Andrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 3.0 bar

I am interested in the 3.0 bar regulator. this is what i have:

87 951
Autority chips
shims

Currently i have the DME set to the first position and was interested in the cycle info that has been talked about. If the DME was set to the 0 position and i had a 3bar would the DME compensate for the added pressure and lower the duty cycle? or is this more like a hope i get it in the range. I don't race the car and my only concern is to get the car to run at the apropriate Air/fuel ratio....

i don't want to have the car run lean/rich if i can help it... what is the best way to ensure optimum levels?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you don't need a 3.0 Bar FPR in you car

Konstantin
Old 02-18-2002, 11:09 PM
aka 951
Pro

Unless your chips are burned for 3 bar, it (3bar regulator) may affect the driveability of your car. Nevertheless its safer to run the 3 bar if you go over 15 psi.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:17 PM
aka 951
Pro

In short you don't want the DME trying to compensate for anything. Bigger injectors, 3 bar regulator, increased timing, etc. They all present driveability issues (some more apparent than others). Stick with the components and settings the chip manufacturer reccomends. If you ever get a chance to look at some Motronic code you'll know exactly why. While you can get big and reliable hp out of all sorts of mods with FPR, dual port, big turbo, etc, the driveability (hot,cold, low boost, high boost, etc.) will never be as good as the factory set-up unless you ahve a proper set of chips burned for those mods.

A good example of tinkering showed up in Sport Compact Car recently where a guy rigged all sorts of mods onto his MR2 for the USCC (Ultimate Sports Car Challenge). While the engine management (basically stock) adjusted for the compenents under closed loop mode, the adjustments (such as duty cycle, etc.) were slow and the car had one of the worst emissions results (its all of a 1.6L too). Bet the drivability also stunk. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:41 AM
Andrew
Instructor

are glowing exhast manifolds a sign of lean running? i had glowing exhast when the DME was at 0 position and not as much now at the 1 position. (3% richer) will i have to really go have it tuned for the standard chip and shim setup? I hope not.

Are the Autority chips burned for the 2.5 bar or 3.0 bar? these chips came with a banjo bolt but the WG was shimed by the factory!! (for high altitude, i presume. Albequerque to San Jose)

Thanks
Old 02-19-2002, 07:12 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Autothority chips are programmed for an ALL STOCK car. That is stock turbo, air-cleaner, exhaust, FPR, etc. There's so many variables involved that it can really be a nightmare making chips for every possible known configuration of upgraded parts, much less unknown parts in the future.

The guys at Authority did the best they could with the only known variables they can control. Then they tweak just one thing, the boost, up from stock up to 1-bar using the stock turbo. Their fuel-mapping is for this particular configuration of parts only. This means a K26/6 turbo with its dropping boost-curve at high-RPM.

This is partially the reason so many people have problems with high-RPM leanness on upgraded cars. They've installed upgrades that don't match the flow-pattern that Autothority programmed the chips for. In particular is the turbo used. A higher-flow aftermarket turbo will be able to hold max boost to redline, but the chips are programmed for a turbo that drops to 10psi at redline, so you end up with a lean condition up top. Hence Erick's note on custom chips that fit your particular configuration.

Are you using the Autothority restricted banjo bolt? Combined with a shimmed wastegate, you're probably running over 14psi of boost, so a 3-bar FPR might be a good safety measure.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:33 AM
txhedg
Racer

Exclamation

FYI, glowing exhausts may mean a collapsed cat converter or dual walled pipe...a common prob in these cars
Old 02-19-2002, 03:35 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine glows all the time, I think it's perfectly normal after a couple of hard full-throttle runs.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:37 PM
Andrew
Instructor

I am just running with the shims and the banjo bolt is in my tool box. (i don't like the concept design) anyway, on the stock guage (adjusted to sea level) i build about one bar and verified this with a presure guage once 13-14psi.

If glowing manifolds are normal on hard runs should i set my DME back to the standard position?

Quick Reply: 3.0 bar