Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Track plans for 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I will finally fit my rear wing next year which I have had sitting at home for a year or more. It's one built for the TVR Sagaris GT cars. Nice piece, but has very close together mounting posts which has caused me to scratch my head a bit for a mounting solution.

Will be interesting to see how it affects spring rates. I currently run 1200F/1100R which has worked well with race slicks and the smooth Dubai tracks, although even with the stiff front end it can still be a bit loose in the rear once tires go off. (see my avatar pic!) Be interesting to see how the wing changes the balance of things.

The hood vents on my car are still in the same place Pat. White by itself does look all squeeky clean, I know, but I hope it will look better when I get some colour on it! I planned it as a blank canvas to allow for any choice of colour scheme graphics to suit sponsors etc.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about something like this for the wing mount?

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/y...Porsche%20951/
Old 12-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Its an idea I have looked at, but I'm not a real fan of mounting to or through the rear panel. I don't like the look much plus the rules in a lot of categories require you to keep the wing within the confines of the existing body limits meaning the wing needs to be further forward. I'm thinking more of building a frame across the rear hatch space tied into the rear chassis rails to mount to. My rear floor is cutout and I have a cover panel over a gearbox cooler I need to be able to access, so I have limited mounting points on the floor.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

I don't really like that look either.

A wing off a GT3 Cup has the mounts close to the same spacing as the rear frame rails. Thats what I used and it makes it simple to go straight thru a lexan rear hatch to the rails.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Its an idea I have looked at, but I'm not a real fan of mounting to or through the rear panel. I don't like the look much plus the rules in a lot of categories require you to keep the wing within the confines of the existing body limits meaning the wing needs to be further forward. I'm thinking more of building a frame across the rear hatch space tied into the rear chassis rails to mount to. My rear floor is cutout and I have a cover panel over a gearbox cooler I need to be able to access, so I have limited mounting points on the floor.
This is how my setup works (built by Vision Motorsports).

There are two uprights in the hatch area that bolt down to the frame rails. These extend up and butt up to the lexan hatch.

The wing mounts to the 4 bolt bosses (2 on each upright) through the lexan hatch to the uprights which are bolted to the frame rails.

TonyG
Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Yes I know what you mean. Only problem is I didn't think about the wing mounting when I set up the gearbox cooler and pump. The cover pretty much takes the entire width of the floor behind the gearbox so I just need to make the frame with very wide floor mounts and narrow enough I can still remove the access panel on the floor with the wing off.

Another idea was just to weld in a braced flat panel across the top of the hatch opening at the rear sort of like below and mount the wing to that. The downforce would then be transferred into the chassis through the top of the hatch opening without the need for any attachments to the floor or rails. But I am undecided if the mouth of the hatch is strong enough to support a frame by itself?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks guys still trying to decide on the wing. There's a part of me that loves a stock looking 944 T kicking butt on all the crazy wing BMW's, but then there is the part of me that knows I will be faster with one.Since my motor is basiclly stock with a really good tune and exhaust I am under power for GTS-3 or over weight however you look at it.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I've only heard good things about the stock spoiler together with a big wing, and it should work in theory too.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Duke
I've only heard good things about the stock spoiler together with a big wing, and it should work in theory too.
Interesting. I was told the opposite, that the stock wing would disrupt the air flow.... to remove it. This from Vision when I bought my wing. It would seem to make sense.

Go figure.... I wonder if there is anybody here with wind tunnel experience, etc... we could ask.

TonyG
Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It shoulde be an easy enough question for an aerodynamacist to answer.

My thoughts (as an amateur) are as follows:
For a wing to work you need to accelerate the air under the wing since that will create a lower air pressure compared to the slower moving air above the wing.

Now the modelations I've seen show a very turbulent flow at the tip of a car. Using a spoiler, like the stock 951 spoiler, will direct the airflow upwards and will keep the airflow more stable and faster. This should increase the air velocity under a wing and hence give better downforce from the wing.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve113
Thanks guys still trying to decide on the wing. There's a part of me that loves a stock looking 944 T kicking butt on all the crazy wing BMW's, but then there is the part of me that knows I will be faster with one.Since my motor is basiclly stock with a really good tune and exhaust I am under power for GTS-3 or over weight however you look at it.
I've known a few folks who have put wings/big spoilers on cars (not all were 944's) in an effort to increase downforce only to ultimately remove them, as the increase in drag can't be overcome without elevating power.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Duke
It shoulde be an easy enough question for an aerodynamacist to answer.

My thoughts (as an amateur) are as follows:
For a wing to work you need to accelerate the air under the wing since that will create a lower air pressure compared to the slower moving air above the wing.

Now the modelations I've seen show a very turbulent flow at the tip of a car. Using a spoiler, like the stock 951 spoiler, will direct the airflow upwards and will keep the airflow more stable and faster. This should increase the air velocity under a wing and hence give better downforce from the wing.
Using this model (and the car is a similar shape, although not exact, to a 944), it's clear that anything under the wing disrupting air flow would substantially affect the wing's ability to produce down force.

The air needs to be smooth and close to both sides of the wing in order for the wing to work properly.

TonyG

Old 12-14-2011, 02:52 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

I think the wing height has a big influence on the effect of the rear spoiler. Daytona prototypes run a little gurney on the bodywork underneath the wing. For the 944, I think a little >1cm wicker on the edge of the hatch could help (especially combined with a rear diffuser) and not interfere with the wing too much.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I will possibly have to mount my wing something similar to the one on the Orange car, but will also need to mount it within the outline of the car (when viewed from above) as Steve mentions. I am not sure if the actual uprights need to be 'inboard' though? I was working on the premise of the elements only having to be inboard.

I regards to having a main wing working in conjunction with a smaller body mounted one, I was advised that this was a good idea by Simon McBeath (DJ Engineering) however he may not have been discussing the stock rubber sized one. The small snub tail thing that I have now may have been what he was looking at. In the not too distant future I will re confirm with him as we're getting closer to that point of mounting it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I will possibly have to mount my wing something similar to the one on the Orange car, but will also need to mount it within the outline of the car (when viewed from above) as Steve mentions. I am not sure if the actual uprights need to be 'inboard' though? I was working on the premise of the elements only having to be inboard.

I regards to having a main wing working in conjunction with a smaller body mounted one, I was advised that this was a good idea by Simon McBeath (DJ Engineering) however he may not have been discussing the stock rubber sized one. The small snub tail thing that I have now may have been what he was looking at. In the not too distant future I will re confirm with him as we're getting closer to that point of mounting it.
Like I said... anything that will cause the air to not flow close to, and smoothly around the wing is bad. The stock 951 wing (which is a misnomer since it's not a wing at all) is no exception.

Just look at the pro teams using factory bodied cars.

You won't see that on any of the AMLS BMW, Porsche, Chevrolet, teams... and yet every one of those cars runs a big wing on the back.

There's a reason for that.

And trust me... when you get a real wing on the car.... it will provide more than enough down force even at a very shallow angle.

TonyG

Quick Reply: Track plans for 2012?