Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Should I take an AOR deal, or is it transmission rebuild time?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I take an AOR deal, or is it transmission rebuild time?

I've got a fair amount of lash in my transmission, I'm assuming from the ring and pinion. My local mechanic is keen to rebuild mine this winter, but it's not an AOR, and Lart has one on Ebay right now that he said he'd ship me for $1500, all-in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-89-9...item3a6bee87f8

That's almost certainly cheaper than the rebuild, and mine doesn't have the cooler. Thoughts? Could I re-shim the pinion myself without ruining it? The rest of my transmission is really good...
Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

see what the cost of the rebuild is...around here its ~$2000, but that gets you a fresh trans...you're saving $500 but getting gears, synchros and an LSD with 164k on them...

944online will do it for ~$1300 + s/h...http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...ssion-944turbo
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
see what the cost of the rebuild is...around here its ~$2000, but that gets you a fresh trans...you're saving $500 but getting gears, synchros and an LSD with 164k on them...
sheeez no more discount for Spencer, lol
Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
sheeez no more discount for Spencer, lol
lol i support you and your business wholeheartedly and 1500 shipped on an AOR is a good price, but my post was response to OP. for that expense id consider all options.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
lol i support you and your business wholeheartedly and 1500 shipped on an AOR is a good price, but my post was response to OP. for that expense id consider all options.
next time u need me I'll refer you to the best seller on ebay, Pre****sion Moron sports, here is your next atmospheric dump pipe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-951-...item230c8b38df
Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Ha!
Spencer, thanks for the tip. I'll ask my guy for a price on the rebuild. Does anyone know whether you can do the R&P without going all the way into the transmission? Mine only has about 70K miles on it, and everything is great, except the lash, so if I can save it cheaply, I will.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
next time u need me I'll refer you to the best seller on ebay, Pre****sion Moron sports, here is your next atmospheric dump pipe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-951-...item230c8b38df
Old 11-02-2011, 12:43 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I've got a fair amount of lash in my transmission, I'm assuming from the ring and pinion. My local mechanic is keen to rebuild mine this winter, but it's not an AOR, and Lart has one on Ebay right now that he said he'd ship me for $1500, all-in.

That's almost certainly cheaper than the rebuild, and mine doesn't have the cooler. Thoughts? Could I re-shim the pinion myself without ruining it? The rest of my transmission is really good...
If you have the ability to re-shim with correct tolerances, why not just rebuild your transmission yourself?

The rebuilt quote is fine, but if you need a new R&P, they must have decent used parts ready for your box. Know, you will still have a "used" transmission when they are done.

Any mods to your car creates heat, therefore getting a smoking deal on a 951 with a cooler is worthwile. When Lart states the used part is worthy, know it's fine.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An 89 trans from Lart for $1500....Pay him, and get that killer box in your car.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

What do you mean by "a fair amount of lash" in the transmission? A 70k trans should be in pretty good shape unless it has a ton of track/race miles or was run with little fluid in it.

No point in checking or reshimming the original factory R/P setup unless replacing or rebuilding something. Re-shimming the R/P would be needed if you replace the diff and pinion bearings. And yes, it requires complete disassembly.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

George, thanks for the input. I would love to do it myself, but I understand that it's tough to get the right shims.

Originally Posted by Oddjob
What do you mean by "a fair amount of lash" in the transmission?
Specifically, if I jack one side up and turn the drive wheel, I can turn it +20 degrees and -20 degrees or so before the transmission stops me. It feels like a lot of rotation.

No point in checking or reshimming the original factory R/P setup unless replacing or rebuilding something. Re-shimming the R/P would be needed if you replace the diff and pinion bearings. And yes, it requires complete disassembly.
Okay, I was worried about that, but hopeful that the R/P could be done without opening the transmission. I'll talk to my mechanic, today.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Specifically, if I jack one side up and turn the drive wheel, I can turn it +20 degrees and -20 degrees or so before the transmission stops me. It feels like a lot of rotation.
That has nothing to do w/ the R/P backlash and preload. Are you getting any unusually loud whine or rattling when driving?

There is always some "take-up" in the drive line. Not sure I have ever measured or taken note of how much is typical. Open diff or LSD, checked when in neutral or in gear?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

If Lart knows it's a good box, and you don't have an LSD, and/or you are making any extra power, the AOR is nice...
Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

That has nothing to do w/ the R/P backlash and preload. Are you getting any unusually loud whine or rattling when driving?

There is always some "take-up" in the drive line. Not sure I have ever measured or taken note of how much is typical. Open diff or LSD, checked when in neutral or in gear?
Very little noise while driving, just a slight rattling noise when I really get on it. I'm not sure that's the transmission, though. The lash noise happens when I lift and the car pushes against the drive line, though. Does this sound like the clutch, instead of R/P?

I checked the play while parked in first gear by jacking up the driver's side. It's a factory LSD Turbo transmission without cooler. The LSD is gripping well, for what it's worth.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could be trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I take an AOR deal, or is it transmission rebuild time?