Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Track plans for 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 150 Posts

I have 800f/1100 rear with no rear bar and just the stock wing on a lexan . I need to go with a wing but want one thats easy to take off so I can run PCA stock class or SP3 as well if I wish. The car has just a little to much oversteer at track out. It feels ok on A6's but on R6's it needs a wing. Trying to decide
Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
I have 800f/1100 rear with no rear bar and just the stock wing on a lexan . I need to go with a wing but want one thats easy to take off so I can run PCA stock class or SP3 as well if I wish. The car has just a little to much oversteer at track out. It feels ok on A6's but on R6's it needs a wing. Trying to decide
Go down to 950 on the rear.

The wing won't do a thing until at least 110mph, fully working at over 125mph. Above that... the rear tires could be corded and the rear won't slide. BTW, I was told not to run the stock rear wing with the big wing as the stock wing disrupts the air flow over the big wing. I'm not even sure the stock rear wing does anything anyway....

My wing bolts through the lexan hatch. 4 allen bolts to the uprights below the hatch. takes me 2 min to remove.

TonyG
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Nice... until at 10:59 the back end comes around under trail braking...

What diff are you running?

That viper was making himself as wide as he could knowing that you weren't gonna stick it in fully :-), and that he could out power you down the straights.

TonyG
Lemming that ACR or ACR-X has insane brake if you can out brake him you are doing veryyyyy well
10:59 was a stupid mistake. When I finally got around the Viper I wanted to put as much distance between us as possible. I went into T1 faster than normal and didn't get off the brake in time.

Turbo S trans with stock LSD and cooler.

I was afraid to stick it to the viper, he cut me off to many times. In the morning race he put a good friend of mine into the grass (I have great video of it), and he put another friend into the grass in the tunnel turn (where he put me off). In contrast, the guy in the "motocar" and I played fair the entire race and it was fun racing with him.

I should be able to easily out brake an ACR-X with the weight difference.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Steve, I think Tony's wing would be good but not sure if they still make them? Kokeln isn't it Tony? Otherwise I'd have a look at this one from Scott Good. The front splitter looks good too. Ask Disasterman about those products.

http://www.goodaero.com/JSG/GOODAero.nsf/Products?Open
Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
These are all the changes that have been made for the 2012 season... all have been done or are being done now:

Custom chromo axles
AOR trans with S2 R&P (using existing Guard 50/80 diff)
Boxter 4 channel ABS
996 GT3 MK2 brakes, front & rear
New 951 non-M030 steering knuckles
Front custom brake ducts
Spec stage 3 clutch with aluminum flywheel and aluminum pressure plate and new throwout bearing
Up springs rates 100lbs front & rear
Rothsport quick release steering adapter & hub
Sparco steering wheel with push-to-talk
Futrul Motorsports F-16 cam with new Ti spring/retainer package
Pin balancer
ARP LS7 Rod bolts
Retune ECU & raise redline
short shift kit at trans
adjustable billet shifter

TonyG
We await your results with these mods Tony!!

Originally Posted by Dubai944
My car has been repainted white to freshen it up. Looks good, but I don't have any decent pics yet, only a few of it on it's way to Oz. Will be giving it the stripe treatment and some colour highlights.

As I seem to be one of the few people having continual success with racing a supercharged car I will take it a step further now that I am out of the power to weight restricted categories of Dubai and do some more custom mods and tuning to push the power up and see how far I can go before the turbo or V8 virus hits!

Might have to drop the spring rates before I hit the bumpy Aussie tracks as well.

I loved the old look of your car Steve, but the white does look really clean and factory like now. Did you move your hood vents in closer together and a bit further back? Or am I imagining that? Looking at video of Lakeside, you might be right on those spring rates. I've gone up to similar to yours. Hopefully the 'new' Eastern Creek will be ok with them. Wakefield, not so sure...

Originally Posted by Lemming
10:59 was a stupid mistake. When I finally got around the Viper I wanted to put as much distance between us as possible. I went into T1 faster than normal and didn't get off the brake in time.

