Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 V8 with Boxter 986/911 996 ABS ----- DONE :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

My new car doesn't have ABS, and I flat spotted a tire at my 2nd event... ABS definitely has a place on the track.

Tony, are you finding that the ABS is helping you trailbrake - e.g. brake while turning all the way to the apex? Is that's what cut so much time off?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Sounds like an easy improvement for those of us with factory ABS. Personally, I haven't found the factory system completely worthless. I did do some tests originally with it disconnected, but although I was able to match my times with a bit of practise, I was never able to eliminate the occasional lockup and flat spotting race slicks is too expensive for me so I have continued to run with it.

This does sound like a real performance improvement though. What's the bet there is suddenly a shortage of 986 ABS pumps?
The bigger / stickier the tires are, the more worthless the 944 abs pump becomes.

It's just too slow to deactivate, and when it's active, the pressure to the wheels is just not very high and the pulses are not smooth and much slower in frequency in comparison to the new more modern Bosch 5 911/986 ABS pumps.

So while it's ok for a street car, on a race car with big rubber, it isn't. It's more of an annoyance than a benefit.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Van
My new car doesn't have ABS, and I flat spotted a tire at my 2nd event... ABS definitely has a place on the track.

Tony, are you finding that the ABS is helping you trailbrake - e.g. brake while turning all the way to the apex? Is that's what cut so much time off?
Good question.

I haven't had it on a track where there's any substantial trailbraking yet. I can't answer that question.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2012, 12:44 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
From a 1:28.8 ish to a 1:26.7 ish

It's very substantial.

The top super fact POC GT2 cars (highly prepared 996 cup cars/996GT3 cars with excellent drivers (quite a few professional)are turning from high 1:23's to an average of a mid 1:24's.

TonyG
Have you had anyone of the quicker drivers drive your car? It'd be fun to know how much of a difference there is between a highly prepared 944 and a highly prepared beetle.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the pump is wired for power only? There is no seperate ABS Controller needed as with the stock system?
That is correct.
So did i understood it correctly. Boxster ABS system does not have a separate ABS controller box ? Or do you use stock 951 ABS controller box?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by KSira
Have you had anyone of the quicker drivers drive your car? It'd be fun to know how much of a difference there is between a highly prepared 944 and a highly prepared beetle.
Not recently, but a few of them I've been racing against for many years in from shifter karts to cars. We're about the same speed.

One thing to note is that they are running slicks. I'm running NT01's.

Also, they have much larger brakes... that I'm about to fix with my full 996GT3 MK2 front/rear brake install :-)

So piece by piece... I'm getting closer. After I burn through all my NT01's I'm going to slicks as well.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
So did i understood it correctly. Boxster ABS system does not have a separate ABS controller box ? Or do you use stock 951 ABS controller box?
The boxter and 996 pumps that have 2 rows of pins on their electrical connectors can operate standalone without any controller boxes. But make sure that the electrical connectors only have 2 rows of pins. The pumps with 3 rows of pins cannot operate standalone.

I used a 986 pump ending in 00 (the last two digits of the part number).

TonyG
Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

OK, great, thanks Tony. Have such a pump available. I suppose this will make son's project 951's ABS installation even simpler task to do since Boxster unit is so much smaller.Most likely we will install unit under hood. I suppose we can easily use a bit modified non ABS brake lines.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Also you need to know how to wire the pump. While not magic, I didn't do it so I don't know the pin outs. Nor do I have the equipment to test the pump.

The guy that did it for me said he would sell anybody that wanted it, a wiring harness for the 2 row 986 Boxter pumps for $250. I'm presuming it would like like the one he did for me which has all of the twisted pairs coming out of the harness and labeled as to what goes where as well as a set of wires to run to an OBD2 female connector for diagnostic purposes. Furthermore, he has the factory Porsche software and hardware to test/diagnose the operation of the ABS pump.

If anybody is interested PM me and I'll forward you his email.

Otherwise, I guess if you find the schematic or have someone that has an understanding of how the pumps are wired you could do it yourself and save a few bucks.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2012, 01:06 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

OK, great, thanks Tony. Have such a pump available. I suppose this will make son's project 951's ABS installation even simpler task to do since Boxster unit is so much smaller.Most likely we will install unit under hood. I suppose we can easily use a bit modified non ABS brake lines.
You can use most of your existing brake lines.

The place to put the pump, if it's on a race car, would be where the stock battery is, then use a tiny Odyssee Harley battery for the car in front of the windshield where the A/C-Heat components used to be.

Then you could very easily intercept the factory non-abs brake lines with a minimal of effort.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Not recently, but a few of them I've been racing against for many years in from shifter karts to cars. We're about the same speed.

One thing to note is that they are running slicks. I'm running NT01's.

Also, they have much larger brakes... that I'm about to fix with my full 996GT3 MK2 front/rear brake install :-)

So piece by piece... I'm getting closer. After I burn through all my NT01's I'm going to slicks as well.

TonyG
Please keep us updated. I'd love it if a well sorted 944 could compete with modern 911 race cars. Considering the fact that Porsche has spent 40 yeas refining the same car and billions of $$ to make it as fast as modern 911 are, this would be quite embarrassing for the 911 drivers.

Slicks and proper brakes will get you there. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

You can use most of your existing brake lines.

The place to put the pump, if it's on a race car, would be where the stock battery is, then use a tiny Odyssee Harley battery for the car in front of the windshield where the A/C-Heat components used to be.

Then you could very easily intercept the factory non-abs brake lines with a minimal of effort.
We have most of th UK export model stuff available which allows to mount battery to rear, so original battery location is now empty....
Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KSira
Please keep us updated. I'd love it if a well sorted 944 could compete with modern 911 race cars. Considering the fact that Porsche has spent 40 yeas refining the same car and billions of $$ to make it as fast as modern 911 are, this would be quite embarrassing for the 911 drivers.

Slicks and proper brakes will get you there. Good luck!
And an LS6
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

We have most of th UK export model stuff available which allows to mount battery to rear, so original battery location is now empty....
I'd still run the Odysee Harley Davidson battery up front under the windsheild or up against the fire wall. You'll save a lot of weight in the large wiring that has to run the entire length of the car.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happen to have a complete ABS sytem from an 89 Turbo S for sale if anyone would like it. $250.00 plus shipping

Quick Reply: 951 V8 with Boxter 986/911 996 ABS ----- DONE :-)