Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tconn
A bit lighter than not, more choice with rotors (slotted are hard to find for Big Reds), supposedly better pad wear.

Depends what you actually want from your car and where you see yourself heading? The ability to datalog and have everything available at the touch of a button to scroll through is great. Stock gauges are fine also on a road car. btw I have a Racelogic setup for sale that I ran for a short while that allows you to have both. $1200 new, I'd sell it for $799 ex postage. It's not been used much at all.
http://www.race-technology.com/dl1_d...e_8_15176.html

I don't like having gauges spread all over to monitor everything
I want to monitor. Your setup looks like it would be a much cleaner solution to multiple gauges plus the benifit of being able to datalog.
Well it's certainly a way of achieving that. Perhaps a bit drastic for most applications although that's strictly up to you of course. That's why I mentioned the Race Tech display. Even though you can't read it clearly in the video, you can see what I mean by being able to have the best of both worlds.
You could mount it like I did, or to the side somewhere. Not as comprehensive as the Motec unit, but clearly not priced in the same stratosphere either.
Not trying to oversell the unit I have for sale, just saying. It's just sitting here doing nothing if anyone wants it.

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Amen. Hallelujah.

And one of the reasons I stripped the car down was to build a cage. It accelerated so fast, there weren't may straight I couldn't accelerate to past 100mph before I hit a corner. I was NOT feeling very safe.

VERY nice patrick. well done. I see the black in all the other pics. BUT I asked someone here at home what color that one pic was, and they said a deep chrome green. So.. were both taking crazy pills maybe!?

You are sooooo close to driving this thing. can you taste it? I'm salivating all over my car everyday just dying to start her up and go straighten out the curves.
We did a BMW / Porsche club challenge a week or so ago. 3 BMWs were involved in accidents. One of them a pretty bad roll where they had to load the car on the towtruck upside down as it was mashed pretty badly. Some of our cars are much quicker than this one so I feel it's time to get safer. With the cage, harness, HANS, and now a lot more headroom from the non sunroof conversion, it feels like there is a lot more margin to walk away from a bad one.

Not sure which pic you're thinking of Bruce, but the car is Black, Black, Black. Actually I'm very happy with the paintjob considering it was cheap for around these parts....well cheap-ish...

As for getting back in the car soon...I guess it's not too far off being driveable. The DJ Engineering wing has arrived so that will take some work to figure and fab it to the car. Want to lean it back a bit, but am a bit concerned about too much understeer / lift as it can provide a ton of downforce. We're going to run some ride height sensors to do some data logging of the aero and suspension.
It will be very similar to the wing shown here in a local Beefy R34. I'm not looking at going up to such a large splitter...I hope!!!
Attached Images   
Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well it's certainly a way of achieving that. Perhaps a bit drastic for most applications although that's strictly up to you of course. That's why I mentioned the Race Tech display. Even though you can't read it clearly in the video, you can see what I mean by being able to have the best of both worlds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdeIEAvm84
You could mount it like I did, or to the side somewhere. Not as comprehensive as the Motec unit, but clearly not priced in the same stratosphere either.
Not trying to oversell the unit I have for sale, just saying. It's just sitting here doing nothing if anyone wants it.

We did a BMW / Porsche club challenge a week or so ago. 3 BMWs were involved in accidents. One of them a pretty bad roll where they had to load the car on the towtruck upside down as it was mashed pretty badly. Some of our cars are much quicker than this one so I feel it's time to get safer. With the cage, harness, HANS, and now a lot more headroom from the non sunroof conversion, it feels like there is a lot more margin to walk away from a bad one.

Not sure which pic you're thinking of Bruce, but the car is Black, Black, Black. Actually I'm very happy with the paintjob considering it was cheap for around these parts....well cheap-ish...

As for getting back in the car soon...I guess it's not too far off being driveable. The DJ Engineering wing has arrived so that will take some work to figure and fab it to the car. Want to lean it back a bit, but am a bit concerned about too much understeer / lift as it can provide a ton of downforce. We're going to run some ride height sensors to do some data logging of the aero and suspension.
It will be very similar to the wing shown here in a local Beefy R34. I'm not looking at going up to such a large splitter...I hope!!!
That's a LOT of wing and it's a double element to top it off. No wonder the handling concerns.

I think it's too much personally (way way too much)... for a number of reasons.

That wing would only be worth it on tracks where you need huge rear stick at 75-90mph. Past that it's gonna be a giant parachute what will for sure cause the car to push.

TonyG
Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Patrick: I entirely meant to ask about you're nose piece when I was up there a few weeks back but weather was moving in and it slipped my mind in the rush to get back on the road. I got to about Saint Augustine when I said "FXCK! I knew I forgot something!" Have you been able to contact either Albert or Kelli recently?

Besides that, it's looking great! That is going to be one hell of a car when you're done. What am I saying? It already is!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
That's a LOT of wing and it's a double element to top it off. No wonder the handling concerns.

I think it's too much personally (way way too much)... for a number of reasons.

That wing would only be worth it on tracks where you need huge rear stick at 75-90mph. Past that it's gonna be a giant parachute what will for sure cause the car to push.

TonyG
The wing will be configurable in single and dual phase. Also we can mount it further forwards or backwards depending on the struts we make.

