Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Nasty spinning noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty spinning noise on startup

About once every 20 times I start my car I get this weird spinning noise that lasts for just a few seconds after the car is started. It sounds like a pulley or something is stuck and starts spinning up. Sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment. It's hard to figure out what it is because it only happens once in a while. I also get a strange noise after I shut my AC off. Like it's not turning the compressor, but the belt isn't really spinning freely either. Possibly related.

Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be a loose PS or AC belt, they can squeal a bit until they warm up if a little loose
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you get a video or maybe a sound clip?

Does it make this noise upon start up with the a/c on or off? or both?

I would start by checking the belt tension, make sure the tensioners aren't broken, make sure none of the pulleys are misaligned, and if all looks good, check the compressor to see if the inner part of the pulley will turn by hand or if it's completely locked up.

Seems like this would be the initial easy stuff to check, and then you can go from there if you don't find anything wrong.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the history on all your rollers, just being safe? Sounds like will would be a belt
Old 10-19-2011, 01:41 PM
kinglenario
Racer

I'll check the belts and pulley's. It sounds like a bearing not a belt squeal. In a pulley or on the compressor. Whatever it is it sounds like it's frozen up for a second then it spins. Could that possibly be the turbo?

belts, all rollers and waterpump changed within 10k miles. probably going to do it again next spring just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Can you get a video or maybe a sound clip?

Does it make this noise upon start up with the a/c on or off? or both?

I would start by checking the belt tension, make sure the tensioners aren't broken, make sure none of the pulleys are misaligned, and if all looks good, check the compressor to see if the inner part of the pulley will turn by hand or if it's completely locked up.

Seems like this would be the initial easy stuff to check, and then you can go from there if you don't find anything wrong.
thanks for your input! it happens only with the AC off as far as i know. i almost never start my car with the ac on. but the car does make a similar 'whine' if i have been running the AC and shut it off. it never whines while the AC is on, but once i shut it off is when it happens. but that only happens when i have been running the AC for a long time if that makes any sense.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

listen to your starter during start up , .. also how old is your clutch disc and is it the original style disc?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
kinglenario
Racer

i don't think it's the starter. definitely not the clutch. clutch is the spring type.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got piles of starters around if you want to swap it out. That is what it sounds like to me.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Cool, thanks for the offer Josh! I'll see if it gets worse. It's about once every 20 starts right now.

Quick Reply: Nasty spinning noise on startup