Smoke at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Hi Nick,

Funny you mention you once had the line to the AOS plugged ahead of the throttle body, as I was wondering if it would provide more or less vacuum to the AOS. On your set up it shows it didn't provide enough and that you get more vacuum from the turbo inlet.

Now that oil is making its way out of the top of the turbo, perhaps it's time to do the plastic bag test and/or let the engine idle for several minutes watching closely for smoke coming out of the exhaust?
When I took the intake off I found that the rubber mounts on the idle valve had broken and there was a partial collapse on the rubber pipe from the AOS to the turbo inlet. This may have been restricting the airflow to the AOS and playing with the vacuum in the crankcase. I need to fix this first and re try to see if it resolves the problem. I also had oil in the intake ports and on the intake gaskets so am guessing this was oil being forced up past the rings due to excess crankcase pressure, is this right? I only ran the car for 10 mins at idle I did not drive anywhere.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My 3.2 4 valve turbo engine, like all of you on the smoking at idle club, smoked at idle and had been doing it even after being completelly rebuilt and capacity reduced from 3.4 to 3.2 liters. After reading this tread I did the plastic bag test and found some positive crankcase pressure. Installed, in series, two original one way (blue/black) one way valves fron the fitting in the 968 AOS to the intake and immediatelly the smoke at idle stopped. I still had some smoke when pulling away so I installed two bigger one way valves, in parallel( too increase vacuum at crankcase and positive pressure flow out of the AOS and safety reasons), between the AOS and the catch can(vented to atmosphere) and now I get no smoke whatsoever. I still have to measure restriction under boost to make sure I have enough positive crankcase pressure venting capacity from the two bigger one way valves in parallel. But so far so good. Finally!!!

Last edited by zagaone; 09-19-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm back on the road again. I had to drive 15-20 miles to "clear the pipes" because the entire exhaust system had a coating of oil installed, but all is well for the next 15-20 miles. I haven't hit high boost yet, but I did do a few 12-13 psi 3rd & 4th gear pulls at 1/2 throttle or so... it feels nice and strong so far.

For the crankcase vent, I just ran a 1/2" hose from the AOS to the turbo inlet - no T at this point, and NO smoke at idle. I also replaced the turbo vent hose elbow (was hard as a rock!) with a new silicone elbow from LR. That could have been a contributor to the idle smoke since it may have limited vacuum going to the turbo drain.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear that you're back on the road! I can't wait for feedback on the new turbo!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Clown
Instructor

Originally Posted by zagaone
My 3.2 4 valve turbo engine, like all of you on the smoking at idle club, smoked at idle and had been doing it even after being completelly rebuilt and capacity reduced from 3.4 to 3.2 liters. After reading this tread I did the plastic bag test and found some positive crankcase pressure. Installed two original one way (blue/black) one way valves fron the fitting in the 968 AOS to the intake and immediatelly the smoke at idle stopped. I still had some smoke when pulling away so I installed two bigger one way valves, in parallel( two increase flow and safety reasons), between the AOS and the catch can(vented to atmosphere) and now I get no smoke whatsoever. I still have to measure restriction under boost to make sure I have enough positive crankcase pressure venting capacity from the two one way valves in parallel. But so far so good. Finally!!!
Wow glad to have you in the club. Happy you got out. Do you have any diagrams of what you did or any photos for future club members. I feel this thread that Matt started is going to help a lot of people now and in the future. It would be nice if one of the vendors came up with a kit of somekind for those that are not as diy prone.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
zagaone
Advanced

What I did is basically the same concept as the drawing of zerMatt951 in page 5 of this tread with the variation of using two one way valves in parallel between the AOS and the catch can and using the additional port on the top of the 968 AOS to connect the hose going to the blue/black one way valve and then to the intake.
In my case I don't think venting to the turbo intake will make any significant difference to the turbo spooling with the drawback of maybe dirting the whole intercooler and intake tubing with an oil film and altering the fuel mixture by mixing it with oily air, specially now that some(hopefully very little) oily air will be introduced through the connection from the AOS and the intake.

Last edited by zagaone; 09-19-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:01 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

zagaone, thanks for your input.

If I understand correctly your set up, it's as described on the diagram below. Is this correct?
(It assumes that the crankcase will always be under pressure when the engine is running under boost)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Thom; 09-20-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Thom
Race Car

Matt, good to see you have this solved. Time to enjoy the car.

ETA : we may need a new president for the Smoking at idle club, as the founding member left the board

Last edited by Thom; 09-20-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

One question for all the 3 litre owners....

I am assuming you are all using a 951 dipstick (as I am) as opposed to a 968 one. Is there any difference in the way they read full. Could we be over filling our oil if we read the level on a 951 dipstick as this is meant for a different oil pan?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Thom
Race Car

Nick, I checked this recently - the same dipstick is used and pick up tubes are of the same length, if shaped slightly differently to suit the respective intake manifolds.
Using less oil may help (in my case it helped to a certain extent), but it remains a bandaid and doesn't address the actual issue which is lack of vacuum.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 AM
zagaone
Advanced

Thom that is exactly my set up with an additional blue/black 1-way valve in line with the other blue/black for safety. As clarification for those that may want to use this setup it is important to notice that out of the AOS is just one big hose that split into two smaller hoses for the parallel one way valves and downstream again joining into another one big diameter hose into the oil catch can.

Regarding the dipstick I had this same doubt a long time ago and what I did was left the oil go down until the oil level warning came on on the dashboard. Remeasured the dipstick and found out it was measuring correct. So overfilling because of the dipstick is not the issue.

Angel

Last edited by zagaone; 09-20-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by zagaone
Thom that is exactly my set up with an additional blue/black 1-way valve in line with the other blue/black for safety. As clarification for those that may want to use this setup it is important to notice that out of the AOS is just one big hose that split into two smaller hoses for the parallel one way valves and downstream again joining into another one big diameter hose into the oil catch can.
This is actually how I initially did the diagram (I edited my post not long ago to insert the diagram as seen now), but in the meantime I kind of figured that using 2 one way valves joining back together before entering the catch can would actually reduce gas flow to the same amount seen right out of the AOS in the single hose?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Not necessarily. The tube/hose diameter out of the AOS is bigger than the size of the parallel hoses for the 1way valves. The same afterward. The hose going into the catch can is a lot bigger that the 1way valve hoses. This is the reasons I put the 1 way valves in parallel since I could not find a 1 way valve with the in and out tubes diameter big enough.

Your drawing is the optimum design. Is just a lot more difficult to put together. You will need to modify the AOS and the Oil catch can to accept separate and independent "circuits".

I believe I have enough venting capacity this way without the complication:
Big hose out of AOS -> Two parallel smaller hoses with one way valves -> Big hose into catch can

Angel
Old 09-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Thom
Race Car

Angel, thanks for the clarification, it makes sense.

I am interested to know if the line with the two blue/black check valves you have between the intake and the AOS is likely to get clogged over time. Please keep us updated.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Default Hope this help

Hope these photos help.

Name:  photo_2.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  37.8 KB