Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Smoke at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zagone, thanks for posting the photos. I am sure it will help someone with a similar setup and engine as yours. I am running a more stock setup and don't have an oil catch can. Has anyone with a more stock setup run a custom PCV valve? Any photos or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
mikjel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thom
zagaone, thanks for your input.
If I understand correctly your set up, it's as described on the diagram below. Is this correct?
(It assumes that the crankcase will always be under pressure when the engine is running under boost)
The drawback with venting the AOS to a catch can / atmosphere rather than to the inlet pipe (before the turbo), is that you will not get vacuum in the crankcase under boost (like I have). But maybe vacuum under boost is not needed for most of you.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I know of one 2.5 951 that builds crankcase vacuum under full load (on this car vacuum is close to nil, but it is still positive). This car has the AOS routed to a catch can venting to atmosphere.
I ignore if the 3.0 bottom end has the same scavenging capacity as the 2.5 but I would imagine it shouldn't be far different?

Anyone on here using a vacuum gauge plugged to the AOS?
I will be doing this when I put my car back together but the sooner we get this record straight, the better.

Last edited by Thom; 09-24-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Clown
Instructor

Well guys installed the C-Tune and got the car running. I can't believe my eys but there is no more smoke. Its been a few days now of driving even took an extended trip. I am not sure what was causing the smoke before. Also to clarify, I am not running a custom PCV setup nor have I ever run one.

I think it must have been the turbo that needed a rebuild allthough I cannot prove it. Even though there was no sign of oil on the turbo when I took it out and the turbo re-builder said the seals were good and did not appear to be leaking.

In addition to the rebuilt turbo, I also installed at the same time a new O2 sensor, C-Tune, New Spark plugs, new wires, and switched from synthetic oil to regular oil. So I guess it could have been the turbo or a combination of the above that stopped it from smoking. I will keep you posted but as of right now there is absolutely no smoke at idle. I do get a puff of smoke at initial startup but that goes away immediately.

I feel bad for those still in the Smoke At Idle "club". I wish the best to you all and hope that I don't ever have to join again. I will let you know if the smoke ever comes back. Then I will probably be looking into a PCV setup. Good luck to you all!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

it's all good!

Originally Posted by Clown
Well guys installed the C-Tune and got the car running. I can't believe my eys but there is no more smoke. Its been a few days now of driving even took an extended trip. I am not sure what was causing the smoke before. Also to clarify, I am not running a custom PCV setup nor have I ever run one.

I think it must have been the turbo that needed a rebuild allthough I cannot prove it. Even though there was no sign of oil on the turbo when I took it out and the turbo re-builder said the seals were good and did not appear to be leaking.

In addition to the rebuilt turbo, I also installed at the same time a new O2 sensor, C-Tune, New Spark plugs, new wires, and switched from synthetic oil to regular oil. So I guess it could have been the turbo or a combination of the above that stopped it from smoking. I will keep you posted but as of right now there is absolutely no smoke at idle. I do get a puff of smoke at initial startup but that goes away immediately.

I feel bad for those still in the Smoke At Idle "club". I wish the best to you all and hope that I don't ever have to join again. I will let you know if the smoke ever comes back. Then I will probably be looking into a PCV setup. Good luck to you all!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, my smoking went away with the new turbo too. I can only assume that my rebuilt turbo was bad right out of the gate, thus requiring extra vacuum at idle to keep the oil from flowing out the exhaust side seal.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Clown
Instructor

Yes it seems that was your problem after all. Still scared that I'm going to see a billow of smoke come by me at the light one of these days. Strange not seeing it any more.

Matt how do you like your new turbo? Have you turned up the boost yet? Any plans to dyno your car?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Clown
Instructor

Yes it seems that was your problem after all. Still scared that I'm going to see a billow of smoke come by me at the light one of these days. Strange not seeing it any more.

Matt how do you like your new turbo? Have you turned up the boost yet? Any plans to dyno your car?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:42 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I love the new turbo. There were a few funky quirks related to my M-Tune being in E85 mode running 93 octane, and once I got that fixed, the car is wonderful. Cruising around town with light/part throttle is extremely smooth and predictable - you wouldn't even know it was a turbo until that thing spools, then hang on! It comes on pretty quick with max boost close to 3,000 rpm and it has absolutely no problem holding 16-17 psi to redline. I want to run at 17-18 psi, but either my Autometer gauge isn't accurate, or boost is being cut a little early. Josh is sending an updated tune, and I'm going to try to verify boost with a different gauge.

