Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

400 RWHP out of the 951

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah, BMW coolant, that's one of those smells that you can never forget. VW has some good non-phosphate non-whatever else German automakers don't like that may be a little less expensive than the BMW stuff.

Where'd you get an '03 xi for $1000? That is less than what E30 ix models go for!

Edit: Took me a little while to remember this link, but it may have some info regarding coolant types: http://donsnotes.com/home_garden/auto/antifreeze.html It's a good read in general if you are curious to the different types of coolants.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my printing business and am now working at a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc shop. I will probably end up buying the shop in a few years.

It needed a ps rack and pump. The lady decided she wanted another car. She left it there for a week then asked what she should do and I made her an offer. It runs great and she had spent well over 10k in the last two years replacing parts. Really great deal

Obviously the coolant doesn't cost me much.

Originally Posted by Scott H
Ah, BMW coolant, that's one of those smells that you can never forget. VW has some good non-phosphate non-whatever else German automakers don't like that may be a little less expensive than the BMW stuff.

Where'd you get an '03 xi for $1000? That is less than what E30 ix models go for!

Edit: Took me a little while to remember this link, but it may have some info regarding coolant types: http://donsnotes.com/home_garden/auto/antifreeze.html It's a good read in general if you are curious to the different types of coolants.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
It's not about boost levels, but cyinder pressures and these are related more to head flow not boost pressure.

If Sid would run such levels on 16v head, cylinder pressures would be much higher and that would cause issues.

And I can't stress enough, good tune is vital, no head gasket (or other engine component) can withstand bad tune for long, especially turbocharged engine.

Regarding my own project, at the moment I am again in confusion: whether to go twin smaller ball-bearing turbos (I have those in front of me, ~300 hp per turbo) or get HE341VE from a friend which is much more interesting to mess with and results will be incredible but it weighs quite a bit more (18 kg's vs 2x 3,2 kg of the twins) and requires much more work.

The twins would spool up very well and have effectively split-pulse design (1+4 to one turbo, 2+3 to other)....Decisions, decisions.....
Well it may be all about cylinder pressures but a lot of boost will give you high cylinder pressures, so, yes sure, the tune has to be very good...but there has always been headlift associated with running high boost. If it was merely detonation there would be clear signs each time we replace headgaskets. The top Superlap Time Attack cars down here were running 40psi+ and replacing headgaskets every night. Not pistons or blocks.

Your project does sound very interesting. Doing the twins would be amazing. I dare you!!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

3.0 litre engine, stay in the low to moderate range on boost. and the highest flow you can afford (don't tell wife).

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...-for-sale.html

Originally Posted by kasturbo

To answer a couple questions.. Mileage is 129k on the chasis, motor has less than 3k. The car dynoed at 387 rwhp at 17psi on a mustang dyno. On the way home we found a large boost leak. (so) It's easily over 400 if not 450. I'll see if I can find a digital copy to put up.
Originally Posted by Damian in NJ

Monster numbers, especially on a Mustang.

UPDATE;

unfortunately, it appears the car got loose and met it's demise...

rest in peace (the car). i guess the owner made it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...or-sale-2.html
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully in a few months I will be able to chime in on the difference in a 2.5 with a bunch of mods and high boost vs a 2.8.....which a bunch of mods and high boost. lol

2.8 stroker, with Super 75, Rogue tuned and 20psi.....

Quick Reply: 400 RWHP out of the 951