Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cutting out under full throttle, not the usual

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 10:49 PM
gtracer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post cutting out under full throttle, not the usual

88 turbo, just put on a new 26-8, autority chips,lindsey wastegate with 3 mm shim, new vaccum hoses everywhere, rising rate fuel press regulator at 3 bar. and new cycling valve.
under partial throttle runs to redline smooth,however did not notice my autometer guage showing much boost. In full throttle it cuts out a couple of times hard, around 4200, but will get past it and accelerate hard, spikes at 18psi, then runs 15-16. It is not the usual wastegate or cycling valve, vaccum problem...is it a fuel problem(stock injectors new), or could I have been sent the wrong chips (ie for an 88 but not with the turbo S turbo)...any advice to diagnose is appreciated...
Old 04-19-2003, 11:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you get the dual port wastegate or the clubgate? IF you got the dual port why are you still running the cycling valve? Get a MBC and get rid of it. How do you have it plumbed?

The chips should be 28 pin, not 24 as with 86 & 87 cars. Some early 88s received 24 pin but the rest got 28 pin DME I believe, but maybe...not a fan of APE chips, there is a difference in the turbo S.

Have you noticed any black smoke behind the car when it cuts out? I would turn the fuel pressure down to 42psi with the vaccum hose off, then put the vaccum hose on; then run the car. If that doesn't work I think you have a boost leak, double check all your lines, especially the intercooler hose(s) with extra care on the ones turbo to intercooler, especially if your spiking to 18,,,do you still have the original hoses? Good luck
Old 04-19-2003, 11:14 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have an a/f gauge?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:28 PM
gtracer
Advanced

Adrial...yes have an A\F guage, but the transition was so fast I did not notice anything..

Ski...good advice, the chips are 24 pin, needed to be programmed for the 26-8...I will try to turn down the fuel press reg...did not pay attention if I have black smoke, but will check, I have the stock pipes and hoses, all were off and put back on, but will check again,the wastegate is a club gate.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:05 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
It's possible that it might be the KLR pulling back timing as it detects knock. Figure out what's causing the problem, or risk serious damage to the engine.

Few things to try, and see if problem goes away:

* Lower boost.
* Richen the mixture by adjusting the fuel pressure, and see if it helps.
* Set the Fuel Quality Switch in the DME to get 3% more fuel and to retard the timing by 3%. If the problem goes away or not as bad, you know it's knock.

BE CAREFUL.. The RPM where the problems occurs concerns me, I've seen it before with the chips you are running.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:20 AM
gtracer
Advanced

fast 951 thank you for the advice...I will do these things...how do I set the fuel quality switch in the DME...the fuel in the car by the way is a mix of 91 and 110.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:30 AM
coolhand
Racer

gtracer, I know there's a site that tells how to adjust the fuel quality switch, I'm sure womeone esle will post it, I can't remember it now.

Whereabouts in CO are you?
Old 04-20-2003, 09:39 AM
gtracer
Advanced

coolhand, I am in Grand Junction...just thinking at this elevation should have less problems with knock, and the 18psi on the guage would be more like 16 up here. the cutting out is quite violent, but it accelerates quickly and cleanly afterwards...
Old 04-20-2003, 09:54 AM
gtracer
Advanced

found the website for adjusting the fuel quality switch...but Danno is saying there is no appreciable performance benefit. In my case this car has 91+110 fuel in it 2/3 91 and 1/3 110. and at 4500 feet. so I have a feeling it is something else. maybe the chips? any others run into this transition with Autothority chips??? and what do you do...

Quick Reply: cutting out under full throttle, not the usual