Either way, the car runs great now. No idle smoke, no fuel smoke, just clean stuff coming out the back all the time. Now I've moved on to other things like installing the WBO2 gauge, new door speakers, adjusting the hatch latches, replacing hatch pin, new window felts (prepping for tint), new wipers, rear wiper delete... well, you get the idea.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Clown
Instructor

Sounds good glad you are pleased with your setup. I have been running around 13-15 psi so far and have not run anything higher than that. Trying to break in the turbo a little since its rebuild. C-tune works great and the car feels very strong even at 13 psi. I don't have a WBO2 in my car either but am looking into them. Which one did you end up going with?

Funny you deleted the rear wiper. I just put a working motor in mine and it works great. I don't mind the look either so not an issue with me. I know most of them don't work but it may come in handy up here where it rains and snows alot.

I just fixed the sideview mirrow which was literaly hanging by the wire, still have to fix the doors which take two hands to pull the release lever, and I am going to paint the entire car in the next week or two. My rear hatch stays down but all I have to do to open it is pull up with both hands. No key necessary. I have to look into adjusting or getting a new pin. Projects never end.

Our main engine components are very similar I wonder what you are running for Horse Power? I think I might take the car to the dyno here in a few weeks.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Clown
Sounds good glad you are pleased with your setup. I have been running around 13-15 psi so far and have not run anything higher than that. Trying to break in the turbo a little since its rebuild. C-tune works great and the car feels very strong even at 13 psi. I don't have a WBO2 in my car either but am looking into them. Which one did you end up going with?

Funny you deleted the rear wiper. I just put a working motor in mine and it works great. I don't mind the look either so not an issue with me. I know most of them don't work but it may come in handy up here where it rains and snows alot.

I just fixed the sideview mirrow which was literaly hanging by the wire, still have to fix the doors which take two hands to pull the release lever, and I am going to paint the entire car in the next week or two. My rear hatch stays down but all I have to do to open it is pull up with both hands. No key necessary. I have to look into adjusting or getting a new pin. Projects never end.

Our main engine components are very similar I wonder what you are running for Horse Power? I think I might take the car to the dyno here in a few weeks.
I had bought an AEM UEGO gauge 5-6 years ago, so that's what I just installed. Thought about other options, but I like round gauges, so this one did the trick.

Yeah, my rear wiper worked ok, I just didn't like the look of that huge wiper on my rear glass, plus the big motor box in the trunk. We get plenty of rain here too, but it's generally "fast and furious" and concentrated in October and May. I'll just slather on some Rain-X when it looks like rain outside .

I plan on taking the car to a dyno in the coming weeks too. I want to get a few hundred miles on the turbo and an oil change first. My car put up peak numbers of 254 HP and 282 TQ @ 17 psi with the old turbo, 3" exhaust, APE MAF & chips, and DP wastegate with a weak head gasket. I'm hoping to see a good improvement over that - maybe up to 325 HP - with the Super 53, bigger injectors, and M-Tune. I also expect to see a much larger area "under the curve" because the old turbo was dropping to 11-12 PSI at redline and the new turbo will hold boost all the way.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Clown
Instructor

I am going with a round WB02 as well since I have a empty cluster hole beneath the radio that needs to be filled. I think that 325 is a conservative estimate I think you are probably now running closer to 350rwhp. Do you have E85 available where you are? No E85 stations here in CT only public transportation vehicles have access to their own E85 stations.

Refresh951 who dynoed his car a week or two ago and posted on this forum was running what I beleive to be a smaller turbo and similar mods and a test pipe. He came out around 337 so I think your estimate may be a little conservative. It will be interesting to see.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:58 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm staying conservative on purpose, I will actually be very disappointed if I top out at 325

Yes, we've got loads of E85 here in the area including just outside my neighborhood at a Kroger station. I want to dyno fuel first, then I'll try out E85 for a bit and make a 2nd trio to the dyno. Hopefully in the next week or two.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Clown
Instructor

Look forward to seeing the results!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every once in a while I have noticed that my car will have some smoke come out of the tailpipe or is burning off and the fans are on in the engine bay so it blows it back. I don't know. If its in the tailpipe it must not be all the time. What is the consensus on this? PCV needed or what?

Quick Reply: Smoke at idle