Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Faint fuel smell at rear of rail/near FPR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a dye that can be added to fuel to find leaks like they do with freon? Just thinking out loud...

Edit: answered my own question... Wonder if a local auto parts store would have this? Probably a pro-type shop like Napa.

http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Products-TP34000601-Fluorescent-Detection/dp/B000JFHNTM http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Products-TP34000601-Fluorescent-Detection/dp/B000JFHNTM
Old 09-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Is there a dye that can be added to fuel to find leaks like they do with freon? Just thinking out loud...

Edit: answered my own question... Wonder if a local auto parts store would have this? Probably a pro-type shop like Napa.

http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Product.../dp/B000JFHNTM
I'll look to see if I can find that... I've used the dye before, but always to tell where a leak originated in the case that there was fluid all over everything and it was impossible to tell the source... I don't know if it would work to locate an invisible leak..

I'm gonna put the car back up in the air tomorrow and check the compression fittings in the wheel well... I really don't think that's the source, but it's about the only thing I've got left... but I just can't see how a leak there would make a smell centered at the rail.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Soooo, I pulled the fender liner out today and looked at the compression fittings. There was definitely a fuel smell in the fender well as well as up by the rail. Also, I noticed that one of the brass fittings above the compression fittings was a bit loose. I had a small celebration to commemorate having found my leak, and then tightened it up. I walked away for a while to let the lingering fuel smell leave the garage... came back a bit later and gave it a sniff, and then cried a little. It still smelled like gas.

I talked to JohnKoaWood about it for a bit and he suggested that I check the compression ferrules in the fittings to ensure that they hadn't gotten cocked a bit or something. So I pulled the fittings apart and looked... nope, they're exactly as they should be.. so I tightened them back up and, again, let the garage air out. Went back and smelled it, and, hooray! The fender well/compression fitting area does not smell of fuel any more!

So I excitedly went sniffing around up by the rail... and... damn! it still smells like fuel.

About this time, I asked my girlfriend and my house mate to come and smell around for it because I don't have the greatest sense of smell in the world... They both smelled the fender well and said that there was no smell in there, and then both said that it smelled like it was coming from right above where the fuel lines drape apart to go to the damper and regulator, respectively.

So, immediately, I push the fuel lines apart and stuff my nose down by the rail... and smell nothing... I sniff around a bit and don't smell anything until I smell the lines themselves... then and only then to I smell fuel.

I didn't say anything about it to either my g/f or my buddy and asked them to pull the lines away from the rail while they smelled it... both said that they didn't really smell anything when they did that... maybe a little bit, but nothing really. Then I asked them to smell the lines themselves, and both of them said that the smell was definitely strongest on the lines themselves...

Why do my brand-new fuel lines smell like fuel? They've got to be weeping or something... but they're not wet or anything, they just stink of fuel!

AAARRGG!!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I chased a similar smell after I disconnected my fuel lines one time and some gas spilled on the outside of the line and in the fiberglass insulation. I even took my fender liner out and checked the fittings, etc.

Sooo, spill a little gas on the lines?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
I chased a similar smell after I disconnected my fuel lines one time and some gas spilled on the outside of the line and in the fiberglass insulation. I even took my fender liner out and checked the fittings, etc.

Sooo, spill a little gas on the lines?
See.. I was thinking that too, but no... not really, at least not that I remember. But, I know that I have a terrible memory... so I rarely trust it. That's why I tried depressurizing the fuel system (pulled fuse, ran car till it died) and then let it sit for a while. The smell went away. Then, I put the fuse back and jumped the DME relay to run the fuel pump... and the smell came back. So, it's apparently got something to do with being under pressure...
Old 09-16-2011, 08:12 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are these steel braided fuel lines?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crackership
See.. I was thinking that too, but no... not really, at least not that I remember. But, I know that I have a terrible memory... so I rarely trust it. That's why I tried depressurizing the fuel system (pulled fuse, ran car till it died) and then let it sit for a while. The smell went away. Then, I put the fuse back and jumped the DME relay to run the fuel pump... and the smell came back. So, it's apparently got something to do with being under pressure...
Either get another line set from Travis, or hit up your local hydraulics shop... it is aviation grade line and fittings, but you never know there could be a void in one of the lines allowing fuel to permeate the line.. take your lines to the Hyd shop and they will be able to pressure test them..

the pressure test will confirm either a line weap or that the lines are GTG!

good luck man!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlege
are these steel braided fuel lines?
No, these are the Aeroquip Rennbay deluxe kit... they're very obviously high quality... and they're brand-new!

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Either get another line set from Travis, or hit up your local hydraulics shop... it is aviation grade line and fittings, but you never know there could be a void in one of the lines allowing fuel to permeate the line.. take your lines to the Hyd shop and they will be able to pressure test them..

the pressure test will confirm either a line weap or that the lines are GTG!

good luck man!
I've got one more test up my sleeve, and, if that fails, I'll be taking them down to the local hydraulics shop.