Originally Posted by Scott H
Patrick: I entirely meant to ask about you're nose piece when I was up there a few weeks back but weather was moving in and it slipped my mind in the rush to get back on the road. I got to about Saint Augustine when I said "FXCK! I knew I forgot something!" Have you been able to contact either Albert or Kelli recently?

Besides that, it's looking great! That is going to be one hell of a car when you're done. What am I saying? It already is!
Bit of a shame but thanks for the thought Scott. As far as contact goes, no luck. Not since June. I've left dozens of either emails or phone messages to no avail. Dealing with vendors / builders can be tricky at times and that's being generous. Being half way across the globe doesn't help.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Patrick

2 things.

1: I had the same brace under the car as you. I cut it back back on each side so I could take out more of the spare tire well. The sides of the cuts on each side have a flat plate welded in (on the horizontal plan).

I must be losing my mind because I completely forgot doing that mod when I cut the spare tire well out.l

2: I haven't got a pic of the front end of my car because it's still on the lift with no front wheels.. but here's a side pic at a track event last year where you can see how the 315 front tires sit in relation to the fender.

Note the wing angle. This is not normal and was only turned up because this was a flat slow speed track and I was trying to get a bit more rear bite because it had been wet earlier in the day.

Normally the wing side plates are about flat.

TonyG

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Wow, I can't believe how you can squeeze those 315s under there so cleanly compared to mine!! From memory you're running wider front f/g fenders, yes? Are they GT racing? Still I guess I must be leaving a bit on the table due to offset.

Yes, I thought looking at that pic of the underside of your car it looked like some aftermarket fabbing had taken place. Thanks for the confirmation. Could be that the wheel well area usage is temporary on mine.
Eventually I want to work on a flat bottom setup with diffuser.

Noted on the wing. We will run ride height sensors and obviously have to play around a bit. If you're interested, I asked questions on Pelican about aero. Got some interesting answers.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-out-aero.html

Btw, what clutch / pp are you running?

Is that a 997 Cup next to yours and do you run against that level of car?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H

Oh, Btw, I got an email from Kelli Broadfoot today asking for my shipping address. So I guess word got through. As I said to her, I wasn't wanting to come across as an impatient ***-hat. Just wanted some communication is all. Seems to be a rare commodity for us Ozzie customers of many items.....
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Wow, I can't believe how you can squeeze those 315s under there so cleanly compared to mine!! From memory you're running wider front f/g fenders, yes? Are they GT racing? Still I guess I must be leaving a bit on the table due to offset.

Yes, I thought looking at that pic of the underside of your car it looked like some aftermarket fabbing had taken place. Thanks for the confirmation. Could be that the wheel well area usage is temporary on mine.

Noted on the wing. We will run ride height sensors and obviously have to play around a bit. If you're interested, I asked questions on Pelican about aero. Got some interesting answers.

The fenders are 1" wider than stock and are from AIR. They fit "OK".

But even without the 1" wider fenders... you can see the tires would still fit.

The front runs typically between -2 & -2.5 degrees negative camber.

The wheels are factory 9" Cup2 wheels, widened 2" on the inside, then spaced out 3/8" in the front and 1" in the rear.

The rear fenders are stock but pulled out using a fender roller. No other mods to the rear fenders.

The rears run the same between -2 & -2.5 degrees negative camber.

So yeah... if you're tricky, you can fit them in but you have to know the setup.... or go wide body and just push things out.

TonyG
Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC, Tony is running 17 inch wheels, not 18's, that can make a bit of difference in fitment.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by azbanks
IIRC, Tony is running 17 inch wheels, not 18's, that can make a bit of difference in fitment.
the front rims are 11" wide.

The tires are 12" wide (at the tread) FWIW.

TonyG
Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

My fronts are 10.5" but 18". Wouldn't have thought 18" is a problem though as the OD is about the same.
Even with stock fenders you would think that the GT2 flares would be large enough and cover about the same as yours from the front angle? I'm really curious just how much space I have on the inside. Car is in another shop getting the body wired. I'll have to check once we can get it up on the hoist again.

The rears are very tight too. That's with 320/645 slicks on there. I wanted to lower the car a bit but it's not looking possible.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

My fronts are 10.5" but 18". Wouldn't have thought 18" is a problem though as the OD is about the same.
Even with stock fenders you would think that the GT2 flares would be large enough and cover about the same as yours from the front angle? I'm really curious just how much space I have on the inside. Car is in another shop getting the body wired. I'll have to check once we can get it up on the hoist again.

The rears are very tight too. That's with 320/645 slicks on there. I wanted to lower the car a bit but it's not looking possible.
Get the car on the rack and look at the rim-to-strut clearance.

I use short springs and angle the struts away from the wheel so I can get extra clearance.

Even with the struts angled as far from the wheels as possible, I can still easily get about -2.75 negative camber in the front with the camber plates.

TonyG
Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yep. We normally run more like -3.5 on the front but it's all going to be a bit of a compromise between ride height, camber (AND castor), plus aero.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is looking very impressive Patrick!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Well this car is going to be amazing Pat. I can't wait to see you blast past me next season. Good luck finalizing the build, it's going to be a weapon mate.

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)