Pics of interesting front suspension/brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pics of interesting front suspension/brakes

Pulled all of these parts off that 86 turbo shell I picked up. Interesting how low the brake line bracket is on these struts. Also no exterior brake fluid lines on the calipers. They fit under 16" wheels so maybe they are the same size as turbo S calipers?

Hubs are non ABS - must be off a 1987 but the spindles don't have an ABS boss so maybe they are still 86? I like how the bolts are threaded into the camber plates - they might be going onto my car...

Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look somewhat familiar ) Be interested to know the origin.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

928 calipers/rotors? A buddy has an S4 and his calipers look just like those
Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just noticed there is no pipe on the calipers, the fluid must be internal to the calipers. I noticed the pins when I was at the prior owner's house in October. Can one put Turbo S calipers on 86 spindles with the same brackets? I was thinking they couldn't (which is why I suggested you get in touch wtih Steve, since he is looking), but they do look just like the later offset setup.

Josh, I couldn't find the post, but someone had posted some up for sale probably in November of last year that I think were supposed to be for a 911. He was asking a mint for them. I tried to find out more about his, but couldn't. I am wondering if these may be the same setup.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not the Porsche S4 calipers/TurboS. The pad retention mechanism is different.

Maybe an early Brembo generic. The rotors may be TurboS.

They are certainly radial mount the same as the S4's. The spindles are non S with adapters.

I don't have a TurboS caliper picture, but the pad retention is the same as the non S ie the stainless steel clip. Attached is a picture of a TurboS spindle for radial mount.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
They are not the Porsche S4 calipers/TurboS. The pad retention mechanism is different.

Maybe an early Brembo generic. The rotors may be TurboS.

They are certainly radial mount the same as the S4's. The spindles are non S with adapters.

I don't have a TurboS caliper picture, but the pad retention is the same as the non S ie the stainless steel clip. Attached is a picture of a TurboS spindle for radial mount.
You're totally right, I didn't even notice the pad retainers.. doh! I just saw the radial mount and assumed... apologies!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely not turbo S calipers...should say porsche instead of brembo. Calipers looks to be from 928s...disc also has 928 stamped on it.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Part number appears to be that of a turbo S caliper according to my research.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:38 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Part number appears to be that of a turbo S caliper according to my research.
You know I read somewhere that the turbo S has similar calipers to the 928 S4 which may explained why it has the same part number and fitment?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

They are not TurboS calipers, they may be TurboS rotors.

As others have said. Porsche calipers have the Porsche lettering either raised or as decals on the outside. Brembo is on the backside only. Porsche calipers have the fluid line from outside to inside halves. The pad style and retention is different. They may well be similar size and pad sizing. Attached is a picture of Non S Pads and S pads.

You can see that the S pads on the right would not work in those calipers. The retaining pin holes are in the wrong location, and the Porsche retention system doesn't use them.

I suspect they are early Brembo, from another car or generic..
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2011, 04:56 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, they are 87+ spindles, hubs, and likely M030 rotors. He was using camber plates, which allows you to use them on the early offset cars and still dial the camber in. I run the same setup. Then they used adapters and generic brembos for the brake calipers, as they are definitely not Porsche OE of any kind.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wonder if there is any difference performance wise between the generic brembos and the turbo S calipers? Would the generics have been used a certain model car from the factory? (Ferrari or some sort of other exotic?)
Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Likely that the "brembo" marked calipers were an aftermarket kit, not originally an OE brake setup for another make of car. They appear to be the same size as the S4/Turbo S calipers, so would then likely be similar performance. But piston size might differ from the Porsche applications. Pull the pads and look at the piston diameters, and also see if they are scraper ring or dust boost style - which will also give you an indication of the vintage. Try to find a brand & part number on the pads. Would be good to know what pad model numbers are compatible w/ these calipers when trying to sell them.
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should toss those hubs.
samluke
Burning Brakes

The performace of the brake caliper is:

-Pad size/friction surface- More pad greater friction area=greater retardation force everything else being equal.
-Friction radius that the pad acts on.-greater diameter=greater retardation force
-Diameter of pistons used, which is the force equivalent- bigger pistons =greater force for the same pedal pressure.
-Pad type-ie coefficient of friction.

You would have to do a comparison to see if these were equivalent. There are charts on the internet for backing plate style, you should be able to match it.

Last edited by samluke; 09-13-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Pics of interesting front suspension/brakes