Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Smoke at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:10 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's just an occasional puff and you can smell *burning* oil, you may have a small oil leak from your cam tower dripping on the header. If you actually have smoke at idle -every time you idle (once the engine is warmed up), you may be a candidate for a PCV setup or turbo rebuild.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:28 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo was replaced with a rebuilt unit from lindsey racing 9 months ago. It has only happened 2 times. My oil level has not dropped at all since I.changed my oil 2 weeks ago. I have driven it pretty normal hitting boost about 1 or 2 times a day. So I doubt its burning oil. It's just.weird. I will keep an eye on it.

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Nice to see you and Rick this morning at Zimms. Car looking good, now really need to get mine going. Gave me the bug.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Nice to see you and Rick this morning at Zimms. Car looking good, now really need to get mine going. Gave me the bug.
Yes, the weather has turned and no more excuses
Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Same here, it's always fun to meet other "locals". Sorry I wasn't too attentive... my 2 year old doesn't have much patience .

Originally Posted by racerxrick
Yes, the weather has turned and no more excuses
Yup, finally! Which dyno (shop and brand) did you use? I've been to a Speedtek on the East side of Dallas once, and Alamo Motorsports in Arlington. I've thought about going back to Alamo so my new numbers would compare well against my old numbers, but there is a Speedtek very close to my office on 121 in Haltom City now, so it would be more convenient. I'll probably call both of them soon to chat and make sure they can give me the data I need... I really want them to log boost this time too.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
If it's just an occasional puff and you can smell *burning* oil, you may have a small oil leak from your cam tower dripping on the header. If you actually have smoke at idle -every time you idle (once the engine is warmed up), you may be a candidate for a PCV setup or turbo rebuild.
Okay so three times now I have seen oil smoke out of my tailpipe. It usually doesn't last more than a second or two then goes away. My car used to not smoke at all. I recently fixed the exhaust by putting in a gutted cat. My old cat was jerry rigged and was hitting the body under load making a horrible sound.

So basically the only thing I have done since the turbo was rebuilt/replaced was put in a gutted cat. I have only seen the car do this 3 times ever. Doesn't smoke at idle 99% of the time. Was the cat convertor covering up an issue? Is this normal to see once in while? What should I check?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Clown
Instructor

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I am having some interesting smoke at idle issues again. I have been meaning to address this issue for some time but have just been too busy.

If you followed this thread you may know that I was in the "smoke at idle club" but had my turbo rebuilt and the smoke problem seemed to dissapear. I did however notice early on after the new turbo went in that my car did still smoke once it warmed up and was left idleing in the driveway. This smoke would go away once I drove the car for a few minutes and would not return again while I continued driving or at any extended idle stops. This issue only occurs when starting the car after it has sat and cooled off for an extended period of time. Once I drive the car around and then bring it back home and park it in the driveway and let it idle the smoke does not come back no matter how long I let it sit. However after starting cold and letting it idle in the driveway, it will continue to smoke no matter how long it sits.

Well the other day I tried the vacuum cleaner trick. Here is how it went:

I started the car in the driveway after letting it sit and cool off all night. After about 1 minute or so the car starts to get up to normal operating temperature and then begins to smoke out the tail pipe. I let it sit and smoke for roughly 5 minutes and then opened the hood and took the oil filler cap off.

I then took a small shop vac out to the car, turned it on, and then started sucking the oil filler tube. After a few seconds the smoke stopped coming out of the exhaust. I kept the vacuum on for a few minutes and when I took it off the smoke came back a few seconds later.

I think I may be a candidate for a custom PCV valve setup as mentioned earlier in this thread. I do realize that the smoke could be caused by a coolant leak, bad rings, or worn valve guides or fautly turbo rebuild but I would like to try out the PCV set up before I tear the engine down and was looking for some ideas or input. I know others have successfully made these PCV systems and had success with them in the past.

I currently have the cylcling valve and three welded together metal hard lines still in place under the intate manifold. I am running a DP wastegate and I know I can elliminate the hard lines and cylcling valve by running a rubber hose from the Air Oil Separator to the MAF tree.

After this poing I am not sure what I need to do to complete the PCV system. I imagine I will need to make a T and tap a smaller vacuum line off of the new rubber hose that runs from the AOS to the MAF tree. The smaller vacuum line would then need to be tap into the intake manifold vaccum system.

I beleive that I would need to add a blue black check valve or a one way PCV valve on the smaller vaccum hose between the main rubber AOS hose and the manifold??

Matt I was looking at your photos and was wondering if this it was you did.

I appreciate any input.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I had my BB turbo rebuilt this Summer and even though it was diagnosed as troublefree and it hasn't smoked since, I chose to add the blue/black PCV line directly between the AOS filler cover and the intake manifold.

Have seen no side effect so far apart from slightly higher idle, accounted for by adjusting the ICV's duty cycle (standalone ECU).

Oil vapour may mess up the air/fuel mixture but I'm not too bothered since it would happen only under vacuum and the amount of vapour pumped up should be minimal anyway. Will see in the long run...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks Thom. I took the manifold off and removed the cycling valve and the three welded pipes. I replaced the pipes with a rubber 3/4 inch hose that runs from the AOS to the MAF tree. and then T'd off a small vaccum hose into another vacuum hose coming off the intake manifold. I put a blue/black check valve in place and then tested it out. I beleive that is the same thing Zermatt did in his video a few post back....

With the new system in place it is night and day, the car only smokes a little bit on startup and stays close by the tail pipe and then after a few small puffs the smoke stops completely! This is definatley better than it was. I could only get the smoke to stop before by taking the car for a 5 minute drive. Now it stops on its own in the driveway on a cold startup.

I now wonder if there is a way to increase the vacuum to eliminate the smoke altogether?

I've noticed no side effects yet and encourage anyone with a smoke at idle problem to try it out!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Thom
Race Car

Clown, when you had the turbo off for the rebuild, did you check if the vacuum line from the engine mount to the AOS was clogged?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Clown
Instructor

Thom- Not sure if I follow...what vacuum hose goes from the AOS to the engine mount?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Thom
Race Car

This one.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A couple more pics...

Last edited by zerMATT951; 03-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:01 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

I've installed a supra pcv valve one week ago. I've used an M18x1.5 to 1/2 adapter in the cam housing in conjonction with a 996 tt one way valve (3/8).

Car was smokking at idle in traffic jams and was sometimes smelling an odd smell of hot oïl at traffic lights (once the car is hot). I haven't been able to find any oïl leak dripping on the exhaust so I decided to put a PCV. Of course, I hadn't been able to duplicate the jams conditions yet but the smell seems less noticeable.

I have to improve the routing to get a dedicated vacuum line (the end of the hose goes to the DV and I put a tee in the DV vacuum line) and change the zip ties but you get the idea.

Pic has been edited with Paint...
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 AM
Thom
Race Car

What's the longest you stayed in stop-start traffic since?

Quick Reply: Smoke at idle