Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Very low temp.. especially while freeway cruising

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very low temp.. especially while freeway cruising

I know this sounds odd to be concerned with, but my car really seems to run cooler than it should.

When driving around town and sitting at stoplights for short periods, the needle on the gauge usually sits about half-way between the second mark and the center point between the 2nd and 3rd marks. If I let it idle for a good while in the driveway, it will eventually reach the half-way point and occasionally a bit above before the fans kick on. But what seems really concerning is that when I'm cruising on the freeway, the needle just hovers around the 2nd mark... it never gets more than a needle-width above it, and is either covering it or at least touching it most of the time. That's not normal, is it?

It's been a few years, but I really seem to remember the gauge on my old NA sitting pretty much perfectly in the middle of the gauge almost all of the time.

What do you guys think?

TIA!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not driving an NA anymore. My 89 does the same thing, providing I'm not flogging it, it's getting colder out, and I have definitely seen the needle be down a bit from the normal spot.

It sounds like your fans are working as designed, and the needed does seem to get up where it should be in traffic. Oil pressure is good? Oil weight reasonable for the weather? I believe you are up on all your grounds, etc.

Worst case, whip out your laser thermometer (Amazon) and see what the head is... =)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

How's the heat? Could be a stuck open thermostat.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds fine to me. The 2nd white line is approx 80 degree C, the 3rd one is 100 degree C, top one is 115. IIRC should normally run at 80-90.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The first white line (I don’t count any marks that are not inside the usual gauge range!) is 80c – that is where your thermostat should open. On a car that has a cooling system operating in very good condition the needle should stay at this position as long as there is air moving over the radiator (driving over 25mph). This is true even for highly modified engines.
If you are driving slow or at idle the temps will go up until the fan(s) come on. The first fan comes on at about the mid point There is some difference here because the gauge is measuring head temps and the fan switch is using radiator temps). If the gauge gets top the upper white mark both fans should be on at full speed. This is nto that uncommon if you have been driving at speed and then stop in traffic for a while.

If it goes over the second white line then you really need to take a look at your cooling system – radiator, water pump and thermostat. Something isn’t working well!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good information! Mine typically sits between the first and second line, more towards to bottom/first line while cruising.

If sitting in traffic for a short while, it'll creep up between #2 and # 3. If sitting/idling for an extended time, it'll creep all the way to # 3.

During last winter, I rarely had any heat in the car if the outside temp was below freezing while cruising either in town or on the highway.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
How's the heat? Could be a stuck open thermostat.
The heat is fine... as in, it will become uncomfortably hot very quickly...

Originally Posted by Chris White
The first white line (I don’t count any marks that are not inside the usual gauge range!) is 80c – that is where your thermostat should open. On a car that has a cooling system operating in very good condition the needle should stay at this position as long as there is air moving over the radiator (driving over 25mph). This is true even for highly modified engines.
If you are driving slow or at idle the temps will go up until the fan(s) come on. The first fan comes on at about the mid point There is some difference here because the gauge is measuring head temps and the fan switch is using radiator temps). If the gauge gets top the upper white mark both fans should be on at full speed. This is nto that uncommon if you have been driving at speed and then stop in traffic for a while.

If it goes over the second white line then you really need to take a look at your cooling system – radiator, water pump and thermostat. Something isn’t working well!
Thanks, Chris! That makes me feel better. Mine behaves pretty much exactly as you say it should then... and it never gets above the 3rd (or 2nd, if you only count marks within the operating range) mark. It just seemed low to me, but it has been chilly and if it's nothing to worry about, I'll stop worrying!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check to see if you even have a thermostat in the car?

I have 3 951's, all with the same oem cooling system and fluids, nothing out of the ordinary. However one of them has no thermostat, and it runs extremely cool all the time. It sounds to me like your thermostat could be stuck open or you may just not have one at all...

Definitely a better problem to have then your car getting too hot!!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

yep...your in good shape! Mine does the same and i have referenced the temps vs. gauge using Clarks garage
Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I replaced the primary coolant t-stat with a 160 degree one soon after I bought the car and did the pump & belts. When I did my major rebuild this year, I replaced the turbo t-stat and the oil t-stat, so they are all new now. My car runs at the lower-third mark pretty much all the time unless it's really hot and I'm stuck in traffic.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racerxrick
yep...your in good shape! Mine does the same and i have referenced the temps vs. gauge using Clarks garage
Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I replaced the primary coolant t-stat with a 160 degree one soon after I bought the car and did the pump & belts. When I did my major rebuild this year, I replaced the turbo t-stat and the oil t-stat, so they are all new now. My car runs at the lower-third mark pretty much all the time unless it's really hot and I'm stuck in traffic.
Thanks guys! It just seemed odd to me, but I guess it's fairly normal so I'll quit worrying about it
Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey, quit worrying about it!

Quick Reply: Very low temp.. especially while freeway cruising