Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Faint fuel smell at rear of rail/near FPR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:13 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I might have another rail you can try, but I was not able to remove the damper. And I have another one that the damper was bad on. Thankfully Joel came to the rescue with one that worked. Let me know if you want to try them, but I make no guarantees they work!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, Ed... I guess me and my 951 will spend some time in the dark together

Alex, I may take you up on that offer... let me see if I can find the leak with the dye first...
Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you replace the lines? Do they still smell like fuel?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
Ditto
Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Is there a dye that can be added to fuel to find leaks like they do with freon? Just thinking out loud...

Edit: answered my own question... Wonder if a local auto parts store would have this? Probably a pro-type shop like Napa.

http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Product.../dp/B000JFHNTM
Yeeks....
I told ya I didnt read the entire thread....
Sorry Matt ... he already suggested that... Great call though ...
Great minds think alike
Old 09-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azbanks
I haven't replaced the lines yet... I've been troubleshooting with Travis @ Rennbay for a while now and we're both trying to find the source... It's really hard to tell whether the smell is coming from or sticking to the lines, but...

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Yeeks....
I told ya I didnt read the entire thread....
Sorry Matt ... he already suggested that... Great call though ...
Great minds think alike
Yeah, Matt recommended that a while ago. I should have listened then, I guess... So, I went and bought the glasses and the IR light and the dye today, stuffed the dye into the tank and ran the pump for about 15-20mins... then I closed my garage, turned off the lights and very closely examined every inch of my fuel system... and, I can't find any freakin' leaks!! But it still smells!! WTH?!?!?

So, either, there some magical, dish-soap resistant residual fuel somewhere that is still sitting around and stinking after a week and a half, or there's some mutant fluorescent-dye-eating bunny living in my gas tank.... Or something else that makes more sense, but is completely evading me.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crackership
I haven't replaced the lines yet... I've been troubleshooting with Travis @ Rennbay for a while now and we're both trying to find the source... It's really hard to tell whether the smell is coming from or sticking to the lines, but...

Yeah, Matt recommended that a while ago. I should have listened then, I guess... So, I went and bought the glasses and the IR light and the dye today, stuffed the dye into the tank and ran the pump for about 15-20mins... then I closed my garage, turned off the lights and very closely examined every inch of my fuel system... and, I can't find any freakin' leaks!! But it still smells!! WTH?!?!?

So, either, there some magical, dish-soap resistant residual fuel somewhere that is still sitting around and stinking after a week and a half, or there's some mutant fluorescent-dye-eating bunny living in my gas tank.... Or something else that makes more sense, but is completely evading me.
My money is on the Bunny...
Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
My money is on the Bunny...
How do I f'ing kill a mutant bunny??
Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do I f'ing kill a mutant bunny??
Holy Hand Grenade, duh
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
Holy Hand Grenade, duh
Of course! How could I have missed that?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
Holy Hand Grenade, duh
AAhh yes
But remember to follow the instructions carefully as to how to lob it !! Very Key
Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
AAhh yes
But remember to follow the instructions carefully as to how to lob it !! Very Key
Weird... the instructions I have don't say anything about how to lob it... but it does say that if you don't pull the pin with your teeth while wearing a red head-band and doing the best Rambo impression you can muster, the grenade will just turn mutant bunnies into dinosaurs... it says to be extra careful though, cause there's no telling what kind of dinosaur it will turn into, and it could be one that likes to eat people.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Weird... the instructions I have don't say anything about how to lob it... but it does say that if you don't pull the pin with your teeth while wearing a red head-band and doing the best Rambo impression you can muster, the grenade will just turn mutant bunnies into dinosaurs... it says to be extra careful though, cause there's no telling what kind of dinosaur it will turn into, and it could be one that likes to eat people.
Here ya go.. 80% of the time these instructions work every time!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

So, on a tip I got from a local 951 guy, I just went and wrapped all of the injectors, and all the connections at the damper, rail, FPR, fittings in the fender well and the entire length of the new fuel lines in folded up paper towels and then ran the fuel pump for about 15mins. Then I pulled each paper towel off, one by one and felt them, smelled them and inspected them with the IR light for the dye... Nothing, nowhere, no wetness, no smell, no dye, nothing... but it still smells
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

So, on a tip I got from a local 951 guy, I just went and wrapped all of the injectors, and all the connections at the damper, rail, FPR, fittings in the fender well and the entire length of the new fuel lines in folded up paper towels and then ran the fuel pump for about 15mins. Then I pulled each paper towel off, one by one and felt them, smelled them and inspected them with the IR light for the dye... Nothing, nowhere, no wetness, no smell, no dye, nothing... but it still smells
I have a local 951 guy here... but I'm not sure about him...

Quick Reply: Faint fuel smell at rear of rail/near FPR?