Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Smoke at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, Good diagram. I am beginning to understand what some of us may need to create in order to stop the smoke. Let me know if this PCV Valve stops the smoke and please if possible post some pictures of the installation so others down the road can be helped. Were you ever able to try the vacuum cleaner/shop test at idle in order to see if the smoke dissapears? You may have written about it but I might have missed it.

Also Mikjel, Do you have any pictures of your custom PCV valve that you installed to stop the smoke? Or have any tips in what to use?

If anyone else is able to create the PCV valve please post back and inform us whether you had success or not and what you did.

Keep up the good thread Matt!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, I get it.

ZerMatt, let us know how you get on with your set-up.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Clown
Were you ever able to try the vacuum cleaner/shop test at idle in order to see if the smoke dissapears? You may have written about it but I might have missed it.
Not yet, but I will do the vacuum cleaner *and* plastic bag tests before I start cutting hoses and installing new check valves. I should have all of the parts today, so I'm hoping to work on it over the next couple of days if I have some spare time.

Also Mikjel, Do you have any pictures of your custom PCV valve that you installed to stop the smoke? Or have any tips in what to use?

If anyone else is able to create the PCV valve please post back and inform us whether you had success or not and what you did.
I am also very interested in seeing what others have done to create a PCV setup. The diagram that I drew makes logical sense to me, but I don't claim to be an expert on these engines. I just want to make sure that I don't make an irreversible mistake!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Matt,

In terms of where & when we need vacuum depending on MAP, it seems to me your layout should perform well.

However, do you (and others) think there might be a possibility to experience significant vacuum loss with the added one-way valves and catch can? What about hose length?

Last edited by Thom; 09-14-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FIXED!!

I installed everything *except* for the brake booster valve and the problem appears to be gone. I'll hold final judgement until I can drive it for a day or two, but idling in the garage for 10 minutes did well once the previous oil had burned off, then after a 10 mile drive with a few stops, everything still looks good.

I'm actually debating now on the brake booster valve being necessary, but I do want to prevent additional air entering the intake manifold via the MAF tree pipe because it seems like that could cause idle or other issues.

I shot a video of the plastic bag trick with and without the new check valve in place - the difference is night and day!

Originally Posted by Thom
do you (and others) think there might be a possibility to experience significant vacuum loss with the added one-way valves and catch can? What about hose length?
Yes, I agree that could be an issue. Someone that understands how adding volume to the vacuum "system" on these cars will have to weigh in with an opinion there - I don't have a clue what the implications might be.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Clown
Instructor

Matt congratulations! I hope this is the solution for others out here with the same problem. Keep us posted as you conduct more testing with your car. Please post some video or pictures if you can.

Can a PCV valve you used be sourced locally? Auto Zone, Napa

Also there may be others out here including myself who do not have the five port intake manifold tree. Where do you think we could tap into some vacuum? What kind of hose did you use? Did you use some of the stock hose?

I am really excited by your results as are others I'm sure!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

great to hear Matt!!!

And I like your new Avatar...PLEASE post some large pics for us to drool over!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

For those who want to make their own PCV system, a good PCV valve is the one from the 1993-1997 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo. It is a PCV and a one way valve (air goes through only one way- verify before use). Get it directly from Toyota dealer, as the aftermarket ones must have changed and no longer function as a one way valve.. Price is approx $10...
For safety, it's recommended to have a redundant one way check valve in line between the PCV valve and the intake.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:05 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Obviously not in final "trim", but you get the idea...

Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

there may be others out here including myself who do not have the five port intake manifold tree. Where do you think we could tap into some vacuum? What kind of hose did you use? Did you use some of the stock hose?
I would think you could tap in just about anywhere, but the closer to the intake manifold, the better. I would pick a non-critical vacuum line to tap - maybe something going to the HVAC system?

Originally Posted by racerxrick
great to hear Matt!!! And I like your new Avatar...PLEASE post some large pics for us to drool over!
Thanks! Check out my re-assembly thread for lots of pictures... I can post larger pics if needed.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fast951
For those who want to make their own PCV system, a good PCV valve is the one from the 1993-1997 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo. It is a PCV and a one way valve (air goes through only one way- verify before use). Get it directly from Toyota dealer, as the aftermarket ones must have changed and no longer function as a one way valve.. Price is approx $10...
For safety, it's recommended to have a redundant one way check valve in line between the PCV valve and the intake.
What size hose connections does this PCV valve use?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
What size hose connections does this PCV valve use?
One Side of PCV (toward crankcase) is 0.5" (13mm) - Other side (toward intake) is 3/8" (9mm)
Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Will start a new thread with my new problem...
Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Thanks! Check out my re-assembly thread for lots of pictures... I can post larger pics if needed.
OH....darn (filtered at work!!!).

I'll check them out from home on my laptop...didn't realize i was missing out! DOH!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Clown
Instructor

Here is another thread from back in 2005. A very similar thread. Read post #35 from ROB where he mentioned adding a PCV valve from a Buick Grand National and the smoke cleared up. We never do hear back from ROB and I wonder if he is still on this forum or if the PCV valve worked after the initial startup and 30 minute idle he spoke of.

Just thought I would share this post so others down the road with this problem can research.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...moke+pcv+valve

Is anyone else out there in the Smoke at Idle club going to try this solution??
Please report back.

Quick Reply: Smoke at idle