Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=95ONE;8887037]

After all is said and done, I'm guessing 475whp or higher with a long power and torque curve up high. below 4K rpm will be somewhat un spectacular. That of course is of no consequence. 4-7K rpm range. I only have to worry about rods and pistons above 7K rpm. Everything else will be built for 7500 with momentary 8K.
QUOTE]

My guess is... 440RWHP-450RWHP.

Hurry up and get the dang thing built already.

TonyG
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TX951
Well, I've owned a handful of Mustangs and a couple of SVOs. Those tail lights were only used on SVOs and the 93 Cobra. The SVO had the black strip in the rear bumper cover while the 93 Cobra had a 1-color cover.

Are you running a stock transaxle? How much TQ are these suppose to take?
Well then you know your Mustangs like I know my Fieros. lol
I was lucky enough to have the AOR transmission option. It's held quite a large amount of Hp and torque so far. So, I'm not worried. and If it craps out, I'm not limited to a few options. I might go to the C6 6 speed. Not worried about it though.

Originally Posted by Duke
Shame that we won't be seeing your fabrication skills on a 3.0l 16v turbo.. traitor..
With that said, why don't you send me the parts you already designed for the 16v build and I'll put it to good use
I still feel like a bit of a traitor. I know I could have made one of the higher/est HP 16v's out there. But I'm still very happy with my decision.

Originally Posted by TonyG
Originally Posted by 95ONE

After all is said and done, I'm guessing 475whp or higher with a long power and torque curve up high.
My guess is... 440RWHP-450RWHP. Hurry up and get the dang thing built already.

TonyG
If I made that little horsepower, I would certainly be disappointed. But worse things have happened, and I would still be smiling from ear to ear out on the track. but I'm fairly confident I won't be that low. lets Desk Dyno for a second. using your motor as a comparison. 420whp. our motors are quite similar. both LS6 rods, pistons, and heads. both 347 cubic inches. they both have very similar cams. VERY similar. Lets just say the Exhaust will be even, for examples sake.

Now, moving on to what I think are the differences. The only accessory I have on the motor is an under driven low amp alternator. +3-5hp. I do not have a water pump to push. +3-5hp. Dry sump vacuum should be close to 7-15hp. (5 stage rotary planned, 20" of vacuum) I will have a sheet metal intake flowed and matched. Cam specs were designed for this type of intake. +10-15hp. I will have around 12:5-13:1 compression using E-85. +15hp. I have a 5.5" tilton clutch with extremely low moment of inertia that indeed shows up as horsepower on the dyno. +5. Ported and polished LS6 heads that if he does his worst, will only make +20 more horsepower. I'm obviously expecting more. (30+hp) Adding up all the lowest numbers, I get +63hp. 483 whp. Or on the higher end, I get +80hp. 500whp. hence my math. My numbers usually aren't total guesses. I'm constantly trying to work the details.
But, like you said, and from mistakes I've made in the past, I just might get some pretty low numbers. unfortunately they do happen. But to say it again. I will be so happy to have a running motor in my car while I carve corners around a track. SOOOOOOO happy.

I am now working around 2-5 hours every night on the car. last night was the first night I didn't work on it in a while. Tonight I finished up the final stencil (shape to trace out on aluminum, made from poster board) for the last piece of tin work in the back. Tomorrow night I will be going at it until I drop finishing that piece out of aluminum. Installing and sealing those in. Then Side Sill windows out of Lexan. This weekend I will try to finish welding up the stock aluminum Crossmember to accept the "K" member I will be adding out of steel tubing to mount the Motor on. I am trying VERY hard to get this thing out there. Replacing the whole A/C system in my house set me back quite a bit though. lack of project funds will be stopping my progress fairly soon. basically, the dry sump parts and Electrical will be the larger cost that is going to stop me for a bit. Aim IQ3 dash, headlights, wiring harness and ECU/tuning. All fairly pricey things. In the meantime though, I should be able to take care of everything else until then. I'm holding off on much of the safety equipment because much of that has expiration dates. It would be dumb to buy them too soon.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:45 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

If I made that little horsepower, I would certainly be disappointed. But worse things have happened, and I would still be smiling from ear to ear out on the track. but I'm fairly confident I won't be that low. lets Desk Dyno for a second. using your motor as a comparison. 420whp. our motors are quite similar. both LS6 rods, pistons, and heads. both 347 cubic inches. they both have very similar cams. VERY similar. Lets just say the Exhaust will be even, for examples sake.

Now, moving on to what I think are the differences. The only accessory I have on the motor is an under driven low amp alternator. +3-5hp. I do not have a water pump to push. +3-5hp. Dry sump vacuum should be close to 7-15hp. (5 stage rotary planned, 20" of vacuum) I will have a sheet metal intake flowed and matched. Cam specs were designed for this type of intake. +10-15hp. I will have around 12:5-13:1 compression using E-85. +15hp. I have a 5.5" tilton clutch with extremely low moment of inertia that indeed shows up as horsepower on the dyno. +5. Ported and polished LS6 heads that if he does his worst, will only make +20 more horsepower. I'm obviously expecting more. (30+hp) Adding up all the lowest numbers, I get +63hp. 483 whp. Or on the higher end, I get +80hp. 500whp. hence my math. My numbers usually aren't total guesses. I'm constantly trying to work the details.
But, like you said, and from mistakes I've made in the past, I just might get some pretty low numbers. unfortunately they do happen. But to say it again. I will be so happy to have a running motor in my car while I carve corners around a track. SOOOOOOO happy.

