Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

says the guy who is trying to convince me out of putting z06 brakes on my 944
Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use all Z06 running gear meaning trans and brakes why not just get a Z06.

I like the build idea.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

or XSChop Lexus brakes.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Schuepbach

says the guy who is trying to convince me out of putting z06 brakes on my 944
Ahhh, but don't forget. The "Porsche" brakes are actually Brembo parts.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:52 AM
TX951
Instructor

I've been curious about that swap but at that point you gotta think, why not just buy a vette lol.
Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
If you use all Z06 running gear meaning trans and brakes why not just get a Z06.
How much skill, craftsmanship, planning, and engineering does it take to buy a Vette?

Vettes are common, 951's are not. 951s with V8s, even less so. 2200 lb widebody 500HP V8 951's... well you get the idea... or maybe you don't.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Z06 caliper dims. Theyll fit the 87-up NA spindles with an axial-axial mount adapter. Not sure what the port sizes are though.....

400 HP 951 > 500 HP Vette
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

very very nice
Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I just spent ALL DAY.. From 10am to 7:30pm fabricating and measuring and fabricating and measuring. I'm beat. I finished welding metal back into the large hole I cut out on the drivers side. I welded in /blocked off the heater/vacuum hole in the firewall. I did the same for the DME harness opening. Both are now solid steel. I also spent Much of the time cutting out the cross member "notch" for the lower engine, and completely changing the position of the steering rack to a much lower spot. I also moved the passenger side rack mount out to the far side. Plenty of room for a pan to sit there now. It's near impossible to move the driver's side anywhere but lower. And lower wasn't easy in the slightest. Much welding had to happen today. with both the steel plates to fill in the hole and all the aluminum for the cross member notch and Steering rack mounts. I also used the CNC mill to drill suspension holes 1" higher and .25" further out. I can't use those holes at the moment though because the other side is still at stock height and will take a lot of fabricating to relocate those higher. Way more than just drilling another hole. I didn't take pics because I still have so much more welding to go and the car still looks a mess.
I have decided to add another Steel cross member that will be like the arms of a "K". Hence chevy's name for their LS engine mount in the trans am. "K" member. A picture will explain this way better than words, but that won't be for a couple weeks now.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I seem to remember being bashed by people when I suggested using Corvette brakes instead of Porsche brakes on a track car. Good to see there are at least some people on here that can look past the name on the caliper.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TX951
How much skill, craftsmanship, planning, and engineering does it take to buy a Vette?

Vettes are common, 951's are not. 951s with V8s, even less so. 2200 lb widebody 500HP V8 951's... well you get the idea... or maybe you don't.
by swap i meant t56 swap, my 944 already has an ls1 in it

Originally Posted by xschop
I have the Z06 caliper dims. Theyll fit the 87-up NA spindles with an axial-axial mount adapter. Not sure what the port sizes are though.....

400 HP 951 > 500 HP Vette
ya i've been on the fence about z06 calipers, but I may have found a much cheaper alternative. Pics to follow in a separate thread in the coming weeks(if my idea works).

Originally Posted by 95ONE
I just spent ALL DAY.. From 10am to 7:30pm fabricating and measuring and fabricating and measuring. I'm beat. I finished welding metal back into the large hole I cut out on the drivers side. I welded in /blocked off the heater/vacuum hole in the firewall. I did the same for the DME harness opening. Both are now solid steel. I also spent Much of the time cutting out the cross member "notch" for the lower engine, and completely changing the position of the steering rack to a much lower spot. I also moved the passenger side rack mount out to the far side. Plenty of room for a pan to sit there now. It's near impossible to move the driver's side anywhere but lower. And lower wasn't easy in the slightest. Much welding had to happen today. with both the steel plates to fill in the hole and all the aluminum for the cross member notch and Steering rack mounts. I also used the CNC mill to drill suspension holes 1" higher and .25" further out. I can't use those holes at the moment though because the other side is still at stock height and will take a lot of fabricating to relocate those higher. Way more than just drilling another hole. I didn't take pics because I still have so much more welding to go and the car still looks a mess.
I have decided to add another Steel cross member that will be like the arms of a "K". Hence chevy's name for their LS engine mount in the trans am. "K" member. A picture will explain this way better than words, but that won't be for a couple weeks now.
you never leave ur shop do u?

