratio 6 speed gearbox at the moment.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Lol Thom,

The cable through the window would probably be the closest. I can't go into great detail right now for the lack of time, but I was just experimenting to see how quickly I could get a larger turbo to spool. I went through a few steps, such as

blocking off on entry completely, very quick spool but crazy crossover pressure

Adding spring steel reed valves of sorts tig welded so they would open under different pressures. I had a print shop at the time and I had some paper guides that worked perfectly.

Eventually the heat would hold them into a semi open position but for a time they would work. Again it was a test to see if it was worth pursuing.

I was planning on making a qsv and adding another analog controller similar to my hks but never got around to it.

Then I tried twin scroll, different hotsides and many other combos. Up to where I am now.

You could say I'm afraid of commitment :-). Plus I'm a cheap bastard so spending a lot of money on one setup doesn't appeal to me.

Like I said, with proper control, and the right hotside, this setup would work very well IMO.

I'm going for Max hp over spool now so currently it doesn't interest me but down the road I'm sure I'll build one. But, I don't think it will hold up to the anti lag do maybe not.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Peedster
Racer

It seems like a lot easier than dual pipes and dual wastegates if you're supposed to do it correct. Also the costs of those pipes and wastegates with flanges etc will probably be more than this setup with the QSV.

The QSV costs alot (500$) and could probably be done for alot less if someone have the tools... Anyone do..? ;-)

I'm just wondering about the space and in which direction the clock will be?

And I it possible to use their actuator to make the valve open t a certain boost?

Hoping to see really early spool with the GT30R this way even in the 2,5.

/Peter
Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Is your car RHD? If so it should have quite a bit of room to install it with the actuator pointing forward to stay away from the downpipe.

Iirc you can set the base pressure with the diaphragm similar to an internal wg turbo. It's been awhile since I looked at one. Josh has sold his

Yes I think it is less expensive especially if you were using two tials

With a 30r and that hotside you will probably sound like a VGT powestroke at idle.

I would monitor your crossover pressure and make sure your low rpm timing is dialed at high boost bc it will climb quickly. I'd also start with it to open as quick as possible and then tune it in. That is a small turbo to be trying this on!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Peedster
Racer

Car is LHD but I'm thinking if it's to tight around turbo you could always move it down and run dual pipes from under the car and the way up to turbo. This means a bit more plumbing but makes the QSV easier to locate also.

You think this turbo is small but for me it's huge only having it compared to a 26/6 :-)

What is VGT powerstroke...? And how does this sound?

Plan is not to boost more than 18psi initially and run it on E85 with M-Tune. Then when things are working maybe try it over 20.
So you think it will come alive fast?

/P

Quick Reply: Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett