Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3" downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" downpipe

Can someone "enlighten" me as to some aspects of a 3" down pipe...

They seem priced high for the amount of material used and basic shape.

Has anyone done a DIY?

Are there any other sources other then LR, Fabspeed and Broadfoot?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

i have the LR 3 inch down pipe and yeah they are a good about of money i needed the down pipe for my turbo upgrade. it increases your exhuast flow quite a bit. if your running the stock turo i would just keep it stock
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

also for how much it is id put the money into somthing else unless u ahve everthing else and all you need you need is the 3 inc

J browns son
Old 11-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pressure drop from the turbo down-pipe stock vs 3" is approximately 1.5 psig (from turbo to test-pipe). 3" is what will fit here on relatively stock cars.

How much is 1.5 psig worth to you?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a local fabricator in Vancouver BC who custom made a 3" s/s dp for me. He had to build a jig using my stock dp, and the final price was cheaper than the SFR/LR alternatives. Fit was excellent. When I picked it up he suggested that additional dp's would be cheaper, as he now has the jig. It's a beautiful piece. I could probably dig up a photo or two. I got him to wrap it with header wrap, and I sprayed it with DEI silicone coating. I also installed a DEI turbine blanket, and underhood temps are WAY down.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
The pressure drop from the turbo down-pipe stock vs 3" is approximately 1.5 psig (from turbo to test-pipe). 3" is what will fit here on relatively stock cars.

How much is 1.5 psig worth to you?
Interesting.... thanks for the info

Originally Posted by IanM
I have a local fabricator in Vancouver BC who custom made a 3" s/s dp for me. He had to build a jig using my stock dp, and the final price was cheaper than the SFR/LR alternatives. Fit was excellent. When I picked it up he suggested that additional dp's would be cheaper, as he now has the jig. It's a beautiful piece. I could probably dig up a photo or two. I got him to wrap it with header wrap, and I sprayed it with DEI silicone coating. I also installed a DEI turbine blanket, and underhood temps are WAY down.
Love to see info on that
I have a stock downpipe that I hoped the flanges could be used in making a 3 inch DP but never went anywhere with it
Regards
Ed
Old 11-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a tube bender for pipes that big and some MIG\TIG skills "and equipment" those pipes should not cost more than 100$ to produce. The vendors have a insane markup on pipes that small look at exhaust for other cars ? They say to little demand to make them cheaper but cheaper would sell allot more.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:59 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IanM
Could you please PM me with his information. I would like to have one made as well. I'm sure others on this forum would jump on this deal if they came in at a reasonable price. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Adonay
If you have a tube bender for pipes that big and some MIG\TIG skills "and equipment" those pipes should not cost more than 100$ to produce. The vendors have a insane markup on pipes that small look at exhaust for other cars ? They say to little demand to make them cheaper but cheaper would sell allot more.
My thoughts exactly...once a jig is made, the materials and time to produce such a small part is minimal. I never want to short change anyone on their efforts to produce a needed product for retail sales but this one just seems too expensive for what it is. A full 3 " exhaust is only slightly more.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be interested in the info as well, both the down pipe and the heat reduction treatment. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

The shop is called RG Racing (http://www.racinggreed.com). The owner is Tommy, and the fabricator who built my 3" downpipe is Lowell. I'm out of town at the moment but will try to post some photos of the dp later.

As far as heat reduction goes, I am using a few different products made by DEI - the aluminized sheathing on my fuel lines, reference sensor lines and wires into my wideband O2 sensor, insulation wrap on my starter and passenger side motor mount (I'm running SFR Stg2 headers and had to lose the heat shield that protects the motor mount), silicone coating spray (I would never use header wrap without this), and a T3 turbine blanket. After installing the blanket, I couldn't believe how much cooler my intake manifold stayed. (http://www.designengineering.com/cat...cific-products)

I must say, other than very special items that require complex jigs like headers, I have found that good fabricators can usually do a better (and often cheaper) job of building custom pieces (like exhausts) than what you'll buy off the internet.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Ian,

Thank you for this information...pictures would be great too.

***To all others interested, I've already contacted Tommy to find out pricing for a group buy. When Ian posts pictures and Tommy replies with a price and commitment to produce them, I think we finally have a source for reasonably priced downpipes. I love it when a plan comes together!

I will keep everyone updated.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Ian,

Thank you for this information...pictures would be great too.

***To all others interested, I've already contacted Tommy to find out pricing for a group buy. When Ian posts pictures and Tommy replies with a price and commitment to produce them, I think we finally have a source for reasonably priced downpipes. I love it when a plan comes together!

I will keep everyone updated.
^^ awesome
Old 11-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

I'm interested as well.

/Dea
Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This will be a cool deal if it comes off. Maybe get the guy to fab up the front exhaust section also from the downpipe past the wastegate tie-in. It's a simple run from there to the back of the car that any muffler shop can do in a nice 3"
Old 11-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Originally Posted by gpr8er
This will be a cool deal if it comes off. Maybe get the guy to fab up the front exhaust section also from the downpipe past the wastegate tie-in. It's a simple run from there to the back of the car that any muffler shop can do in a nice 3"
Great idea!

/dea

Quick Reply: 3" downpipe