Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil in belt housing and surrounding area

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003 | 08:13 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Post Oil in belt housing and surrounding area

Finally put my car back together. Just to sum up, up the head, cam housing, intake manifold and ccmplete top end on. I used a different cam pulley housing unit supplied by SFR. After running the car for 30 mins on the stands, decided to take it for a spin. Came back, everything was working great but noticed that the front of the engine was dripping oil. Pulled the car back in and put it back on stands.
Do you guys think a seal is missing between the cam housing and the cam pulley housing? That is the only area I can think of that could possibly leak. The timing belt is soaked in oil but the balance shaft belt is dry. Also of note was the fact that oil had made its way around the belt covers and onto the surrounding areas and underneath the car. From looking at some diagrams, there is a plug in the back of the pulley hosuing that I don't remember seeing on the new housing. Is this whats causing the leak?
Ofcourse as luck would have it, stripped the cheesehead bolt that holds the pulley to housing. This should be fun to drill. I only wish to make it to Herhsey, lets see if it happens.
Raj
Old 04-20-2003 | 10:42 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Raj, sorry to hear 'bout your oil leak.. seems like you've had some pretty sh!!ty luck with your head stud and all.

I've got a quick question for you about your engine. I'm in the process of building up a 968 short block with a 2.7 head like you.. can you tell me which pistons you ended up using??? or how you ended up with an acceptable compression ratio??

Sorry about the off topic reply - had to ask

Vic
Old 04-20-2003 | 10:49 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Not a problem, send me an email offline and I would be more than glad to answer any questions you have.
I think in the long run, I was better off with the stud problem as I have timecerts in all 10 stud locations which are much stronger and I can swap studs without any fear.
Regards.
Raj

Quick Reply: Oil in belt housing and surrounding area