I was afraid to stick it to the viper, he cut me off to many times. In the morning race he put a good friend of mine into the grass (I have great video of it), and he put another friend into the grass in the tunnel turn (where he put me off). In contrast, the guy in the "motocar" and I played fair the entire race and it was fun racing with him.

Tim, I watched that video last week and couldn't believe how that Viper was driving. Good to finally put him away.

That's great news how the pedal feels better now with an easy changeout. You had me slightly concerned that I was going to be pushing down on a block of wood there for a minute.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going try to stop making changes to my 944LS and just race it this year. I was reading all the brake mods with interest as I was very unhappy with my brake setup (hell, I couldn't even outbrake a viper at my last race http://vimeo.com/32426550 ) So, I dropped my front master cylinder from 3/4 to 5/8 for this past weekend and I think I'm good to go. Pedal is almost as easy as before with a booster Current set up is 5/8 front and 3/4 rear, running turbo S calipers in front and turbo front calipers in rears (DTC 70's front / 60's rear).
Gotta love it. Viper was faster in the straight but not much. Lowly 'ole 944 beating him down. Underdogs are awesome. Great job and good video. I enjoyed it.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:02 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

The mistake at 10:59 was small. So small that what happened should not have.

Go to a Guard 50/80 and it won't happen again. Ever.

You will never be able to trail brake effectively with a stock LSD.

The difference is night and day.

I deal with guys like the viper guy all the time. You have to go door-to-door so there's no where for him to go. If can chop down on you he will. You have to get up along side him. And the way you do that is under braking. Trail braking going into the turn where you are braking hard and turning at the same time. He left the door open every time. You just have to get the car setup so you can trail brake him into the turn... :-)

Get the diff and try disconnecting the rear sway bar. You'll be real surprised.

I couldn't get my car to spin like that if I tried (unless I hit something slippery on the track)... that's how planted my car is under braking.

TonyG

Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

I've spent enough money on my car for the moment, it's time to drive it. The proportioning on my DMC was all wrong, I could not lock the front wheels no matter how hard I tried with the old setup (that was on during that race). That also left me with too much rear brake. Gonna give the new brake setup some time. My t&t this past weekend suggest that it will work just fine.

Ok, I am going to spend money, but that's because my belts go out of date this month and I need knew ones. I also have to add a back brace to my FIA seat that is approaching 5 years. I also need new tires, but that's a never ending cost. I also have to send my R3 head and neck restraint in for recertification. The good news is that I got new ATE turbo S front rotors for $20/each via my worldpac hook up
Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Wow, I want ATE turbo S front rotors for $20 each! Hook me up!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docwyte
Wow, I want ATE turbo S front rotors for $20 each! Hook me up!
They were gone as of Friday. I got a couple of sets before they either sold out or caught the mistake. Went to get a few more sets while I was ordering some stuff for the wife's daily.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:40 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Bogus.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 67King
They were gone as of Friday. I got a couple of sets before they either sold out or caught the mistake. Went to get a few more sets while I was ordering some stuff for the wife's daily.
Yea, we checked today to get a few more but they are out.

Originally Posted by docwyte
Bogus.
I would have ordered more but wanted to make sure that they were ok, I couldn't believe that they were only 20 each. I got mine on Thursday and was off to the track on Friday, no time to order till this week and now they are out
Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Eric, where can I get info on the Bathurst event in Easter? I see PCQLD hasn't published any event details for 2012 yet. Is it true they have a lap time restriction for that event?
It was only publicised on the PCNSW web site. I think the registrations closed some time ago, but you can still put your name down for a reserve spot. As it is a regularity event and open to non-race cars, they set a fastest allowable time of 2:40. Some cars (eg cup cars) break the lap into 2 and run fast in one half of the lap and then fast in the other half the next lap to work out their splits and approx "real" lap time.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Plan A: World domination

Plan B: Beat a few M3s.

Plan C: Have a running car.

Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to do much to the car except get it back together but I still hope to be competitive in the ST class (10:1 pwr to weight) Maybe I'll do something crazy and put the N/A motor back in and do the Thunderhill 25 hour next year.

Video from this year:
http://youtu.be/K6pHQGX-HEM
Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 AM
goldminer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to replace my fuel pump and I want to buy a VBox to improve the nut behind the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Track plans for 2012?