Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil change from top

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:46 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I often wonder how many new people to the list throw up their hands in frustration and never come back from threads like this.

The man asked a simple question about whether anyone had any experience with a from the top oil extractor and instead got all this vitriol. Sad.

OP: I recently bought one of these but haven't used it yet. My plan is to use this method in the winter when I don't want to crawl around on a cold concrete floor and use the drain plug in the summer.

I did a fair amount of research and there are many who swear by the pump method (it's factory procedure for M-B apparently) and there are those that have concerns with sludge in the bottom of the oil pan not being drained. I figure if I do every other I'll be fine. I'm off the week of Christmas and am planning on changing the oil then, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers everyone and have fun with your cars.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it all the time on the boat engine. The pan sits an inch from the bottom and is in the bulge so any oil that leaks is really hard to get out without making a big mess. It is very common practice with boat shops and they would have many different pumps (manual, electric etc) to choose from.

I don't do it on the 944 because I put it on a lift to service it so everything is easy to get at.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:17 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by savantauto
Thanks for your opinions, but with all due respect the intent of my question was to see if anyone has used the "from the top" form of oil change, not debate weather dealing with ramps, jack stands, etc is a PITA.

A simple "I have no experience with this technique and can't offer any meaningful advice " would have been a more appropriate response.

Don't think I purchased the wrong car - just think I got responses (with the exception of one((thanks)) from the wrong audience.
Your premise was that "dealing with ramps, jack stands, etc. is a PIA," and you stated as such in the OP. Those responding in a manner you did not like were challenging your premise. There isn't much of a point in answering a question that is based on a false premise.

I don't have any experience with it, but I have been under the impression for some time that one can't get all of the oil out with a pump.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried the “pump on drill” method long time ago on another car, but found it a mess to store all the oily parts (pump and hoses) between oil changes and I didn’t have good control over where the suction tube ended up, meaning that there likely would be more residual oil using this method.

I actually find it very easy to change oil (without spilling a drop) on our cars and find it surprising that nobody has mentioned the same method I use (no crawling under the car):

Tools: oil drain container (for example
Amazon Amazon
), socket for plug, long extender w. wobble head, a regular long extended, a regular medium extender and a torque wrench (to make sure the drain plug can be removed easily).

Jack up the right side of the car, remove right front wheel, push the container under the plug, assemble the socket-extenders-wrench, unscrew the plug and let it drop on the mesh on top of the container.
While the oil is flowing a little less than in the beginning, carefully lower the jack so the chassis touches the container (oil pan tilting slightly to the right). When the flow is reduced to a few drops/min raise the jack high enough so the front wheel can be mounted, when oil stops dripping retrieve the plug, put it in the socket with the extenders and screw it in manually with the torque wrench detached. Trying to thread the plug with the wobbly extenders requires some skills/luck. Attach wrench, tighten plug, remove and cap container, mount front wheel, lower the jack and tighten lug nuts. That is it. Oh, yeah, don’t forget to refill with new oil.

Oil change this way just takes a little longer than writing this post.

Laust
Old 12-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I am confused.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil filter change is what torques me off, I have tried all the tricks, rags around filter, bag around filter, hole in top of filter ect......... still have to Simple Green and hose off oil drippings
Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Before I sit around for hours I will take it to Jiffy Lube.
Originally Posted by Black51
That seems like quite a waste of time for such a small job. It would be far more time efficient to just clean up spillage and be back on the road in an hour or less.
That's kinda why I phrased it in the manner I did, you know the part where I said
and have the ability to drain overnight

I have that luxury, as I'm sure others do. It works IF YOU HAVE THE TIME.

Thank. You.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savantauto
Thanks for your opinions, but with all due respect the intent of my question was to see if anyone has used the "from the top" form of oil change, not debate weather dealing with ramps, jack stands, etc is a PITA.

A simple "I have no experience with this technique and can't offer any meaningful advice " would have been a more appropriate response.

Don't think I purchased the wrong car - just think I got responses (with the exception of one((thanks)) from the wrong audience.
I'm sorry if you were offended, it's just that I come from the school of thought that says Do It The Right Way, Or Don't Do It At All.

There's the right way to change your oil, as specified in Porsche Workshop Manual, 944, Volume 1, Section 17-1, and then there's a bunch of other ways that add needless complexity, at the expense of incomplete and/or insufficient results.

I think all the responses that you did not agree with were trying to steer you in the direction you should have gone, for your and your car's benefit.

Asking for validation of something that the collective wisdom disagrees with is probably going to leave you frustrated, as we see here. Our advice is, again, to your benefit (perhaps at the expense of a bit of ribbing here and there) and you car's. Oil change time is not simply the time to get rid of old fluid, it's also the time to get close to parts of the car that aren't observed during daily operation. Parts that may be going bad, parts that if/when they do go bad can cause significant cost in dollars, time, and potentially health. So, while the front end is up in the air, and you're underneath removing the engine guards, look at your front end bushings, ball joints, brake lines, brake pads, a-arms, etc, etc, etc. Pumping the oil is just not going to give you the "oneness" that these cars DEMAND. They're old, some are tired, and they need TLC on a routine basis to keep on the road. Neglect at your own peril.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I would never use one of those "suck from the top" oil change devices. There are particles suspended in that liquid that I just don't see a vacuum pulling adequately out of the sump.

The only oil change for me is getting the car hot, draining it from the plug, replacing the filter, then filling the car back up.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
That's kinda why I phrased it in the manner I did, you know the part where I said .
Fair enough, not trying to start a fire.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

''Has anyone performed a DIY oil change on a 951 from the top with a pump?
Since it is a PITA to access the drain plug below, this from the top method seems compelling.

Thanks ''

No.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
That's kinda why I phrased it in the manner I did, you know the part where I said .

I have that luxury, as I'm sure others do. It works IF YOU HAVE THE TIME.

Thank. You.
CK, I'm with you. I let mine drain for a few days because I was waiting on an oil pressure sending unit, and it was not nearly as messy a job as normal.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick drain oil plug

http://www.race-mart.com/Engine-Oil-...gs_c_1133.html

Replace standard oil drain plug with one. Once you mate the two halves together it drains out. Theres a hose nipple so you can put a length of hose on it to drain into a bucket. Much simpler than messing with a vacuum to drain from the top or lifting the car up. I drive mine onto some thick pieces of wood (I never EVER use ramps), reach under to plug the drain part on, then change filter.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
Quick drain oil plug

http://www.race-mart.com/Engine-Oil-...gs_c_1133.html

Replace standard oil drain plug with one. Once you mate the two halves together it drains out. Theres a hose nipple so you can put a length of hose on it to drain into a bucket. Much simpler than messing with a vacuum to drain from the top or lifting the car up. I drive mine onto some thick pieces of wood (I never EVER use ramps), reach under to plug the drain part on, then change filter.
I purchased this many moons ago for my race 951 and found that while the threads were perfect, the external wrench lands interfered with the oil pan and wouldn't allow the male end to seat far enough into the drain. Have they been redesigned to allow it to fit without mods now?

I do have this very system on my Exploder and love the significant decrease in oil mess, but it is very slow draining...
Old 12-18-2011, 12:13 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

A friend of mine uses the vacuum from the top oil changer on his 968, he says he likes it.

I would never use such a device. IMHO it complicates a simple job, and adds the possibility of not getting all the oil (and crap) out of the pan.

Really, the drain plug is not hard to get to... Ramps and a 15mm socket. Don't forget the new crush washer. The filter is the hard part but there are some tricks.

Quick Reply: Oil change from top