Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Track plans for 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Porsche must be wrong... After all they put Mobil 1 in their engines...
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
See answer above....

TonyG
Great info Tony.
Makes me wonder why so many GT3 factory developed race cars run a spoiler.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Lol...actually even when they had M1 emblazoned across some of their racecar's flanks, they were using a straight 50w Shell-Oil....Even Porsche succumbed to the pull of the almighty dollar.

As for this wing/spoiler debate, I shall try and find an excerpt from my expert suggesting that a small lip below the main spoiler is ok or good. At least that's what I think he said. My gut tells me that the rubber spoiler on our cars would be counter-productive to a large wing though....and my gut is getting bigger the older I grow!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:45 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Lol...actually even when they had M1 emblazoned across some of their racecar's flanks, they were using a straight 50w Shell-Oil....Even Porsche succumbed to the pull of the almighty dollar.
That means NOTHING. All of that nonsense is routine. There's a Total sponsored F1 team that uses Shell, too. And next year, several teams may very well be running an oil not affiliated with any of them, from a sponsorship perspective (anyone in Europe, pay attention next month to what is introduced at Autosport).
Old 12-20-2011, 05:54 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Great info Tony.
Makes me wonder why so many GT3 factory developed race cars run a spoiler.
A couple of things...

I could ask but I don't want to wear out my welcome. But two things come to mind. A) the shape of the lip on the GT3 is not the same thing that's on the back of a 951 thus the air passing over it is affected differently. And B) they have two large air intakes "scoops" just before the lip, directly under the wing. These probably are creating some positive pressure. My guess would be that somehow the lip helps negate that effect.

Lastly... seems like a damn good place to bolt a wing onto.... :-)

Seriously though... the answer for our cars is that the factory spoiler will create positive pressure to some degree. And that that pressure is directly under the wing. The net result is that you have to run a larger angle of attack on the wing to compensate. That translates into more drag from the big wing in order to get the same lift (down force in this case).

The only remaining question would be to quantify this. And to do that you'd need a wind tunnel.

Considering his credentials (and the fact that whomever you ask has most likely used his very text books in college and as a continuing reference source), you should remove the stock wing if you're running a big wing.

TonyG
Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
That means NOTHING. All of that nonsense is routine. There's a Total sponsored F1 team that uses Shell, too. And next year, several teams may very well be running an oil not affiliated with any of them, from a sponsorship perspective (anyone in Europe, pay attention next month to what is introduced at Autosport).
Well it might mean nothing when you're an insider but to the general public it appears that you are using and extolling their advertised product.
To extrapolate. If I decided to change to M1 back about 10 years ago based on advertising and even what Porsche US put on their approved Oil lists and I just happened to spin a bearing or destroy an engine because they just decided to remove a fairly significant percentage of their ZDDP package without announcing this, who would I send my bill to for the repairs? That's correct...nobody else but me would be paying for this. So while you assert that this all means nothing I respectfully beg to differ. Porsche has aligned itself with M1 for years even though at times it wasn't the best option for us. Especially those with flat tappet engines.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
67King
Race Car

Well it might mean nothing when you're an insider but to the general public it appears that you are using and extolling their advertised product.
To extrapolate. If I decided to change to M1 back about 10 years ago based on advertising and even what Porsche US put on their approved Oil lists and I just happened to spin a bearing or destroy an engine because they just decided to remove a fairly significant percentage of their ZDDP package without announcing this, who would I send my bill to for the repairs? That's correct...nobody else but me would be paying for this. So while you assert that this all means nothing I respectfully beg to differ. Porsche has aligned itself with M1 for years even though at times it wasn't the best option for us. Especially those with flat tappet engines.
No, I apologize. I meant to say that what is on the side of the race car means nothing when you consider what they run. Sorry for the confusion!

BTW.....is Millers Oils available in Australia?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

....and my gut is getting bigger the older I grow!
In the States, we refer to that as ballast
Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
No, I apologize. I meant to say that what is on the side of the race car means nothing when you consider what they run. Sorry for the confusion!

BTW.....is Millers Oils available in Australia?
No offense taken at all. I was just making a point about advertising and Porsche. Also, re-reading my post, I wasn't implying that you were extolling M1.
I can't see Miller oils having a distributor down here, but there possibly is. Is this the company that you're working with Karl?

Originally Posted by Lemming
In the States, we refer to that as ballast
Seems like everyone who mentions their weight on this site is over 200lbs so that's a bit of ballast!!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 AM
67King
Race Car

I can't see Miller oils having a distributor down here, but there possibly is. Is this the company that you're working with Karl?
Yeah, Performance Racing Oils. We're the North American distributor.

Quick Reply: Track plans for 2012?