Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Faint fuel smell at rear of rail/near FPR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok as for that little elbow line connecting your rail to the damper - just ditch the whole damper for now and run the line straight to the rail. The damper just takes out some of the "shock" in the fuel system from the injectors opening and closing (and pressure going up and down from the injectors.) You can run without the damper for the time being just to keep the investigation moving along.

And that sucks about the rail mount holes. I did the same thing on mine. Stripped one of the holes out. Instead of tapping/helicoiling it I bought a used manifold off a friend of mine. Got it home and... that one was stripped too! Argh! I just drilled/tapped it for the next size. Works. Though I like the stud idea... might dig out my original manifold and do that.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's all better now... I ran the pump for probably about 20mins once I got the new jumper line installed and the rail bolted down and... no leaks I can find, and I can't find any smell of fuel...

I had my room mate smell it too, and he said he couldn't smell any either... even had another buddy over and asked him to smell it and he says no too.

Ran the car for a while with both of them around and none of us could smell anything.

I guess that means it's all better. I'm pretty happy about that, but I guess I'm kind of expecting the other shoe to fall... I hope it doesn't!

I wish I could point to one thing I did and say, definitively, that it had been the culprit causing the smell... but I can't really. I mean, I replaced the fuel lines (just the rubber, re-used the fittings), pulled all the injectors out of the rail and inspected the o-rings (nothing wrong with any of them), had my rail powder coated while I had it off (spilled fuel destroyed my previous paint job), put it all back together, then the newly-rebuilt jumper line exploded, pulled it all off again and replaced the jumper line with OEM, and put it all back together again... so, it could have been the fuel lines, it could have been that jumper line (I know, this sounds like the obvious answer, but I swear, there was absolutely no smell at or near that line), or maybe an injector o-ring that wasn't seated properly? I don't know... one of the things I did seems to have fixed it...

Maybe it was the neighbor's cat... he stopped running around in the tank... he must have gotten that damn bunny. I told him he could come out now, but he didn't. He's probably sleeping.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
I think it's all better now... I ran the pump for probably about 20mins once I got the new jumper line installed and the rail bolted down and... no leaks I can find, and I can't find any smell of fuel...

I had my room mate smell it too, and he said he couldn't smell any either... even had another buddy over and asked him to smell it and he says no too.

Ran the car for a while with both of them around and none of us could smell anything.

I guess that means it's all better. I'm pretty happy about that, but I guess I'm kind of expecting the other shoe to fall... I hope it doesn't!

I wish I could point to one thing I did and say, definitively, that it had been the culprit causing the smell... but I can't really. I mean, I replaced the fuel lines (just the rubber, re-used the fittings), pulled all the injectors out of the rail and inspected the o-rings (nothing wrong with any of them), had my rail powder coated while I had it off (spilled fuel destroyed my previous paint job), put it all back together, then the newly-rebuilt jumper line exploded, pulled it all off again and replaced the jumper line with OEM, and put it all back together again... so, it could have been the fuel lines, it could have been that jumper line (I know, this sounds like the obvious answer, but I swear, there was absolutely no smell at or near that line), or maybe an injector o-ring that wasn't seated properly? I don't know... one of the things I did seems to have fixed it...

Maybe it was the neighbor's cat... he stopped running around in the tank... he must have gotten that damn bunny. I told him he could come out now, but he didn't. He's probably sleeping.
Break out the Bong !!
Time to celebrate
Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Woo hoo!!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Sweet, sweet victory.

Sometimes (especially with these cars) you just smile and nod and go about your day. Start asking "why" and you just wind up uncovering more problems.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Break out the Bong !!
Time to celebrate
Celebrations are surely in order!

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Woo hoo!!
Woo hoo indeed!

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Sweet, sweet victory.

Sometimes (especially with these cars) you just smile and nod and go about your day. Start asking "why" and you just wind up uncovering more problems.
Definitely! I can consume hours/days/weeks/years/lifetimes with "tinkering" for no real reason... I have to stop myself, or else life passes by without my knowing. It's kinda why I spent so much time/energy making my underhood look good... these aren't exactly cars you can go too long without opening the hood... I figured that if it looked good under there, I was less likely to find little "projects" every time I check my oil level
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome to see Dave...

Now start driving her!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Awesome to see Dave...

Now start driving her!
That's the plan!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If your car smells like fuel there is a real risk that it will catch fire and burn to the ground while sitting at a stoplight. If it does not smell like fuel now you should be very happy.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PEvans
If your car smells like fuel there is a real risk that it will catch fire and burn to the ground while sitting at a stoplight. If it does not smell like fuel now you should be very happy.
I can't smell any fuel under hood. Just to be safe though, there will be a fire extinguisher in the car at all times from now on

Quick Reply: Faint fuel smell at rear of rail/near FPR?