1988 Turbo S for Sale - asking moon money~

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Turbo S for Sale - asking moon money~

Good evening everyone,

After much deliberation and restless nights, due to financial strain I am going to have to part ways with my 951. I am definitely not parting ways forever but without going into further explanation right now it is the best thing to do. I actually have a line on an S2 which would make a good temporary daily driver... Anyway after doing the math I can see why more of these cars get parted out then restored, unfortunatly I love my car but need the money.

I will probably part it out since I won't likely get the moon money I will ask for the whole car But would like to put it out there anyway as I would like to see the car go to a new owner who can afford to complete the restoration I have started. If there is no interest in the whole car I will start another thread to part it out but for now here are the details...

Asking price $17,500 - I know, I know... but it's worth even more in parts so it is what it is, no need for snide comments. Trades + cash also considered.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S, 85K miles - 2nd owner, I found the car with 72,500 miles
Original window sticker with lots of records - $49,626 in 1988!
Stone Grey Metallic Exterior
Tan Leather Interior
K26/8 Turbo, MO30 Suspension etc.
996TT Wheels & original Turbo S wheels

The Bad:
REBUILT TITLE due to very minor damage from previous owner, will be glad to explain if you are serious.
Oil leak @ oil pan gasket
Control arms need to be replaced
Sunroof lift arms are broken and motor needs to be reconnected.
Both sets of wheels need tires
Rear Torsion bars/suspension could use a refresh
Dent on front passenger quarter panel - not from accident, previous owners dropped a ladder on it in their garage...
Dent on hood - outward facing due to hood being closed on intercooler pipe
Few other dents/blemishes...

Ok now for the good stuff! Interior is in excellent condition with only a few imperfections and a few small cracks on the dash in the standard areas. All of the following work was done within the last 3 years/12,000 miles and most of the engine work done within the last 2,500 miles:

Cylinder head rebuilt, New Intake Valves, Valve Guides & Seals, Titanium Retainers, Radiused Valves, Milled, ported and port matched to intake
Wide Fire Headgasket Installed
Entire top end of engine taken apart and resealed, Balance Shafts, Oil Cooler, only gasket not replaced was the oil pan gasket.
Many new sensors, water temp etc.
New water pump, Timing belt and balance shaft belt and rollers, accessory belts
Many hoses/vacuum lines replaced - 0 vacuum leaks.
New Motor Mounts
Fuel injectors cleaned and flow matched
New Spark Plugs, Plug Wires, Distributor cap etc.
New Throttle Position Sensor
New Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
New Adjustable billet bypass valve
Custom 3" exhaust + original exhaust
New Lindsey Racing Boost Enhancer
New Lindsey Racing LR Max Custom Chips (stock chips included)
New Lindsey Racing Blue Silicon Cooling Hose kit w/ heater hoses
New Lindsey Racing Blue Silicon Intake Boot
New Coolant afterrun pump
Cam Tower Powdercoated
Intake manifold coated with thermal resistant finish
New Power Steering Res. and New Lines
New Clutch Master Cylinder
New Clutch Slave Cylinder
New Clutch Hose
New Kennedy Engineered Performance Aluminum Pressure Plate
New 911 Turbo Clutch disc
Flywheel lightened and balanced by approx 7 lbs.
New Throwout Bearing, Clevis rod, needle bearings etc.
Transmission inspected and rebuilt with new Syncros, Swepco 203
New front and rear Brake Rotors, Pads etc.
New Tie Rod ends

Interior is in very good condition with only a few small blemishes, I will be glad to provide pictures of the interior if you are interested.

A/C works good and is cold, heat works great too.

I am certain there is more than this but that covers most of it, feel free to message me or post any questions you have here and i'll be glad to answer them.

Many pictures of the car and restoration project available on my Facebook page here : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...cb6338f&type=1

Thanks
John
Attached Images     
Old 10-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Car looks great and has a great list of things done to it! With today's market and where 951 stand, I think you are high on the price. You MIGHT make more on parting but even that I don't see close to your $17,500. Good luck on your sale.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:11 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

very nice car and glad you saved it
Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 PM
bimmen325
Racer

Your car looks nice, But with a salvage title your asking for way to much.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, but I didn't list it as "bargain of the century", I said "asking moon money". As I said I am aware that I am asking alot for the car, but would rather put it out there in hopes of finding the right owner then to gut the thing and chop it up.

The car was run over a curb which is why it has a salvage title, to get it back on the road I basically installed a radiator, a/c condensor and refinished the front bumper so it was pretty minor damage and is even listed that way in the Carfax I got for it.

I really don't wanna sell it but I have to, I would appreciate it if everyone on here didn't remind me I am asking too much for it, I know I am, thanks.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:44 PM
bimmen325
Racer

Sorry, it does look nice though.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I LOVE the color! If I got back into a 944 Turbo that is the EXACT color I would want!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:29 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I would really like to find it a new owner. The price is not set in stone by any means as I would hate to see it get parted out. 1 of only 51 made in Stone Grey Metallic, one of the rarer colors on Turbo S.

Sigh.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Finally found my old Flickr account with all of the pics from when I got the car and restored it as my old hard drive had crashed. Don't mind the pics of me and my cat

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7643884@N03/

Will take $15,000 for the whole car but can't do less as I'll just part it out, thanks.
Attached Images    
Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that's a nice car.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I wish you nothing but luck selling your car, but I'd be lucky to get 20 for even my car. Salvage title doesn't help either. If you need it gone any time soon, you will have to drop your price. I know you said not to say you were selling for too much, but come on. Let's be a little realistic here.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 PM
tomee
AutoX

Could you wait until this event?

http://themille.com/paidevents/porsche-mille-2011

and try to sell it then? one of 51 made in that color, so there's probably, maybe (guessing here....) 20 left? Might get someone's interest.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:05 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

I totally respect the position that you are in, in terms of not wanting to sell but needing to sell. I also understand the difficulty of looking at the subtotal of all of the parts/costs that ultimately get put into ones passion for their car. Neither of these realities are easy pills to swallow.
That said you are trying to find someone that has the very same feelings about your car as you do, which is an impossibility. Today's market for used love affairs is really really bad and as you've stated in your own post, " you know you're asking too much money"

You've made the effort to post your car, for sale, in one of the most informative P-car websites. You don't have to take everyone's opinion, but your going to get it, good or bad.

Good luck with sale.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

How fast are you looking to sell your car?
Old 10-02-2011, 01:40 PM
2bridges
Drifting

I am sure you are aware the "1 of only 51 made in Stone Grey Metallic, one of the rarer colors on Turbo S" really does not mean anything with a salvage title and repaint. The collecatability is completely lost on a salvage title.... Sad but true.

Your car, ask what you want....... the worst that happens is it won't sell.
I won't comment on your pricing or what I think the car is worth unless you ask. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 1988 Turbo S for Sale - asking moon money~