Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Did some more testing yesterday. Amongst other things we found that by increasing the angle of the 2nd smaller vane on the rear wing we gained top speed down the main straight! Riddle me this?
since everything is upside down in Australia maybe the airfoil section of the wing is working in reverse....
Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

So Paul,
how do you think your car would perform relative to Sean's? While yours is a dedicated 8 valve track car & Sean's is 16 valve road monster pushing the extreme end of the dual-pupose 951 continuum - it would be an interesting exercise to see how the various trade-offs even out.

I'd imagine you'd have a grip advantage on the same tyres - but it would be an intriguing comparison.

You've got the rigidity of a caged car with some serious aero- v the suspension compliance & low drag of Sean's tuned road car.

It would be great to see you guys get your cars together to video a trackday & compare notes.

Tim
Old 10-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

...Paul...I mean Patrick ...too many P-names around here & I'm suffering from Friday-itis!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

We will actually be on the track at the same time in 3 weekend's time Tim. Hope to get some video then.

To be fair, I have a LOT more time and money invested into my car and it should be faster. Sean's car is amazing to be so quick for is basically a stock weight (if not heavier?) car. Sean can drive very well too which doesn't hurt. He will probably be faster than me at the moment as I'm very rusty and very conscious of getting it to the track in one piece in a couple of weeks. Too much has gone into it to this point that if I came off the track and damaged it would be very hard to cope with. But if the same person drives both cars mine should definitely be quicker at the moment. It's many hundreds of pounds lighter. Sean will possibly make some more changes or perhaps draw the line on this one and build a dedicated car (which I think is a great idea). Then perhaps we can compare apples for apples. Hope that happens oneday. :-)

Last edited by 333pg333; 11-05-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
since everything is upside down in Australia maybe the airfoil section of the wing is working in reverse....
Actually the wing is extremely impressive. Both in construction and efficiency. I'd imagine you would be familiar with Racecar Engineering Chris? It was designed by one of the monthly contributors in that magazine. Don't think he's in there for the gossip column.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Patrick - I've no doubt that your car will be considerably quicker than Sean's but it will be interesting to see the delta between a highly evolved road car (one which is sufficiently powerful to struggle to get its power down even on slicks) & a beautifully developed track version with it implicit lack of compromises.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

There won't be a huge chasm between them over a lap but, yes, it would be good to compare corner and straight line speeds which we can do. Might do a bit of a comparo after the next event just for fun.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I know this car has had saturation coverage and had to think before posting but I guess it’s worthy of another one. Apologies to those that are over it!

Got it covered in a local car mag down here. (No, it’s not a Mazda magazine!) Got a nice article and the ‘Centrefold’ too.
As it’s taken some time to finally hit the stands there has been some changes already to how it appears in the article. Gone are the ‘busy’ dive planes and we’ve also cut away at the rocker panels.

Another recent article on the Time Attack website.
http://www.worldtimeattack.com/index...nues-to-amaze/

This was all done very recently and haven’t tidied it up yet. More to come as we’ve had a 2 day consultation with a well-known US Aerodynamicist, the aptly named Andrew Brilliant. Very interesting stuff indeed. Amazing how some seemingly insignificant changes can create big gains in downforce. We are going to nip away at the changes over the year with the WTAC 2014 being the objective. At the end of the main straight in the event in 2013 he calculated our car was showing over 1000kgs downforce on the rear while we had -90kgs lift at the front! Yikes! Makes me shudder thinking about that considering the little incident I had in 2012! He was actually highly surprised that we even got the times we did under such circumstances. So the whole emphasis is on increasing frontal downforce for this year. This will be achieved through changes made to the splitter, end plates, rockers, fenders and some more venting on the hood. To achieve some of this we will actually shorten the radiator at the base, remove the large air to oil cooler and convert to water to oil and move the enclosed air filter higher. This will allow us to create an actual working or active splitter with diffusers that will create a lot more downforce than our current slab of wood. He is confident that we can improve our laptimes significantly. Even with the minor changes we were able to do some improved times 2 weekends ago at Wakefield Park which is a short, tight track. Car also feels a lot more alive with the smaller more efficient GTX3582 and a change in fuel. Hopefully some more improvements are not too far away.

Not a great video but it certainly looks faster up the hill and along the back straight. Was a fun day as I am starting to get more comfortable in the car again. Managed a 1.02.9 myself which was a 4 second improvement from the last time I was at this track. Paul was super close to breaking into the 59 sec barrier which carrys some kudos. He did a 60:00.7 and was showing 59.6 on the predictive timer with 2 corners to go. We had a few minor glitches at the end of the day which prevented us going out again which was a shame. The bolt in our RH engine mount broke and Paul suddenly had some interesting steering changes! Something to aim for next time though.

Attached Images   
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Patrick - I would not worry about "over coverage". This car is worthy of all the coverage it can get. Congratulations on the great results. The work you and Paul have done is amazing. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Patrick - I would not worry about "over coverage". This car is worthy of all the coverage it can get. Congratulations on the great results. The work you and Paul have done is amazing. Thanks for sharing!
Agreed ! I love reading about this car
Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Congratulations Patrick you are one of my two favorite, Aussies
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

You'd know this but you car is all over instagram and facebook!! I'm forever geting tagged in all the photos

Is that you operating the camera? the fella sounds Kiwi
Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Been a trip so far! Me no Kiwi Paulyy! I don't really know much about Instagram. Linky?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't really know much about Instagram. Linky?
http://instagram.com/

It's an app for sharing/editing photos, used mostly by hipsters to take pictures of their food. They then add a sepia hue to the image to make it "artsy." Though there's some good stuff on there too

Car's looking/sounding great. Definitely worthy of all the press it's been getting.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Been a trip so far! Me no Kiwi Paulyy! I don't really know much about Instagram. Linky?
http://instagram.com/

If you've got an iphone or andoid. You're suppose to use it on a phone. You can use the desktop to look through your newsfeed but with a phone you can search tags ect.

Your friend Sean has Instagram too
Good time killer if you're following the right people

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)