Joshua (Rogue) suggested that I try capping off the filter I put back by the tank when I deleted the vapor purge system and letting it sit for a while... just to make sure that the smell isn't wafting from back there and getting stuck by the lines.... I can't smell the fuel anywhere except by the lines, and I really can't imagine that would be the only place I would smell it if it's coming from the tank... but it's worth a shot, I suppose.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:39 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I ran with my line capped and not vented for a couple of days and it worked find until I drilled the gas cap... every time I pulled the cap, I got pressure release, not vacuum, but then again, it's been really hot here until yesterday. Either way, I'd think you could go at least a day without a problem, just unscrew the cap to equalize the pressure before each drive.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Ok, so I capped my tank purge, and let it sit for a few hours... still smells like fuel

Just for kicks, I jumped the DME relay to run the pump and played with the lines... there is a definite "hissing" from the return line and if I play with the line, the hissing will change.... I've tried grabbing the hose everywhere to see if I could get the hissing to stop, but I can't it just gets muffled... I don't know if I'm just hearing the fuel run through the line or if that means that there's a tiny leak in it. There is absolutely no wetness though I am absolutely perplexed... maybe I'll try to take a video if it and see if it will translate.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
Ok, so I capped my tank purge, and let it sit for a few hours... still smells like fuel

Just for kicks, I jumped the DME relay to run the pump and played with the lines... there is a definite "hissing" from the return line and if I play with the line, the hissing will change.... I've tried grabbing the hose everywhere to see if I could get the hissing to stop, but I can't it just gets muffled... I don't know if I'm just hearing the fuel run through the line or if that means that there's a tiny leak in it. There is absolutely no wetness though I am absolutely perplexed... maybe I'll try to take a video if it and see if it will translate.
Ugh these cars are really good at making it's owners feel stupid, aren't they?

I don't "hear" anything on m car when I jiggle the fuel lines. Sounds to me like you've got a leaky line. Just a teeny tiny hole might be enough to let some vapors escape but not enough to leave a wet trail before it evaporates.

Can you disassemble the lines and check for splits on the inside of the hose where it attaches to the fitting?

One of the fuel lines I bought from Lindsey was damaged when they were assembled. The internal nipple, where the fitting attached to the line, was forced in and wound up peeling back the internal layer of hose and it leaked. In my case it was enough to make the line just a teeny bit damp after it sat pressurized for a minute or two. All I had to do was pull the fittings off and swap in a new chunk of braided hose - problem solved.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ugh these cars are really good at making it's owners feel stupid, aren't they?

I don't "hear" anything on m car when I jiggle the fuel lines. Sounds to me like you've got a leaky line. Just a teeny tiny hole might be enough to let some vapors escape but not enough to leave a wet trail before it evaporates.

Can you disassemble the lines and check for splits on the inside of the hose where it attaches to the fitting?

One of the fuel lines I bought from Lindsey was damaged when they were assembled. The internal nipple, where the fitting attached to the line, was forced in and wound up peeling back the internal layer of hose and it leaked. In my case it was enough to make the line just a teeny bit damp after it sat pressurized for a minute or two. All I had to do was pull the fittings off and swap in a new chunk of braided hose - problem solved.
I suppose I may have to disassemble the lines.. I would really rather not, but If I have to...

Here's a video of the hissing and me playing with the lines... I just got a new camera, and I'm kind of surprised at how well it picked up my voice... unfortunately, if you have it up loud enough to hear the hissing, my voice is pretty loud

For what it's worth, I've apparently gone longer than I though without a hair cut and a shave, so you'll probably get a kick out of how disheveled I look after looking at myself in the video, I think I need to take a break from the car and go visit a barber!

Anyway, let's see if this video helps communicate the symptoms I'm experiencing...

Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Well at the risk of taking the "parts changer" approach, vs. the "troubleshooter" approach... dude... I'd just replace that line and be done with it.

My guess is that there is an internal de-lamination of the hose.

For the hours you've spent on this now... is it worth continuing to beat your head on the concrete? Or just get a new hose and be done with it.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Well at the risk of taking the "parts changer" approach, vs. the "troubleshooter" approach... dude... I'd just replace that line and be done with it.

My guess is that there is an internal de-lamination of the hose.

For the hours you've spent on this now... is it worth continuing to beat your head on the concrete? Or just get a new hose and be done with it.
I'm right about there... Unfortunately, this may mean that I have to cancel my alignment appointment for Monday

Just to eliminate the possibility, I capped the fuel vent, and changed the regulator's o-ring. I don't think that the regulator's o-ring was bad at all, but I didn't change it before, so I figured I'd eliminate it... Left it for a few hours and still... it smells like gas

I guess I'll pull the lines and go see if I can have them checked out by the local hydraulic shop tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:57 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I ran with my line capped and not vented for a couple of days and it worked find until I drilled the gas cap... every time I pulled the cap, I got pressure release, not vacuum, but then again, it's been really hot here until yesterday. Either way, I'd think you could go at least a day without a problem, just unscrew the cap to equalize the pressure before each drive.
Dave, you asked about the hole I drilled, here you go. I don't remember the size, but it small like 1/16 or maybe 3/32.

Quick Reply: Faint fuel smell at rear of rail/near FPR?