You're still using cathedral heads... so the flow will be limited as compared to a LS3 or LS7 style port. Our cams are close as is the exhaust. The water pump is a bonus for you..but probably not more than 5Hp (engine HP). The rpms you're turning won't take advantage of the engine scavenging effect nearly as much as say a 9000rpm engine would.. so maybe 5Hp.

I feel the heads, if properly ported, are worth maybe 40HP over a stock 853/241/243 head (using a big cam), the 2 points in static compression are worth maybe 10Hp on the top end, and the E85 fuel... well.. that's the deal breaker.... maybe 15HP over what you could get out of pump gas on a N/A motor.

The intake may or may not make more power... I've seen it go both ways... but my run is based of a LS6 intake with a 85mm throttle body. So you have to beat that. As a point of reference... the same setup with a 102FAST/102mm throttle body only made another 12HP at the crank over my setup.

So based my recent LS6 dyno run at 417.9RWHP, plus my estimated 63RWHP at 15% loss, equals 417.9+53.55 = 471RWHP... But I just don't feel it.... based on the combo of too many non tried and true off-the-shelf parts/fuel setup/intake setup... so it's a wild card if you will. That said... my gut says 450RWHP (ish) coming in at 7100rpm.

Is there a bookie in the house?

TonyG
Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by TonyG
You're still using cathedral heads... so the flow will be limited as compared to a LS3 or LS7 style port. Our cams are close as is the exhaust. The water pump is a bonus for you..but probably not more than 5Hp (engine HP). The rpms you're turning won't take advantage of the engine scavenging effect nearly as much as say a 9000rpm engine would.. so maybe 5Hp.

I feel the heads, if properly ported, are worth maybe 40HP over a stock 853/241/243 head (using a big cam), the 2 points in static compression are worth maybe 10Hp on the top end, and the E85 fuel... well.. that's the deal breaker.... maybe 15HP over what you could get out of pump gas on a N/A motor.

The intake may or may not make more power... I've seen it go both ways... but my run is based of a LS6 intake with a 85mm throttle body. So you have to beat that. As a point of reference... the same setup with a 102FAST/102mm throttle body only made another 12HP at the crank over my setup.

So based my recent LS6 dyno run at 417.9RWHP, plus my estimated 63RWHP at 15% loss, equals 417.9+53.55 = 471RWHP... But I just don't feel it.... based on the combo of too many non tried and true off-the-shelf parts/fuel setup/intake setup... so it's a wild card if you will. That said... my gut says 450RWHP (ish) coming in at 7100rpm.

Is there a bookie in the house?

TonyG

All good points Tony. I got a fiver on the guy who never gets to drive a car he spends $hitloads of money on. 475whp vs 450. Any other bets?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

All good points Tony. I got a fiver on the guy who never gets to drive a car he spends $hitloads of money on. 475whp vs 450. Any other bets?
Forget the engine... it's a, "can he keep a transmission under the car" deal...

I'm not doing good these days in that department.

TonyG
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Theres a guy in cali running a full c5/T56 rear end on his 944, he may even be using the C5 torque tube, its only a 1/4 inch or so shorter than the 944 one. I've been curious about that swap but at that point you gotta think, why not just buy a vette lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cryotreat your gearset and R&P
Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Schuepbach
Theres a guy in cali running a full c5/T56 rear end on his 944, he may even be using the C5 torque tube, its only a 1/4 inch or so shorter than the 944 one. I've been curious about that swap but at that point you gotta think, why not just buy a vette lol.
I agree get a vette and give me your roller.
:
Old 09-23-2011, 01:29 PM
slap929
Pro

Might be a noob question, but what do you look to gain with a 944 chassis over a corvette chassis? I mean, not assuming the looks and (i am assuming) a little weight difference, what is the advantage? Cool build by the way. Look forward to seeing more.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by slap929
Might be a noob question, but what do you look to gain with a 944 chassis over a corvette chassis? I mean, not assuming the looks and (i am assuming) a little weight difference, what is the advantage? Cool build by the way. Look forward to seeing more.
The vette's suspension is far more advanced than than that of a 944.

Also... fwiw, vette's break transaxles on the track too.

TonyG
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by xschop
Cryotreat your gearset and R&P
I was thinking of installing a set of external oil squirters.

TonyG
Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do both and add HP. The real improvement will be withstanding the extra V8 torque without snapping a tooth.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The engine weight is about the same. What you get is a reliable modern power plant that you can parts for at auto zone.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

944 can be up to 500 lbs lighter than a track prepped c5. This is mainly from what i've read, but between 95Ones car and tony's car weights I can see this as a feasible claim.

Originally Posted by rlm328
The engine weight is about the same. What you get is a reliable modern power plant that you can parts for at auto zone.
ya the autozone thing is clutch, except when you break a porsche part. Then its off to pelican and waiting for 3 weeks while you pay 14 bucks for a specialty fuel hose from zee germans.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Lol. Even my porsche parts aren't porsche parts anymore. Besides the transmission, floor pan, and rear control arms.. I really dont have anything else made by Porsche. Yep. Thats it

Quick Reply: Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...