Originally Posted by Scott H
I seem to remember being bashed by people when I suggested using Corvette brakes instead of Porsche brakes on a track car. Good to see there are at least some people on here that can look past the name on the caliper.
The c6 z06 brakes are nice 6 piston units and the pads are a bit cheaper. There is a company that has put them on 930s (http://www.goingsuperfast.com/) I just haven't found a set of calipers cheaper than say a set of porsche monoblocs.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Scott H
Well, any other corvette brake has a crappy reputation of bending apart from track use and not being use able anymore. Were you talking about using the 6 pot version?

you never leave ur shop do u?
I've been pushing extremely hard lately and all this custom "think of it, figure out how you want to do it, and then Fabricate it, Realize that didn't work and do it again" stuff takes a LOT OF TIME!!!

AND.. it was great meeting you. Not enough people stop by and say hi. Very glad you did. You gave me new ideas on wheel fitment and I very much appreciate that. There is ALWAYS something you can learn from others.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-26-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Well, since my head guy is slower than Molasses. I decided to go ahead and try my hand at the Plasma cutter. Loved it. it's easy as hell and will be using it every chance I get.

I did this so that I could make the Dry sump pan. I made some example pieces out of poster board. i decided on a 3rd design. I made it so that I could bed the material with our hand brake and save a few joints / weld lines. Stronger, less chance of breaking, leaking etc. etc. I still have to weld on the flange and A/N fitting. But i wanted to show you my progress so far since I'm so damn excited how well the plasma cutter worked. Designing in the plate thickness into the design with the bends is extremely difficult. I got through it ok though. Here are the pics in succession.

Here are the plates after the plasma cut them out on the table.

After some bends were put into the plate.

Tacking it into shape, joining the two pieces.

And finally some pics of how it will sit on the stock flange I cut off the stock truck oil pan. man that flange has a lot of crazy turns. My welding will clean them up quite a bit though. I have to do some more work to the flange. I then have to tack it into key spots to keep it straight before I weld all the seams. I have to get 10AN fitting weld bungs and weld those on. it will be done after that.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Well, since my head guy is slower than Molasses. I decided to go ahead and try my hand at the Plasma cutter. Loved it. it's easy as hell and will be using it every chance I get.

I did this so that I could make the Dry sump pan. I made some example pieces out of poster board. i decided on a 3rd design. I made it so that I could bed the material with our hand brake and save a few joints / weld lines. Stronger, less chance of breaking, leaking etc. etc. I still have to weld on the flange and A/N fitting. But i wanted to show you my progress so far since I'm so damn excited how well the plasma cutter worked. Designing in the plate thickness into the design with the bends is extremely difficult. I got through it ok though. Here are the pics in succession.

Here are the plates after the plasma cut them out on the table.

After some bends were put into the plate.

Tacking it into shape, joining the two pieces.

And finally some pics of how it will sit on the stock flange I cut off the stock truck oil pan. man that flange has a lot of crazy turns. My welding will clean them up quite a bit though. I have to do some more work to the flange. I then have to tack it into key spots to keep it straight before I weld all the seams. I have to get 10AN fitting weld bungs and weld those on. it will be done after that.

Looks nice. Nice work.

TonyG
Old 10-14-2011, 12:27 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Really is crazy how nice and cozy a v8 is in our engine bays! You do nice work, can't wait to see it finished!
very inspiring thread.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Thank You!

But now that I'm looking at the pictures. I didn't do the math on the thickness of the flange. It's now 1/2" too tall and using up precious height. I guess I'll mill out the center of the flange and drop the edges of the box down to what would be the table level. Or just make another flange.. which would make me wait until I can get a 3/8" sheet of aluminum. I'll figure it out.

And for the record. The cheapest pan I could find like this was from Canton racing for $500. Ridiculous. Some of the Cast pieces are pretty nice. $600 is a bit much. Maybe something like $300. But it's whatever. I'll probably buy one next year.

Quick Reply: Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...